Recording to a flash drive

Old January 20th 17, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Recording to a flash drive

One of my friends has a 40 inch 'smart' Samsung TV. It offers recording
facilities via a USB socket.

I told them that it should be possible to record to a flash drive. Now that
128GB drives have reached reasonable prices, it seems a practical
proposition.

The trouble is the spec.

One pundit wrote that USB 3.0 drives wouldn't work on a USB 2.0 TV socket.
Given that USB 3.0 is supposedly backward compatible, this didn't make sense
but the thought niggles.

Then there is the read and write speeds. What minimums should I be seeking?
The documentation doesn't even give a hint, other than to say what power can
be drawn from the sockets.

I would appreciate advice from the gurus here.

TIA, Alan

Old January 20th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 20 January 2017 14:01:19 UTC, Pinnerite wrote:
One of my friends has a 40 inch 'smart' Samsung TV. It offers recording
facilities via a USB socket.

I told them that it should be possible to record to a flash drive. Now that
128GB drives have reached reasonable prices, it seems a practical
proposition.

The trouble is the spec.

One pundit wrote that USB 3.0 drives wouldn't work on a USB 2.0 TV socket.
Given that USB 3.0 is supposedly backward compatible, this didn't make sense
but the thought niggles.

Then there is the read and write speeds. What minimums should I be seeking?
The documentation doesn't even give a hint, other than to say what power can
be drawn from the sockets.

I would appreciate advice from the gurus here.

TIA, Alan

I have a 22" not very smart Samsung TV (22H5610).

Attempts to get it to record on a Kingston USB2 flash drive failed, however it records HD fine on a 32Gb USB3 flash drive. Drive happens to be Samsung, but that is a coincidence.
Old January 20th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Besides you can get little cameras with usb ports that work.
maybe its part of the sets software not yet implimented.

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
One pundit wrote that USB 3.0 drives wouldn't work on a USB 2.0 TV
socket.
Given that USB 3.0 is supposedly backward compatible, this didn't make
sense

Yes, it doesn't.

I use a USB 3.0 Western Digital 1TB portable HD with MY USB 2.0
specified LG TV without problems.

I didn't pay much attention to the specs, most modern storage devices
should cope easily with an HDTV stream.

Old January 20th 17, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 14:01:17 +0000, Pinnerite wrote:

One of my friends has a 40 inch 'smart' Samsung TV. It offers recording
facilities via a USB socket.

I told them that it should be possible to record to a flash drive. Now
that 128GB drives have reached reasonable prices, it seems a practical
proposition.

The trouble is the spec.

One pundit wrote that USB 3.0 drives wouldn't work on a USB 2.0 TV
socket. Given that USB 3.0 is supposedly backward compatible, this
didn't make sense but the thought niggles.

Then there is the read and write speeds. What minimums should I be
seeking? The documentation doesn't even give a hint, other than to say
what power can be drawn from the sockets.

I would appreciate advice from the gurus here.

TIA, Alan

Some devices will record to a HDD but not to a USB stick.

My Humax satellite receiver is one.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old January 20th 17, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Me

On 1/20/2017 2:01 PM, Pinnerite wrote:
One of my friends has a 40 inch 'smart' Samsung TV. It offers recording
facilities via a USB socket.

I told them that it should be possible to record to a flash drive. Now that
128GB drives have reached reasonable prices, it seems a practical
proposition.

The trouble is the spec.

One pundit wrote that USB 3.0 drives wouldn't work on a USB 2.0 TV socket.
Given that USB 3.0 is supposedly backward compatible, this didn't make sense
but the thought niggles.

Then there is the read and write speeds. What minimums should I be seeking?
The documentation doesn't even give a hint, other than to say what power can
be drawn from the sockets.

I would appreciate advice from the gurus here.

TIA, Alan

My 40" Samsung "smart" tv manual says it won't record to a USB stick,
only to a USB hard drive.
Old January 20th 17, 03:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 20 January 2017 16:17:41 UTC, Me wrote:
[...]

See a different branch of this thread. It won't record to USB2 as the write rate is too slow, however a USB3 stick works fine in my Samsung TV.