Reliable PVR?

Old February 5th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Reliable PVR?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 11:12:16 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

As an aside (sort of) I think there are people who seem to 'kill'
electronic stuff.

I have that track record with PCs (of all formats)

tim

Old February 5th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 13:57:22 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As an aside (sort of) I think there are people who seem to 'kill'
electronic stuff.

I have that track record with PCs (of all formats)

Well, if it wasn't for people like you, support guys would have
nothing to do. ;-)

I often seem to have the opposite effect. When I was looking after a
local LAN and it's users I would get a call from a user saying they
couldn't print (for example). I would pop along (from my main role of
manning the Telephone Help Desk) and ask them to show me what the
problem was ... whereupon it would often 'just work' (much to their
frustration of course). ;-)

Their 'What did you do?' or 'How did you do that?' would be greeted by
just a shrug (what else could I say). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Old February 5th 17, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 15:00:27 +0100, Martin wrote:

snip

Slowly though the 'bigger picture' has been forming and I now feel
better informed, at least about some of the terms, the various brands
and models put forward by the good people here (including your good
self) and I can and will consider all of it as appropriate. I say that
because it could well be I take some kit over to my inlaws, set it all
up for them but get handed it back some time later because they, once
they experience it for themselves, decide it's not for them after all?
;-(

My wife and I are the same age or older than your in-laws.

Ok.

Perhaps they could
decide and set up a PVR by themselves.

They might be able to if they were *that* interested but they aren't
(or they would have done something sooner).

Old age does not equal stupidity.

Of course not (and I've never suggested such).

I don't
recall anything difficult in setting up a Humax PVR.

No, there isn't ... and I wouldn't bat an eyelid at pulling such kit
out of the box, hooking it up, and setting it up without even a glance
at the manual, but we are all different.

My BIL used to work on his own cars when he was young but outside of
maybe checking the fluids and pumping up the tyres, he wouldn't do
anything on a car now.

In addition he has never been interested in technology (to a level
where it became a family joke) and I think I remember them having
their TV supplied, installed and setup (?) by a local company ...
because that was their preference / choice.

If price is really no
restriction

They 'have money' so that wouldn't be an issue as such, *IF* it was
something they either needed or chose for themselves (like a new car
or fitted carpets etc). Now, if I could with some level of comfort,
recommend a solution today that would work easily and as 'most people'
would expect / desire then I would do so in a heartbeat, but I don't
so can't. ;-(

you could go mad and let them try a Humax STB. I paid less than 70
for ours.

And that (via my spare Toppy) may well be exactly what I do to start
with ... but in the mean time felt it would be worthwhile to 'ask the
experts' (here) because I'm not particularly conversant with what is
going on out there atm.

What I was hoping for is that 'Yes, XYZ Box is know to be suited to
noobs, bullet proof and cheap' and I would probably have sent them out
to buy one and installed and shown them how to use it in return for a
meal (they often conjure up some 'technical job' as a ruse to get me /
us over for a meal etc). ;-)

So, if I split the FV / HDR and Catchup roles across two boxes (for
now or ever) can you recommend a basic / cheap / non signup solution
(like the NowTV box possibly) that would fit the bill. No matter if
you can't, I just thought there would be little point me trying to
re-invent the wheel etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have two NowTV boxes on 'my' account, one here and one round
Mums. I can't see them wanting to sign up for anything so just want
said box for the catchup functionality. I can't remember if you can
just do that with the NowTV box or if you have to create an account /
put in your bank details etc (something else they are unlikely to do
and you only get 4 devices if I was to let them use it on my account).

Old February 5th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 13:57:22 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

As an aside (sort of) I think there are people who seem to 'kill'
electronic stuff.

I have that track record with PCs (of all formats)

Well, if it wasn't for people like you, support guys would have
nothing to do. ;-)

I wasn't talking software problem

i was talking (prematurely, FSVO) completely dead

tim

Old February 5th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 15:48:37 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

As an aside (sort of) I think there are people who seem to 'kill'
electronic stuff.

I have that track record with PCs (of all formats)

Well, if it wasn't for people like you, support guys would have
nothing to do. ;-)

I wasn't talking software problem

Sorry, did you read that as (specifically) 'Software support guys'? I
was a 'Field support guy' for 20 years and I would often (/also) have
to fix / replace faulty hardware (and because I was a 'hardware guy',
rarely got involved in any software).

i was talking (prematurely, FSVO) completely dead

And I wasn't discounting such. I also gave an example of other forms
of 'issue' that some people seem to attract, like lockups and glitches
in general (some of which could also be hardware related).

I have a mate who seems to render unreliable every hard drive he
touches. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Old February 5th 17, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 16:26:14 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 13:09:19 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

snip

The system will only lie down and die as demands for HD increase which
is very sad.

