Urgent police request for Samsung 42" rear projection televisons,functionality does not matter for house fire reconstruction

Old January 8th 17, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

Default Urgent police request for Samsung 42" rear projection televisons, functionality does not matter for house fire reconstruction

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 08/01/2017 12:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
How strange. I would not donate one if I had one they might set fire to
it!
This sounds like it might be a good brownie point earner for Samsung
themselves.

I assume the Fuzz have contacted Samsung, I'd be amazed if a company of
that size can't assist them !

well it is Samsung!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...eplace-it.html

"Why was Samsung so reluctant to speak to me? Perhaps it fears that if it
is seen behaving decently to one customer then others might expect it to
behave decently when they have problems.

Well, Samsung, let me explain: That is exactly what customer service is
about. It is how you enhance your reputation."

Absolutely typical I'm afraid.

When will people learn that their contract is with the retailer, not the
manufacturer. If they had taken it back to the supplier it would probably
have been resolved within a month if not much less

My Hitachi DAB/CD was demo model for an end of line product - and the store
chain went bust anyway.

Hitachi told me that because it was made in China; they had no technical
information on it whatsoever.

Luckily I found the fault and fixed it - eventually.

Most big brands outsource production - and most don't bother organising any
kind of after sales support.

Old January 8th 17, 05:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

have been resolved within a month if not much less - but the man from the
Mail survives on not giving them that info and keeps his job.

you obviously didn't' read it

it was taken away by the manufacturer for a warranty repair and returned
back in a worse condition

that they also had rights against the retailer doesn't mean that they have
to use them

tim

Old January 8th 17, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 08/01/17 14:31, Woody wrote:
"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

probably have been resolved within a month if not much less - but the
man from the Mail survives on not giving them that info and keeps his
job.

D'oh!

The handling of customer returns and warranty repairs is a murky
environment of middle-men, testers, fixers, repackers and the guys that
turn up at car boot sales and unload lorries of untested tat, that
strangely folks flock to buy.

Some retailers direct customers with faults to a helpline service, in
the hope that either it's user error which can be fixed with guidance,
or that it's possible to get a faster turnaround for manufacturer's
service, than relying on going through the retailer.

Some retailers are actually paid for shop / shelf space for
manufacturers to sell their stuff - so in that case they would not want
to pay for warranty handling costs should they rise.

We returned a faulty camera once to Argos, who then returned it to
Samsumg - who fixed and sent it back for collection. That truly took
ages but ended OK.

If accessible I wouldn't rule out direct manufacturer service, but then
ye lose rights to refund or something if ye accept a repair attempt?

--
Adrian C
Old January 8th 17, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi,
West Yorkshire police urgently need a particular 42" Samsung rear
projection television, working or not for a house fire reconstruction.

As part of their investigation, detectives want to recreate what happened
but need a specific Samsung TV.

They are appealing for one of the following 42in rear projection TV sets
to be donated: HCM4216W, HCM4216H, HCM4215W, HCM422W or SP42W5HF.

Anyone who can help, or knows where one of these TVs can be found, is
asked to contact Det Con Emma Forber or Det Con Simon Thomas at Kirklees
CID on 101 quoting reference number 13160075908.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...olice-12417659

sci.electrinics.repair is a group where you might find someone that just
happens to have one gathering dust at the back of the workshop.

But its not a UK only group - so a small % of any replies will be
relevant.

There's various free recycling groups like Freegle and Freecycle - if you
have time to sign up with each one and post a "wanted".

eBay might be a better option.

Indeed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-42...AOSwqBJXUsF v

Doesn't give the model number but fair chance it would do the job.

Collect in person from Saltburn so a nice run to the see for some Leeds
copper if they win!

James

Old January 8th 17, 08:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Graham." wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 04:21:38 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 20:34:25 UTC, wrote:
Hi,
West Yorkshire police urgently need a particular 42" Samsung rear
projection television, working or not for a house fire reconstruction.

As part of their investigation, detectives want to recreate what
happened but need a specific Samsung TV.

They are appealing for one of the following 42in rear projection TV sets
to be donated: HCM4216W, HCM4216H, HCM4215W, HCM422W or SP42W5HF.

Anyone who can help, or knows where one of these TVs can be found, is
asked to contact Det Con Emma Forber or Det Con Simon Thomas at Kirklees
CID on 101 quoting reference number 13160075908.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...olice-12417659

Don't projector TV's have a fairly powerful lamp in them?

If a cloth fell on the TV blocking ventilation it would overheat and
possibly catch fire.

Metal halide. I had to source one about 14 years ago. The most
expensive bulb I am ever likely to handle.

The early ones were individual RGB CRTs - they were great in length, about
2" dia and run on about 30 - 50kV EHT.

Old January 9th 17, 01:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote in message
[...]

It's certainly a DLP set as is the one they want. It's either an
SP42Q2HL1 or else something very close in that series.

With detective work like that, you could get a job with W Yorkshire
CID ;-)
Mind you, they did say they wanted a donation, yours has a 25
reserve!

Seems to me there is something odd about this story, The police don't
normally take the lead in building regulation issues.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 9th 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 09/01/2017 02:34, Graham. wrote:

Seems to me there is something odd about this story, The police don't
normally take the lead in building regulation issues.

The press reports explain it all: they are looking to carry out a
reconstuction of the fire to see if smoke alrams would have made a
material difference before deciding charges against the landlord.
--
Robin
Old January 9th 17, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

wrote in message
[...]

Cheers! Job I do encourages problem solving and a bit of lateral thinking
every now and then. Think I'm a bit on the chunky side for outwitting the
nefarious of W Yorks though!

Would hope that 25 could be found if no better option came forward, even if
they had to raid the tea kitty or pass the hat round CID!

James