Redesign I player more like Netflicks?

Old January 12th 17, 08:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Redesign I player more like Netflicks?

What is the bbc board wibbling about?
If they change it yet again so many smart tellies blind people and people
who expect things to just work will be incensed they will get buried under
complaints, unless they mean a subscription model to watch catch up, that is
going to be very 'popular' Im sure, pass the Russian hacked downloader.

Old January 12th 17, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 09:01:12 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

What is the bbc board wibbling about?
If they change it yet again so many smart tellies blind people and
people who expect things to just work will be incensed they will get
buried under complaints, unless they mean a subscription model to
watch catch up, that is going to be very 'popular' Im sure, pass the
Russian hacked downloader. Brian

Yup. It seems that most iPlayer improvements have meant that fewer
people can make it work, so if the Beeb ever get this done, only a few
people will actually be able to use it.
At the moment, I just use iplayer to find the URL of the programme I
then download using get-iplayer.

--
Davey.
Old January 12th 17, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Davey wrote:

Yup. It seems that most iPlayer improvements have meant that fewer
people can make it work, so if the Beeb ever get this done, only a few
people will actually be able to use it.

I guess there is no chance of allowing the Smart TV version to
access radio programmes like it used to. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old January 12th 17, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Unfortunately Getiplayer I don't think has accessible controls, but that
will be screwed if they change stuff. To my mind we should be going toward
standardisation of interfaces for all world tv web sites as it must be
becoming a nightmare for anyone who wants to watch tv these days. I mean it
seems Itv hub still does not allow the audio desrcribed track to be played
on their system. they should have this sorted by now, rocket science it is
not and Net Flicks and bbc and ch 4 have it working, somebody should take
all the best bits out of the sites and test them with a whole host of devi
ces and users abled or disabled and come up with a wonderfully accessible
site.
However I am still seeing flying pigs.

news

Old January 12th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't be daft I doubt the people behind that aare the same as the tv
folks.At present I have to convert them to mp3 from some oddball streaming
mode.

Today it should be simple We should have a client built that is accessible
that can read all these sites adand work out the streams etc, as waiting for
the industry to get their act together is pointless.

Old January 12th 17, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:31:07 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Yup. It seems that most iPlayer improvements have meant that fewer
people can make it work, so if the Beeb ever get this done, only a few
people will actually be able to use it.

I guess there is no chance of allowing the Smart TV version to
access radio programmes like it used to. :-(

Thank goodness for Kodi. I don't know about TVs, but you can install
it on streaming boxes, tablets, PCs and phones, i.e. almost any
computing device that has a screen, and it can receive just about
anything.

Old January 12th 17, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 12/01/17 16:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
Unfortunately Getiplayer I don't think has accessible controls, but that
will be screwed if they change stuff.

FWIW The current version of get-iplayer has a very simple command line
syntax.

Just the get-iplayer command followed by an URL, which can be copied
from the BBC iplayer site for a program description. Just doing that
will get a media file downloaded.

This is all of course depending how accessible the windows command
prompt is.

--
Adrian C
Old January 12th 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 17:10:55 +0000
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

FWIW The current version of get-iplayer has a very simple command
line syntax.

Just the get-iplayer command followed by an URL, which can be copied
from the BBC iplayer site for a program description. Just doing that
will get a media file downloaded.

That is exactly how I use it, plus an option to include the subtitles.
It could hardly be simpler, and I can then watch it at my leisure. BBC's
method of saving it for later viewing failed as soon as they improved
it. 'Nuff said.

--
Davey.
Old January 12th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

wrote:

Yup. It seems that most iPlayer improvements have meant that fewer
people can make it work, so if the Beeb ever get this done, only a few
people will actually be able to use it.

I guess there is no chance of allowing the Smart TV version to
access radio programmes like it used to. :-(

Thank goodness for Kodi. I don't know about TVs,

Kodi (and Plex as well) works on Sony Android TVs. Given what Kodi can
be (allegedly) used for, I half expected Sony to put the brakes on that.
But no?

Perhaps they are playing the long game packet sniffing folks networks ...

(Oops, Did I say that out loud...)

--
Not Me

Old January 12th 17, 04:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 12/01/17 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the bbc board wibbling about?
If they change it yet again so many smart tellies blind people and people
who expect things to just work will be incensed they will get buried under
complaints, unless they mean a subscription model to watch catch up, that is
going to be very 'popular' Im sure, pass the Russian hacked downloader.
Brian

Brian, just came across this 3 year old BBC internet blog wibble about
the BBC using assistive labels on mobile devices connected to a smart TV
via Chromecast and then using Android talkback / iOS voiceover. This
should still work?

A quote from the article ...

"Chromecast allows you to use your device as a remote control and cut
out using TV remotes and user interfaces. This is a significant step in
providing additional choice in how disabled audiences can consume BBC
iPlayer content as for many disabled people using a remote control or
navigating a TV interface can be problematic. Using an already familiar
device such as Android or iOS that offer a multitude of accessibility
settings that allow mobility, vision, hearing or cognitively impaired
users to effortlessly cast content to their TV could be a significant
step forward.

"Obvious beneficiaries are blind and partially sighted users who would
otherwise have to invest in TVs with talking menus, which can be costly,
or rely on sighted assistance. A wide variety of other users may also
benefit: older users, people with low vision or cognitive impairments
who may find it hard to understand a TV interface or what button does
what on a TV remote. If you use a smartphone or tablet it is arguably
easier to learn how to use one device that you can use for multiple
tasks rather than a variety of devices for a multiple tasks.

"For blind and low vision users, as well as some users with cognitive
impairments, both the BBC iPlayer iOS and Android apps have labels on
all the Chromecast buttons that can be read out. Using Android Talkback
and iOS VoiceOver you can expect to be able to connect Chromecast to
your TV, play/pause content, rewind and forward-wind content and adjust
the volume. Subtitle users can also switch subtitles on and off from
their device and stream them directly to their TV."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/...7-9297fd015fbd

--
Adrian C