Redesign I player more like Netflicks?

Old January 12th 17, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Redesign I player more like Netflicks?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:31:07 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:
Davey wrote:

Yup. It seems that most iPlayer improvements have meant that fewer
people can make it work, so if the Beeb ever get this done, only a

few
people will actually be able to use it.

I guess there is no chance of allowing the Smart TV version to
access radio programmes like it used to. :-(

Depending on what you watch, you'll find an awful lot of programmes
available as podcasts, which you can listen to at your leisu
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

--
Max Demian
Old January 13th 17, 07:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Max Demian wrote:

Depending on what you watch, you'll find an awful lot of programmes
available as podcasts, which you can listen to at your leisu
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

Thanks, I know that, and do indeed subscribe to several. Because,
presumably, of rights issues, there are quite a lot I wish were
also available.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old January 13th 17, 10:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Adrian Caspersz
wrote:
On 12/01/17 16:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
Unfortunately Getiplayer I don't think has accessible controls, but
that will be screwed if they change stuff.

FWIW The current version of get-iplayer has a very simple command line
syntax.

Just the get-iplayer command followed by an URL, which can be copied
from the BBC iplayer site for a program description. Just doing that
will get a media file downloaded.

This is all of course depending how accessible the windows command
prompt is.

Similar thoughts came to my mind. In principle get-iplayer (the free one,
not the BBC item of the same name) is text-based in its interface. So if
someone can run it via a terminal with the text readable - either due to
being made large or a 'screen reader' - it should work.

The only added snag that occurred to me is that I use the BBC's pages to
look at schedules and find the PID's. How awkward will that be for people
with sight problems, I don't know. Something Brian could perhaps comment
upon.

Old January 13th 17, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes well its not apparently working, as the last time I asked it was not
working, and have had no update to that.
Mind you, I do feel for the non technical person who just wants to watch
some telly when they want to watch it, something we could do with an old
fashioned vcr back in the 1970s.

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 12/01/17 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the bbc board wibbling about?
If they change it yet again so many smart tellies blind people and
people
who expect things to just work will be incensed they will get buried
under
complaints, unless they mean a subscription model to watch catch up, that
is
going to be very 'popular' Im sure, pass the Russian hacked downloader.
Brian

Brian, just came across this 3 year old BBC internet blog wibble about the
BBC using assistive labels on mobile devices connected to a smart TV via
Chromecast and then using Android talkback / iOS voiceover. This should
still work?

A quote from the article ...

"Chromecast allows you to use your device as a remote control and cut out
using TV remotes and user interfaces. This is a significant step in
providing additional choice in how disabled audiences can consume BBC
iPlayer content as for many disabled people using a remote control or
navigating a TV interface can be problematic. Using an already familiar
device such as Android or iOS that offer a multitude of accessibility
settings that allow mobility, vision, hearing or cognitively impaired
users to effortlessly cast content to their TV could be a significant step
forward.

"Obvious beneficiaries are blind and partially sighted users who would
otherwise have to invest in TVs with talking menus, which can be costly,
or rely on sighted assistance. A wide variety of other users may also
benefit: older users, people with low vision or cognitive impairments who
may find it hard to understand a TV interface or what button does what on
a TV remote. If you use a smartphone or tablet it is arguably easier to
learn how to use one device that you can use for multiple tasks rather
than a variety of devices for a multiple tasks.

"For blind and low vision users, as well as some users with cognitive
impairments, both the BBC iPlayer iOS and Android apps have labels on all
the Chromecast buttons that can be read out. Using Android Talkback and
iOS VoiceOver you can expect to be able to connect Chromecast to your TV,
play/pause content, rewind and forward-wind content and adjust the volume.
Subtitle users can also switch subtitles on and off from their device and
stream them directly to their TV."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/...7-9297fd015fbd

--
Adrian C

Old January 14th 17, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
What is the bbc board wibbling about?

well as I have just used iPlayer on my smartTV to catch up with something
that I forgot to record

I missed having the skip forward/backwards feature that my PVR has, Fast F/B
is such a PITA

tim