Who decides about what to AD?

Old January 10th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Who decides about what to AD?

I ask as there seems no particular logic to it. The program on Bones needed
it but did not have it. Last night a film on Film 4 called The frogmen, an
old war film had it, but more modern films on there don't have it.
I think the old Avengers could do with it for the new viewers, but it does
not have it, likewise a lot of the new US series on the five channels do not
have it, but some do with no particular obvious reason.

Its all very strange.

Old January 10th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Why does the signing person stand obscuring the right side of the picture
and not in the margin provided.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:02:22 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

I ask as there seems no particular logic to it. The program on Bones
needed
it but did not have it. Last night a film on Film 4 called The frogmen, an
old war film had it, but more modern films on there don't have it.
I think the old Avengers could do with it for the new viewers, but it
does
not have it, likewise a lot of the new US series on the five channels do
not
have it, but some do with no particular obvious reason.

Who decides not to include the subtitles on DVDs of BBC programmes and
why?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old January 10th 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:46:42 +0100
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:20:09 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

Why does the signing person stand obscuring the right side of the picture
and not in the margin provided.

Why does anybody need signing and subtitles?

I do hope you're being sarcastic.

--
Spud

Old January 10th 17, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, signing is more of a descriptive art and subtitles are just t the
words, I suppose.
I'm not sure who the signing is in fact for as from what I know of
attention, its actually far easier to read subtitles and see the action than
it is to decode the signing and watch the action.

Its all to do with the use of different parts of the brain.
For my part, I do despair at some of the ad which amounts to just saying the
bleedin obvious. We need the body language and the context, not just that
there is asilly looking person walking in the room.

Old January 10th 17, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

The signer is part of the video stream. There is no capacity to add a
separate stream.

Work was being done by R & D, while I was in the job, to find a way to
add an avatar system to the streams. But there are obvious problems,
since this was back in 2004 when I retired.

On 10/01/2017 16:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah there you go, probably cos they don't know the margin exists.

I'm not sure how the signer is recorded, ie is it a sep video stream with
picture in picture, orj just as part of the video stream, in which caase
maybe the margin is not accessible to be used.

Old January 10th 17, 08:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:20:09 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

Why does the signing person stand obscuring the right side of the picture
and not in the margin provided.

Why does anybody need signing and subtitles?

I wondered about that when, a few years ago, we went to the Royal Opera
House. You wouldn't be able to hear the singing via signing.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 10th 17, 11:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:08:36 +0000 (GMT)
charles wrote:

wrote:

Why does the signing person stand obscuring the right side of the
picture and not in the margin provided.

Why does anybody need signing and subtitles?

I wondered about that when, a few years ago, we went to the Royal
Opera House. You wouldn't be able to hear the singing via signing.

I once attended the funeral of a severely deaf person, the father of a
friend. He had been part of the Profoundly Deaf community in Michigan.
During the Service, held in a large Church, there was a signing priest
to keep the mostly deaf congregation informed as to what was being said
by the priest holding the service. During this, a conversation
sprung up between several of the deaf congregation members spread
across the auditorium, and it escalated into a furious, but silent,
flurry of conversation. It was a most surreal experience. I felt quite
exhausted when it was over.

--
Davey.
Old January 11th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

They missed a golden opportunity. Since the days of teletext we've
been familiar with the concept of sending subtitles as a separate data
stream from the main programme, to be added optionally to the display
in the receiver. I still find it astonishing that nobody thought of
doing the same with signing for the deaf. The extra bandwidth
allocated for the so-called "interactive" features that are actually
nothing of the sort could easily have been allocated to this instead,
then those who needed signing could have it on any programme at any
time without bothering those who didn't want it.

Rod.