Stop the midwife

Old February 1st 17, 02:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

Default Stop the midwife

In message ,
Terry Casey writes

or http://tinyurl.com/z2j4lxn

Is the ghastly canned laughter English - or French?

--
Ian
Old February 1st 17, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Terry
Casey writes

or http://tinyurl.com/z2j4lxn

Is the ghastly canned laughter English - or French?

well here it is in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QAoyGCXhU

ISTM that whilst there is still canned laughter, it is nowhere near as
ghastly

tim

Old February 1st 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , tim...
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message ,
Terry Casey writes

or http://tinyurl.com/z2j4lxn

Is the ghastly canned laughter English - or French?

well here it is in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2QAoyGCXhU

ISTM that whilst there is still canned laughter, it is nowhere near as
ghastly

It's still ghastly enough. I don't mind some enthusiastic tittering,
but......

--
Ian
Old February 1st 17, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:07:45 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
Terry Casey writes

or http://tinyurl.com/z2j4lxn

Is the ghastly canned laughter English - or French?

Hoh hee hoh hee hoh.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 1st 17, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 12:30:32 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
says...

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:06:37 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

So when were two-tone horns introduced? when did they stop using
bells, what did they use in-between?

Assuming that they were introduced at the same time as the
blue lights, mid 1962 (at least, with the Essex County
Constabulary - other forces might differ).

I hadn't realised that blue lights came later than bells. I'll have to find
a few cinema films from the 1950s and 60s, and look to see whether police
black Wolseleys, sounding their bells, had blue flashing lights on them.
(OK, on black and white films, I'll just be able to say that they had
flashing lights, colour unknown!). I suppose in those days there was usually
less traffic so there wasn't the need to show where the emergency vehicle
was with blue lights as it approached because it was more easily seen as it
came up behind you and overtook you without (as often)having to wait for a
gap in the oncoming traffic.

I heard a two-tone horn the other day, which surprised me: I'd have thought
that all emergency vehicles on the road today would be new enough to be
fitted with warbling rising/falling pitch sirens rather than two-tone horns.

I do wonder about the sanity of the person who thought that *red* flashing
lights on a police car (in addition to the blue ones) were a good idea,
given that red flashing means everyone (including emergency vehicles) stop
here and do not pass - as used on level crossings and swing bridges, whereas
police cars use them when stationary at the side of the road having stopped
someone or at the site of an accident, when the meaning is the same as the
blue lights - take care as you are passing and maybe pass slowly, but no
need to stop. It tends to weaken the meaning of red lights at level
crossings.

Hazard warning lights are badly implemented, as they can give the
impression that the vehicle is about to pull out, if you cant see the
nearside flasher. idea is to use a double-flash cadence for hazard
warning.

Also those amber running lamps along the length of HGV trailers can
look like a signal to pull out when bad weather and some flapping
tarpaulin conspire together.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old February 1st 17, 09:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Graham.
writes

Hazard warning lights are badly implemented, as they can give the
impression that the vehicle is about to pull out, if you cant see the
nearside flasher.

...... as typically happens when there are other vehicles parked behind
the one with the hazard warning lights. It's a source of frequent
annoyance. It beats me why 'the flasher' feels that he needs to flash
when the vehicles behind aren't.