Stop the midwife

Old January 31st 17, 08:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Stop the midwife

Not h aving seen it I did catch an interview with some of those involved
recently and it was said that it was intended to gradually bring it up to be
present day, then end it.
Strange.
Not my scene really.
Its actually called Call the Midwife, but you don't do this these days from
what I'm told.
I do remember a game of the Spectrum called Stop the Express though which
had nothing to do with midwives at all, but everything to do with weird
Japanese ideas on game characters like a bird with a broken wing.

"Graham." wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:03:19 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Or whatever it's called.
Anyone watching it later, have a listen about 20 mins from the end. We
reckon there's a modern police siren in the background.

Bill

That series was made recently.

You can tell because there's more than 405 lines ;-)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 31st 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:50:14 +0100
Martin wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 14:19:47 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
I can remember the one at university in 1961 - lots and lots of valves.
Theer's trying to reconstruct its predecessor, at Bletchley, but there
isn't a bid enough electricity supply to the building to power it up!

valve computers were at the beginning of the 1960s, by the end of the 1960s
when
Endeavour was set they were long gone and some were quite compact. I programmed
one in 1966 that fitted in a 19" rack. In Endeavour it wasn't the size that was
wrong so much as it's general appearance, a box with a few brightly coloured
switches on it looking more like a drink dispenser and it's peripherals
especially two magnetic tape drives one of which switched fro the left hand
side
of the computer to the right hand side between scenes and the fact that the
magnetic tape moved smooth;y from real to real with no vacuum buffer used to
tension the tape.

I didn't even notice the switching around. The most glaring error was a
green screen CRT terminal + keyboard which were certainly not available in 1967.

--
Spud

Old January 31st 17, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:06:37 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Not h aving seen it I did catch an interview with some of those involved
recently and it was said that it was intended to gradually bring it up to be
present day, then end it.
Strange.

That's intresting Brian. I don't watch it, I thought it was set in the
'50.
So when were two-tone horns introduced? when did they stop using
bells, what did they use in-between?

They are running "In Loving Memory" with Thora Hird on one of the
channels. Cleverly set at an indeterminate time in the distant past.

I've got the theme tune going round in my head. The Bassoon needs more
of a solo repertoire.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 31st 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

Not h aving seen it I did catch an interview with some of those involved
recently and it was said that it was intended to gradually bring it up to
be
present day, then end it.
Strange.

That's intresting Brian. I don't watch it, I thought it was set in the
'50.

it's up to 1962

thalidomide, which was the running story of season 5, was withdrawn November
1961

So when were two-tone horns introduced? when did they stop using
bells, what did they use in-between?

They are running "In Loving Memory" with Thora Hird on one of the
channels. Cleverly set at an indeterminate time in the distant past.

Is that back on again?

I gave up after 15 minutes the first time the reran it

does it improve the longer you watch?

tim

Old January 31st 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:14:54 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

A comedy about dying? What's there not to like? ;-)

The worst sitcom for me was Terry & June.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 31st 17, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Graham." wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:14:54 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I watched the rerun of the first ep of:

No Place Like Home (The series that Martin Clunes first got a "starring"
role in )

And ISTR thinking, "this makes Terry and June look good"

(but perhaps I was just mis-remembering how bad T&J was)

tim

Old January 31st 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:15:37 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

They are running "In Loving Memory" with Thora Hird on one of the
channels. Cleverly set at an indeterminate time in the distant past.

Is that back on again?

I gave up after 15 minutes the first time the reran it

does it improve the longer you watch?

tim

A comedy about dying? What's there not to like? ;-)

The worst sitcom for me was Terry & June.

I watched the rerun of the first ep of:

No Place Like Home (The series that Martin Clunes first got a "starring"
role in )

And ISTR thinking, "this makes Terry and June look good"

(but perhaps I was just mis-remembering how bad T&J was)

I always thought "Allo Allo" was a bit distasteful. I mean, for
goodness sake, a comedy (if you think that's what it was) about the
Nazi occupation, one of the most hideous episodes in human history,
and at the time of transmission still within living memory for a great
many people. Yet some seem to have found it funny.

Compare/contrast it with the Mel Brooks comedy where a musical about
the Nazis is created to be deliberately distasteful in order to ensure
it will flop, as an insurance scam. At least they realise they're
writing about something truly awful, though if I remember correctly,
it turns out to be a great success. Perhaps that's the comedy?

There's no explaining human nature. Perhaps we're just warped.

Old January 31st 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Springtime for Hitler and Germany

Old January 31st 17, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

oh

it's a theatrical "angles" scam

tim

Old January 31st 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

Rod.

No offence is caused unless you are glorifying nazis. Ridiculing them
is fine.

Incidentally, I'm Jewish.

https://youtu.be/TjDEsGZLbio

--