Bloomin digital.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Bloomin digital.

Oh yeah? Be a neat trick to go back in time to allow for the fm radio.
What people on this thread are forgetting here is that the big issue is
not just the delay over the network, but inside individual devices and
their software. This varies from none in an fm radio of the normal type, ie
not an sdr, to almost a minute in many other systems depending on the
processing and distribution ie internet easily is the worst. Freeview is
not so bad and dab somewhere in between and not all are the same.

You only need to listen to medium wave in the evenings to hear they have
abandoned feeding transmitters properly. Many commercial outlets have either
echoes or some seconds of delay when the smae program matter is sent out.
Add to that of course that it seems each station insserts its own adverts so
when there is a a commercial break its like some kind of fairground sound.
Medium wave seems not to be being taken seriously in any way any more.

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news According to a friend of mine he is cursing dab and freeview radio as
neither of them is in sync with his fm radio, which I told him did not
surprise me as two computers on the same internet feed can seemingly be
over half a minute out of register.

He can easily download the following and keep them in sync.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid

Old January 3rd 17, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 09:25:23 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

No its not new, but its new insofar as its now becoming mainstream

and the
effects are beginning to dawn on people. Jusst listen to the tech

thingy on
bbc radio 5 in the middle of the night...

If you mean the 'Dr Karl' programmes it seems that 'Dr' Rhod has no
problems talking conversationally with Dr Karl when he's in Sydney,
Australia. I suspect there are superior modes of digital transmission
available to 'professionals'.

--
Max Demian
Old January 3rd 17, 11:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 09:04:16 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:
"Alan White" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 01:22:31 +0000, Davey

wrote:

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

They didn't. They indicated the exact time at Hurstmonceaux from

where
they originated. The introduction of the thirteen channel PCM
distribution for radio in the seventies resulted in a difference

between
AM and FM pips which varied 'up country'. A bright lad at Holme

Moss
transmitter came up with a method of reducing the difference which

was
installed in the old Control Room in Broadcasting House, London.

Don't
ask me for details as they've sunk into the mud which is now my
seventy-nine year old brain.

It probably involved waiting until they'd all come in, then

redistributing them.

"Hey! We're a pip short! Hull will have to make do with five."

--
Max Demian
Old January 3rd 17, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Max Demian wrote:

If you mean the 'Dr Karl' programmes it seems that 'Dr' Rhod has no
problems talking conversationally with Dr Karl

More likely the one with Fevsi Turkalp (sp?) where he spends ages trying
to help mainly clueless people fix broken gadgets.

Old January 3rd 17, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 09:17:32 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I guess the trend to ward the
smooth box with no sockets or controls is inevitable, but at what cost
to the ailing older and blind user?

Have you heard of the Amazon Echo Brian? It's completely voice
controlled. That just leaves the blind mute to cater for! g

--
TOJ.

---

Old January 3rd 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

The Other John wrote:

Have you heard of the Amazon Echo Brian? It's completely voice
controlled.

It's not small child proof though ... NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

Old January 3rd 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

The response normally is to use some form of wifi device to send it
to all the radios, but even then there can be some differences

I have a DAB radio upstairs (with a chromecast on the aux input) and an
old tablet downstairs which can redirect output over bluetooth or
chromecast to a separate speaker.

The delay between DAB upstairs and iPlayer downstairs is much longer
than the time it takes me to walk from one room to the other, meaning I
hear a repeat of about a minute, or miss a minute of the programme,
depending which direction I'm walking.

For some time I've streamed music to a group containing both
chromecasts, the sync between them is very good (and could be adjusted
if it wasn't) so I've now started to stream iPlayer radio to the DAB
radio over chromecast and use it just as a speaker too - added benefit
is that audio quality is less "gritty".

Also I can pick up either of two tablets or my phone and press mute or
pause and both chromecasts respond.

Old January 3rd 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do know that device and I am also aware that the app for mobiles that lets
you do anything sensible with it 'skills' is almost unusable. Instead one
needs a computer and to be able to use the web site to configure the skills,
which are a bit like mobile phone apps, but as I say, the config part on the
smart phone platforms is very badly designed.

The other issue on all of these assistants is privacy. If as it seems it is
in fact capable of understanding the spoken word, how many would pay them to
hear private conversations in peoples homes. What safeguards are in place?

Also of course these devices rely on an internet connection and run all the
apps remotely under your set up on their servers. No internet, not service.
I think from what I'm hearing people want to still be able to be off line,
out of comms and still play their music and all of that.

news

Old January 3rd 17, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't know about that,but the dot is outselling the speaker by 7 to one,
Surprise surprise, not since its less than half the price and can be used
with a stereo system.

As I say big brother is here or should that be heearing.

Old January 3rd 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

My clock in my pocket is starting to run faster and, now its either in a
time warp or the crystal is drifting.

I suppose I should get one of these radio code clocks but the one
imponderable about my dab set is that if you tap the handle it announces the
time, but is this the real time or the delayed dab time?

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in
message ...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

According to a friend of mine he is cursing dab and freeview radio as
neither of them is in sync with his fm radio, which I told him did not
surprise me as two computers on the same internet feed can seemingly be
over half a minute out of register.

The DAB station I was listening to transmitted the new year chimes 3
minutes late according to the MSF60 clock.

I trust you remembered to put all your clocks back by one second on 1st
Jan to account for the extra pip.