Smelly Tellies

Old January 21st 17, 08:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Smelly Tellies

No not smellivision as in aromas generated to match the content, this is the
smell of new TVs. I was round somebody's house the other day and smelt this
strange smell, one known to me from many years ago when old valve tellies
were getting too hot and melting something important. Charred carbon
resistor and hot smelly transformers.
he claimed to not smell it, but I traced it to his TV, a Smasung bought at
Christmas. It was coming out of the vents just behind the screen. However it
was in standby. Apparently it was working fine. I did comment for how long,
but as he could not smell it I suspect it will just be left as is.
So my question is, not having bought a new telly for some time, is this
normal? Ie is it my old knowledge about this kind of smell which is now at
fault?
I suppose if his Samsung does not blow up or die it will be a case of re
educating my smell.
I have come across this once before in a Marantz amplifier, where a
resistor mounted inside on ceramic spacers got hot all the time, but I do
feel this sort of thing is a little bad as its obviously a component under
rated and wasting energy for no good reason.

Old January 21st 17, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

I traced it to his TV, a Smasung bought at
Christmas. It was coming out of the vents just behind the screen.

That's "new cheapo electronics smell", wears off after a few months,
maybe they should have a word with car manufacturers to get a can of
"new car smell"?

Old January 21st 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 21 January 2017 09:24:50 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]
Brian

If the smell is strong it is usually a sign of frying electricals. Amusingly we got it from a brand new ten year fire alarm recently (1/15) and it sensed itself. Sent back and replaced, but as yet no explanation.

Old January 21st 17, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
[...]

I expect it was a self-calibration run.

Old January 21st 17, 06:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
No not smellivision as in aromas generated to match the content, this is
the smell of new TVs. I was round somebody's house the other day and smelt
this strange smell, one known to me from many years ago when old valve
tellies were getting too hot and melting something important. Charred
carbon resistor and hot smelly transformers.
he claimed to not smell it, but I traced it to his TV, a Smasung bought at
Christmas. It was coming out of the vents just behind the screen. However
it was in standby. Apparently it was working fine. I did comment for how
long, but as he could not smell it I suspect it will just be left as is.
So my question is, not having bought a new telly for some time, is this
normal? Ie is it my old knowledge about this kind of smell which is now at
fault?

Early colour sets had selenium stack EHT rectifiers, when they went up in
smoke; the whole place stank like rotten fish - it lingered for weeks.

The Fidelity CTVs always smelled of scorched dust for a few minutes after
switching on.

Old January 21st 17, 06:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Phi" wrote in message
news

[...]

Smoke detectors don't respond to farts...................................

Old January 21st 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The last device I had that was not a telly that had this smell all the time
was a Jumbo digital Decimo clock. Gradually over time the large segments got
dim but not all at the same rate. On taking it apart I found it was a good
old mechanical electric clock driving neons with series resistors poked down
a plastic hole with a frosted front at each segment.
The neeons were being over run and tended to blacken inside due no doubt to
ions. I replaced a lot and after some months the same thing happened. it did
not get really hot but warm enough to heat the laquer on the pcb of course
causing this smell.
Not the best of designes I fancy. However it was cheap....

news

Old January 21st 17, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well yes, and the Decca colour sets had a unique smell from their
convergence pcbs when new as I recall.

And who can forget that smell of ozoone when the room was full of
condensation and you switched on the tv. Photocopiers and laser printers are
the only things that smeel like that unless you have one of those once
trendy ionisers.

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message

news

Old January 22nd 17, 01:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 20:39:50 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Well yes, and the Decca colour sets had a unique smell from their
convergence pcbs when new as I recall.

And who can forget that smell of ozoone when the room was full of
condensation and you switched on the tv. Photocopiers and laser printers are
the only things that smeel like that unless you have one of those once
trendy ionisers.

Brian

Trendy? Grandpa had an ioniser in the 1950s. A big Bakelite thing with
a lethal transformer inside.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%