Bloomin digital.

Old February 6th 17, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Bloomin digital.

In article , R. Mark
Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 5 February 2017 22:39:02 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/02/2017 19:32, alan_m wrote:
On 30/01/2017 22:47, Max Demian wrote:

I got one of these a few years ago and it does very well:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2778103 It charges its own battery
up, so there shouldn't be any problems with replacing the battery
and losing the seal for a few years at least.

It will fail after around a year if you let the battery/capacitor
fully discharge.

I don't know what you mean by "fail". The battery is supposed to hold
six months' reserve. If the watch lasts for 20 years I shall be
satisfied, as I don't suppose the mechanics/lubrication would "last"
more than that: these things can't be economically cleaned and
lubricated these days.

-- Max Demian

I inherited a nice Rotary gold watch some years ago, it still works.
Inside the case were marks where it had been previously serviced. I
contacted Rotary about another service - "don't do them" was the reply.
I won't be buying an expensive mechanical watch from Rotary.

when you buy a car, you don't expect to go back to the manufacturer to get
it seservice. Same with a watch. Take it to a local watchmaker.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 6th 17, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 06/02/2017 10:02, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

If you want a repairable watch a Rolex might be a better bet. I think
it's £250 to service, which includes polishing the outside of the case.
They last for decades.

--
Max Demian
Old February 6th 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 15:51:30 +0000, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Who wants a gold cased watch polishing? As somebody said who owned one bought in
a street market in Amsterdam, the best Rolex is a good clone with a quartz
crystal movement. AFAIR he paid less than 10 for it.

Except that it's not a Rolex. It will have all the disadvantages of a Rolex, eg
being plug-ugly, but none of the advantages like, er, actually I can't think of any.

Old February 6th 17, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:08:34 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

If you want a repairable watch a Rolex might be a better bet. I think
it's 250 to service, which includes polishing the outside of the case.
They last for decades.

Who wants a gold cased watch polishing? As somebody said who owned one bought in
a street market in Amsterdam, the best Rolex is a good clone with a quartz
crystal movement. AFAIR he paid less than 10 for it.

Except that it's not a Rolex. It will have all the disadvantages of a Rolex, eg
being plug-ugly, but none of the advantages like, er, actually I can't think of any.

I can. It'll tell the time.

Old February 6th 17, 08:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 06/02/2017 15:51, Max Demian wrote:

If you want a repairable watch a Rolex might be a better bet. I think
it's £250 to service, which includes polishing the outside of the case.
They last for decades.

I can buy a lot of watches for £250, and I won't care if I drop them
over the side. It's funny, I've seen Rolexes (Roleces?) given away as
prizes for sailing, but I've not seen a sailor wearing one...

Andy
Old February 6th 17, 08:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 02:02:51 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

Few places officially service Omega watches. One per country?? I was told
that
if you have to ask the price of a service you can't afford it.

320-520. Or approx 10% of the watch price?

https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...ervice-prices/

James

Old February 6th 17, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

The comedian who did Mork said; "cocaine is God's way of saying you're
making too much money".

He must've overlooked wris****ches.

Old February 7th 17, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

If you want a repairable watch a Rolex might be a better bet. I think
it's 250 to service, which includes polishing the outside of the case.
They last for decades.

Who wants a gold cased watch polishing? As somebody said who owned one bought
in
a street market in Amsterdam, the best Rolex is a good clone with a quartz
crystal movement. AFAIR he paid less than 10 for it.

Except that it's not a Rolex. It will have all the disadvantages of a Rolex, eg
being plug-ugly, but none of the advantages like, er, actually I can't think of
any.

I can. It'll tell the time.

+1

Norman doesn't believe in watches being accurate.

They don't need to be very accurate, generally. It's just an affectation to think
it matters.

But there's no evidence anyway that a Rolex tells the time in a practical sense any
better than others.

They may tell history as their soppy adverts say, but frankly I'm not very
interested in being told it's 1066.

Old February 7th 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/02/2017 12:58, Martin wrote:

In most cases the local watchmaker is actually a person who sells watches. He
sends the watches to eastern Europe to be serviced.

The place I go to has a man in the back room who does actually service
and repair watches. He isn't quick and he isn't cheap, but he does do a
good job and he gives your repaired watch back with a guarantee slip.