Bloomin digital.

Old January 2nd 17, 09:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Bloomin digital.

"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
"Benderthe.evilrobot" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

According to a friend of mine he is cursing dab and freeview radio as neither
of them is in sync with his fm radio, which I told him did not surprise me as
two computers on the same internet feed can seemingly be over half a minute out
of register.

The DAB station I was listening to transmitted the new year chimes 3 minutes
late according to the MSF60 clock.

I trust you remembered to put all your clocks back by one second on 1st Jan to
account for the extra pip.

I take it you don't know what an MSF60 clock is.

Of course. It's one that is totally pointless.

Old January 2nd 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 22:25:22 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:
"brightside S9" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 22:03:13 -0000, "Norman Wells"

wrote:

I trust you remembered to put all your clocks back by one second

on 1st Jan to
account for the extra pip.

No, didn't bother, just took the clock upstairs for the night.

Is its timekeeping altitude dependent then?

Haven't you heard of gravitational time dilation?

--
Max Demian
Old January 3rd 17, 12:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 18:19:17 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

However it seems to me surprising that everyone is so astonished by
the DAB/Internet radio delay, they've always been that way, it's
hardly a new phenomenon.

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

--
Davey.
Old January 3rd 17, 07:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Davey
writes
On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 18:19:17 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

However it seems to me surprising that everyone is so astonished by
the DAB/Internet radio delay, they've always been that way, it's
hardly a new phenomenon.

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

The new pips sound just as good as the old pips - so who cares if they
are wrong ? As in the modern world of politics, truth and accuracy are a
now thing of the past.
--
Ian
Old January 3rd 17, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 01:22:31 +0000, Davey wrote:

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

They didn't. They indicated the exact time at Hurstmonceaux from where
they originated. The introduction of the thirteen channel PCM
distribution for radio in the seventies resulted in a difference between
AM and FM pips which varied 'up country'. A bright lad at Holme Moss
transmitter came up with a method of reducing the difference which was
installed in the old Control Room in Broadcasting House, London. Don't
ask me for details as they've sunk into the mud which is now my
seventy-nine year old brain.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old January 3rd 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Alan White" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 01:22:31 +0000, Davey wrote:

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

They didn't. They indicated the exact time at Hurstmonceaux from where
they originated. The introduction of the thirteen channel PCM
distribution for radio in the seventies resulted in a difference between
AM and FM pips which varied 'up country'. A bright lad at Holme Moss
transmitter came up with a method of reducing the difference which was
installed in the old Control Room in Broadcasting House, London. Don't
ask me for details as they've sunk into the mud which is now my
seventy-nine year old brain.

It probably involved waiting until they'd all come in, then redistributing them.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And another thing. Recent info from the great folk who design radios and
audio systems seems to suggest the completely touch screen controlled
devices and remotes are due out this year.
That means, in effect anyone who cannot see or has a motor control issue
will not be able to use any of this new kit. I guess the trend to ward the
smooth box with no sockets or controls is inevitable, but at what cost to
the ailing older and blind user?

"Phi" wrote in message
news
Perhaps all future DAB and Internet radios should be fitted with a delay
control on the set.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
According to a friend of mine he is cursing dab and freeview radio as
neither of them is in sync with his fm radio, which I told him did not
surprise me as two computers on the same internet feed can seemingly be
over half a minute out of register. It rather brought up the idea of when
the year started into perspective. It was all over the place, so it seems
to me that one of the major issues nowadays is that even if all the
radios on a building site are tuned to the same channel the effect is
almost like amixture of the Albert hall and some kind of alpine echo.

I suppose in time all the outputs will somehow be delayed too agree with
the most delayed one but its still somehow wrong to my mind.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ah the crystal set for use by people saving power?
Trouble is by that time there won't be any analogue transmissions left or
the interference will be so bad nobody will be able to hear the stations in
any case

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Better still, one day somebody might invent something they'll call
"analogue radio" which will have no audible delay at all, and they'll
market the system as something new.

Rod.

Old January 3rd 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No its not new, but its new insofar as its now becoming mainstream and the
effects are beginning to dawn on people. Jusst listen to the tech thingy on
bbc radio 5 in the middle of the night and you will find that the delay is
one of the main annoyances if you have several radios. The response normally
is to use some form of wifi device to send it to all the radios, but even
then there can be some differences as although the e number of connections
is small they are all handled sequentially and hence there are delays.

You would need to find some old fm transmitter device and use old fashioned
radios and the signal could be sent from one internet connection so there
would be no delay then.
I seem to recall the days on Nicam a digital mode for the sound on analogue
tv was far btter in this respect. How have we stepped back in time.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Roderick Stewart wrote:
Better still, one day somebody might invent something they'll call
"analogue radio" which will have no audible delay at all, and they'll
market the system as something new.

Absolutely! :-)

Old January 3rd 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 18:19:17 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

However it seems to me surprising that everyone is so astonished by
the DAB/Internet radio delay, they've always been that way, it's
hardly a new phenomenon.

It is new when you grew up in a world without them. The 'Pips' on
the wireless always indicated the exact time.

.... and when 'we' got one of the new fangled 'digital' sets it was
immediately obvious that the pips were late compared with the 'old
fashioned' radio in another room. :-)

--
Chris Green
·