Reliable PVR?

Old January 30th 17, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

Default Reliable PVR?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:55:14 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 30/01/17 14:36, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:35:58 +0000, Jeff Layman

wrote:

On 30/01/17 11:45, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I've been tasked with
helping some technophobe inlaws into the PVR world.

Now, I understand Humax gear is known to be fairly user friendly but
I'm not sure they are as reliable as I want to risk as a
recommendation (based on the one the Mrs had before I got her a
Topfield TF5800 like mine).

So, can anyone offer any personal recommendation for some kit that is
'not particularly difficult to use' (most people can get use to
anything in time), not overly expensive (comparatively) but is likely
to at least last a few years without breaking down please?

It doesn't really matter how big (small) the HDD is or if it has
catchup (although that would be nice) or even HD, as long as it works
and is reliable.

I would / might look for another second hand Toppy but I think HDMI
would be more convenient.

Cheers, T i m

Have a look at Panasonic. For example the DMRHWT150EB.

I don't think that any modern PVR is user-friendly for technophobes,
as they seem to have umpteen functions that probably won't ever be
used and serve only to complicate things. And Panasonic isn't exactly
cheap, but in terms of reliability I've always been very impressed
with their stuff.

You can always download a manual and estimate how easy - or not - the
PVR will be to use.

Real Sound has a few negative comments.

Did you mean Richer Sounds?

I just had a quick look at the reviews on Richer Sounds site and the only
thing that seems to jump out is the slow EPG?

I setup an elderly neighbours TalkTalk supplied YouView box recently and
after the Topfield the general feel of the UI was that it was very
sluggish. I can flick about most of the EPG / general menus on the Toppy
nearly instantly with any hesitation that does come in now and again
feeling like 'ages' (when at worst is only maybe ~5 seconds).

The thing is, one gets used to a certain 'way' and I can be the worst
salesman when stuff (that could be good otherwise) doesn't perform as
well or as easily as what I consider to be 'the norm'.

I guess what I am saying is if I was to spend someone else's money I'd
like first to check that it passes my muster, either that on generally be
considered 'good' by most who have one and who have tried / use something
else.

I had a little taste of that when I recommended the Mrs use a Topfield
over her failing Humax (as she isn't the most patient or tolerant of such
technology when it isn't intuitive or works the way she expects or
knows). Luckily her 'but why can't I do ...' or 'how do I' type
mutterings / questions only lasted a couple of days and I've not really
heard a negative word since. ;-(

I think she was happy to forego a couple of bells and whistles as long as
the thing was reliable. ;-)

I wonder if you could find 100 'ordinary users' and got them to help
design the UI on such things, how much different they might be from some
of the offerings available today?

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:06:42 +0100, Martin wrote:

snip

Our first Humax is still going strong after 7 years, our second one
lasted almost exactly 4 years. We've had the current one since August
last year, two of the buttons on the controller stopped working after a
few months.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is an example of 'they don't make them like they
used to'?

And I think we all know that is often the case with all this 'built in
obsolescence' and 'price engineering'.

And 'we' (maybe not us here g) are blamed for this as many do buy on
price alone, not being interested in the thought that paying a bit more
*might* mean it could last a bit longer, assuming they were going to keep
it that long in the first place? ;-(

Because I am 'recommending' something to my inlaws ... and whilst I know
they won't actually hold a lemon unit against me, I really don't want to
be in that position and because I cant get them a new Topfield and don't
have a particularly good experience with Humax it doesn't make my job any
easier.

Then you can get some equipment that is made well and lasts for ever but
suffers from say a very slow EPG or some minor thing that becomes a big
issue in regular use.

Sometimes however you just buy an IBM ... because no one has been sacked
for buying IBM ... (so a Humax in this case)?

Cheers, T i m

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:44:33 +0000, Davey wrote:

snip

[1] Can anyone here vouch for the Humax DTR-T2000 specifically OOI
please?

Not a DTR, but I have a refurbished HDR Fox T2, which is now about 4
years old, and it has been fine. I added the CF Firmware, which made it
a lot more friendly.
But friends bought a modern Humax, and had to return it. The replacement
has been fine.

Who knows?

And that's the thing isn't it ... and why should it be such a lottery in
this day and age?

I have a cheapo Binatone alarm clock radio that must be 30+ years old and
still going strong (ok, it doesn't contain a hard drive but how often is
the hard drive the issue)?

Whilst I don't think I'm a 'typical' John Lewis customer I have bought
electronic equipment from them (sometimes paying a bit more) simply
because I get a 2/3 year warranty? What sort of faith do I have in modern
electronics when the warranty becomes such an important issue? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:54:41 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:44:21 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

snip

They could represent the typical failure percentage of any equipment
of course.

Looking at our Humaxen I see that we actually have three:-

1 x Black Twin Freeview tuner 320GB PVR (Grade A) - bought in December
2009

1 x Black Twin tuner Freeview PVR with HDMI & 500GB Hard Drive - bought
in April 2010

1 x HDR-2000T 1TB WD bought in September 2015

These were all bought from humaxdirect.co.uk and I think they were all
'graded'. The first is definitely still working fine, the second I
believe is still OK but I'm not quite sure what part of the family that
has got to now. The HDR-2000T 1TB is the one we currently use at home,
nothing wrong with it yet.

We have a Humax PVR 9200T, bought from Humax in 2009 as
reconditioned/refurbished or whatever the phrase was (might even have
been 'graded' as you say) in anticipation of the digital switchover in
the West Country at that time. Been in use for several hours daily since
then.