So they *are* DVB-T2 ready, sweet ... do you still have the TF5810?
;-)

Yep, in daily use.

The other thing I have read (but would happily be corrected on) is
that the 5810 wasn't as good a box as the 5800, I only know the 5800
and until I check what my inlaws have free connectionwise, I don't
know that SCART isn't out of the question. If it isn't I already have
a 'spare' 5800 I could lend them and not sure if I would want to spend
even 60 quid on *their* behalf for something that old (with respect
etc).

I only know the units with MyStuff software + firmware involved. The
5800 has a larger and easier to use remote with clearer buttons. The
available RAM on the 5810 is less which means it can run out of memory
if all Freeview TV and Radio channels are loaded so there is a lot of
emphasis on pruning, down to about 60 or less ideally.

I think the 5800 has a fan, the 5810 doesn't thought the support guru
at the toppy forum can fit or tell you how to fit one.

The front clock on the 5810 has a button battery which folk sometimes
forget.

I've had a couple of freezes and 4 or 5 years, usually associated with
moving or testing different transmitters.

And as per the discussion, the 5810 uses HDMI. We're happy with it.

Money isn't really an issue for them ... spending lots of money (by
their values) on something they have 'done without' might not be
forthcoming as would spending money on something new and with a
guarantee that was generally considered to be 'very very reliable' and
'works as they should'. ;-)

Well apart from flakely and replaceable (I did my own) capacitors on
the power supply and with the MyStuff suite it is reliable but sadly
technology will make it reduntant before too long.

--
AnthonyL
Old February 5th 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

wrote:

snip

The system will only lie down and die as demands for HD increase which
is very sad.

So they *are* DVB-T2 ready, sweet ...

(That wasn't rhetorical, I understand the TF58** aren't DVB-T2
compatible (confirmed by you below)).

do you still have the TF5810?
;-)

Yep, in daily use.

Gdgd.

The other thing I have read (but would happily be corrected on) is
that the 5810 wasn't as good a box as the 5800, I only know the 5800
and until I check what my inlaws have free connectionwise, I don't
know that SCART isn't out of the question. If it isn't I already have
a 'spare' 5800 I could lend them and not sure if I would want to spend
even 60 quid on *their* behalf for something that old (with respect
etc).

I only know the units with MyStuff software + firmware involved.

Me too from pretty early on.

The
5800 has a larger and easier to use remote with clearer buttons. The
available RAM on the 5810 is less which means it can run out of memory
if all Freeview TV and Radio channels are loaded so there is a lot of
emphasis on pruning, down to about 60 or less ideally.

Ah. I've never done any pruning (so should I, assuming there isn't
something doing for me automatically)? I have sometimes has some (a
couple?) of channels that have clashed and I have had to delete
manually.

I think the 5800 has a fan, the 5810 doesn't thought the support guru
at the toppy forum can fit or tell you how to fit one.

Out (3) TF85800's don't have fans but as you say, some people fitted
them.

The front clock on the 5810 has a button battery which folk sometimes
forget.

Ok. I'm guessing the 5800 gets it time on air?

I've had a couple of freezes and 4 or 5 years, usually associated with
moving or testing different transmitters.

Ok.

And as per the discussion, the 5810 uses HDMI. We're happy with it.

Yes, as time goes on I'd agree, HDMI is a better (neater, better
featured) solution.

Money isn't really an issue for them ... spending lots of money (by
their values) on something they have 'done without' might not be
forthcoming as would spending money on something new and with a
guarantee that was generally considered to be 'very very reliable' and
'works as they should'. ;-)

Well apart from flakely and replaceable (I did my own) capacitors on
the power supply and with the MyStuff suite it is reliable but sadly
technology will make it reduntant before too long.

Yup, same for me here Anthony (x3). ;-(

That said, I / we(?) can't say they haven't paid for themselves and as
long as we can replace them with something that doesn't constantly
remind us how good the Toppys were, life carries on. ;-)

I liked the POV of Youtube review of the Miraclebox PVR (that Alan
gave us) where she compares it to the Topfield and it being a
potential replacement. I thought the initial menus looked fairly
similar to the Toppy ones and the extended options looked similar to
those you saw in some TAP settings etc.

It's like anything ... I don't want or need any replacement box to be
or look like a Toppy or whatever you are used to / prefer, just that
unless any replacement can offer the same reliability you are used to
(pretty key if you assume it *will* record something important for
you) and be as easy to use (albeit that you have to learn some new
ways) the only other hope is it brings some new / better features to
ease the loss / transaction. ;-)

Like when you get a later model of a car and find you miss more of the
old features than you enjoy of the new.

Cheers, T i m