Reliable PVR?

Old January 30th 17, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

Default Reliable PVR?

Hi all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I've been tasked with
helping some technophobe inlaws into the PVR world.

Now, I understand Humax gear is known to be fairly user friendly but
I'm not sure they are as reliable as I want to risk as a
recommendation (based on the one the Mrs had before I got her a
Topfield TF5800 like mine).

So, can anyone offer any personal recommendation for some kit that is
'not particularly difficult to use' (most people can get use to
anything in time), not overly expensive (comparatively) but is likely
to at least last a few years without breaking down please?

It doesn't really matter how big (small) the HDD is or if it has
catchup (although that would be nice) or even HD, as long as it works
and is reliable.

I would / might look for another second hand Toppy but I think HDMI
would be more convenient.

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

T i m wrote:
[...]

Well our two Humax PVRs seem to be lasting pretty well. The older one
is now over seven years old and still works as well as it ever did.
It's been moved around a bit too, currently on a boat in London.

--
Chris Green
·
Old January 30th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 11:57:57 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

T i m wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback Chris.

It's just that the Mrs Humax started getting flaky and finally became
un useable just inside the two years warranty. They swapped it out
efficiently enough but the replacement started failing pretty quickly
afterwards (and as I mentioned, was replaced with a much older Toppy
(that I re-capped) that is still going strong (as is mine).

When the Humax DTR-T2000 [1] came up after some Googling I sought out
some reviews and saw plenty of the same sort of thing we experiences
with units failing just outside warranty and for no fixable reason?

They could represent the typical failure percentage of any equipment
of course.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Can anyone here vouch for the Humax DTR-T2000 specifically OOI
please?
Old January 30th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

T i m wrote:
[...]

Looking at our Humaxen I see that we actually have three:-

1 x Black Twin Freeview tuner 320GB PVR (Grade A) - bought in December 2009

1 x Black Twin tuner Freeview PVR with HDMI & 500GB Hard Drive - bought in April 2010

1 x HDR-2000T 1TB WD bought in September 2015

These were all bought from humaxdirect.co.uk and I think they were all
'graded'. The first is definitely still working fine, the second I
believe is still OK but I'm not quite sure what part of the family
that has got to now. The HDR-2000T 1TB is the one we currently use at
home, nothing wrong with it yet.

--
Chris Green
·
Old January 30th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

T i m wrote:
[...]

Not a DTR, but I have a refurbished HDR Fox T2, which is now about 4
years old, and it has been fine. I added the CF Firmware, which made it
a lot more friendly.
But friends bought a modern Humax, and had to return it. The
replacement has been fine.

Who knows?

--
Davey.
Old January 30th 17, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 30/01/17 11:45, T i m wrote:
[...]

Have a look at Panasonic. For example the DMRHWT150EB.

I don't think that any modern PVR is user-friendly for technophobes, as
they seem to have umpteen functions that probably won't ever be used and
serve only to complicate things. And Panasonic isn't exactly cheap, but
in terms of reliability I've always been very impressed with their stuff.

You can always download a manual and estimate how easy - or not - the
PVR will be to use.

--

Jeff
Old January 30th 17, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
On 30/01/17 11:45, T i m wrote:
[...]

not helped be them all insisting on having a wifi connection so that they
can be "smart"

which was fine when they were the only "smart" box in your house, but now
that uses have an alternative 7 smart devices to use they really ought to be
selling the matched dumb version of all their range

tim

Old January 30th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 30/01/17 14:36, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:35:58 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 30/01/17 11:45, T i m wrote:
[...]

Real Sound has a few negative comments.

Did you mean Richer Sounds?

--

Jeff
Old January 30th 17, 08:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:02:37 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 11:45:07 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

I'd buy the current model of Humax PVR again.

Thanks for that Martin.

I guess like anything you can get 'lemons' so if I suggest they go for a
Humax I also hope they don't get the lemon (as we did).

The thing is, after many many more years than we had the Humax, the Toppy
started to become unstable but according to those who knew about such
things it was deemed 'very likely' to be simply down to a bad PSU and
specifically, a predictable subset of the caps. I changed the suggested
caps and it was good as gold again (and I have since done our other two
5800's).

Now, maybe that was only available for the Toppy because I believe it was
considered an 'enthusiasts PVR', with the Taps etc?

With our Humax (I can't remember the exact model .., 1500 (we still have
it a home somewhere)), I couldn't find anything that gave any hint / hope
of a DIY fix (and I tried all of the things that others suggested worked
for them), or any likely cause of the issue in the first place? There
were however plenty of people suffering the exact same issue at the time.

Were we just unlucky to be sent a replacement that also suffered the
exact same problems or was it in fact likely we were just sent someone
else's lemon?

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pete Forman[_2_]

Jeff Layman writes:

On 30/01/17 11:45, T i m wrote:
[...]

I was a happy user of a Humax 9200T for many years. However it does not
cope with the current number of channels, even though I get only the 6
basic muxes. In addition it will not be long before we switch to DVB-T2
only which will stop old boxes from receiving even SD.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/f...om-end-of.html

When I looked at replacing the Humax the HDR-FOX T2 with custom firmware
would have been my choice had it not been discontinued a year or two
before my purchase. Reviews of the subsequent Humax products did not
inpire me and I jumped ship to a Panasonic DMRHWT130EB. That has been
reliable with only a couple of downsides. Navigating through the EPG is
painful as you can only step by 30 minutes or 24 hours at a time. And
there is no search! On the upside there is remote access to recording
though the app to do so is primitive.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com