Thanks for the feedback Chrises. I wonder if these 'Factory
Reconditioned' units may have had the little tweaks not normally offered
to the std production run machines? shrug The one we got in replacement
to our 23 month old unit wasn't.

No problems that a simple disc reformat didn't solve.

Yup, been there and done that on the Humax but I can't remember *ever*
doing it on the Topfields. However, the outcome may be dependant on how
the system works ... if the boot function is typially run from the HDD
etc?

I looked at an old Freeview STB (possibly a Panasonic, with DVD and VHS
recording available) for some friends (who had already ordered a
replacement from JL) and I think the firmware was on the HDD drive and it
could only be put there by the factory? I must have done something to it
in my investigations as it seemed to start working again and I understand
is still working nearly a year later. ;--)

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 09:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:01:37 +0000, Pete Forman wrote:

snip

I was a happy user of a Humax 9200T for many years. However it does not
cope with the current number of channels, even though I get only the 6
basic muxes. In addition it will not be long before we switch to DVB-T2
only which will stop old boxes from receiving even SD.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/f...nned-from-end-

of.html

Oh. ;-(

When I looked at replacing the Humax the HDR-FOX T2 with custom firmware
would have been my choice had it not been discontinued a year or two
before my purchase.

I have seen mention of that model quite a bit so was it one of those
'good' units that no one can understand why they stopped production on? A
bit like the Toppy in its day?

Reviews of the subsequent Humax products did not
inpire me and I jumped ship to a Panasonic DMRHWT130EB. That has been
reliable with only a couple of downsides. Navigating through the EPG is
painful as you can only step by 30 minutes or 24 hours at a time.

So I read on a review somewhere. One saving grace here might be that
outside the TV, they don't have anything to compare it to so ignorance
could be bliss. ;-)

And
there is no search!

Ok. I don't have that atm (Topfield 5800) but do have such on my NowTV
box and have used it a few times and can see how it could be useful.

On the upside there is remote access to recording
though the app to do so is primitive.

My sister does have an iPad but I don't think she uses it that often (or
for much). Is that on the functional remote client list do you know
please Pete?

Cheers, T i m

Old January 30th 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

Have a look at Panasonic. For example the DMRHWT150EB.

I don't think that any modern PVR is user-friendly for technophobes, as
they seem to have umpteen functions that probably won't ever be used and
serve only to complicate things. And Panasonic isn't exactly cheap, but
in terms of reliability I've always been very impressed with their stuff.

One of my favourite features of Panasonic PVRs is the ability to edit
out the adverts so you can watch a programme uninterrupted, and if you
can't be bothered to do that there's a pair of buttons to skip forward
60 seconds or back 10 seconds during playback.

Old January 30th 17, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m[_2_]

wrote:

Have a look at Panasonic. For example the DMRHWT150EB.

I don't think that any modern PVR is user-friendly for technophobes, as
they seem to have umpteen functions that probably won't ever be used and
serve only to complicate things. And Panasonic isn't exactly cheap, but
in terms of reliability I've always been very impressed with their
stuff.

One of my favourite features of Panasonic PVRs is the ability to edit
out the adverts so you can watch a programme uninterrupted, and if you
can't be bothered to do that there's a pair of buttons to skip forward
60 seconds or back 10 seconds during playback.

I think I had that feature on an old analogue Lite-On DVD / HDD PVR and I
agree it was quite handy for those things you wanted to keep.

I'll have to ask them what make their existing kit (TV / DVD player) are
as I have a funny feeling at least one of them (the TV) is Panasonic so
I'm thinking if the one remote might cover two devices?

FWIW I really only ever watch the (Freeview / Toshiba) TV though the Toppy
so only use the Tosh remote to turn the TV on and off.

Cheers, T i m
Old January 30th 17, 10:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pete Forman[_2_]

T i m writes:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:01:37 +0000, Pete Forman wrote:
And there is no search!

Ok. I don't have that atm (Topfield 5800) but do have such on my NowTV
box and have used it a few times and can see how it could be useful.

Having had search on my Humax I did not even consider that other PVRs
might not have it. As an immediate example of its usefulness I have only
just discovered that Dave has started series 4 of Crackanory this
evening, too late for even Dave Ja Vu. I have now primed the PVR for the
01:30 repeat but it should not be necessary to consult the web on
another device to find that out. Many programs are rebroadcast at odd
times.

On the upside there is remote access to recording though the app to
do so is primitive.

My sister does have an iPad but I don't think she uses it that often
(or for much). Is that on the functional remote client list do you
know please Pete?

The iTunes store lists the Panasonic DIGA app. The service is also
available via the web, so she should be covered for recording. The app
gets poor reviews but I think that is for playback.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com
Old January 30th 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 23:55:30 +0000
Pete Forman wrote:

Having had search on my Humax I did not even consider that other PVRs
might not have it. As an immediate example of its usefulness I have
only just discovered that Dave has started series 4 of Crackanory this
evening, too late for even Dave Ja Vu. I have now primed the PVR for
the 01:30 repeat

I had my PVR set up to record the 10:00pm edition, but:
1. I got a 0 minute recording.
2. The EPG for that slot is blank, whereas everything else is fully
populated.

I hope the repeat works.

--
Davey.
Old January 30th 17, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Roderick Stewart wrote:

One of my favourite features of Panasonic PVRs is the ability to edit
out the adverts so you can watch a programme uninterrupted, and if you
can't be bothered to do that there's a pair of buttons to skip forward
60 seconds or back 10 seconds during playback.

The HDR Fox T2 has programmable skip forward and jump back buttons,
which I have set to 30 secs and 10 secs.

--
Davey.