Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/)
-   -   Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/35841-flying-scotsman-severn-valley-railway.html)

Bill Wright[_3_] January 1st 17 09:50 PM

Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway

Who amongst my brethren here could identify the transmission sites
visible on this excellent film?

Bill

Roderick Stewart[_3_] January 1st 17 10:38 PM

Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 21:50:11 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Who amongst my brethren here could identify the transmission sites
visible on this excellent film?

None at all, but then while watching it I was five years old again,
holding my Dad's hand on a station platform, feeling the heat from one
of these giant beasts. I could almost smell the oily steam.

Rod.

Woody[_5_] January 1st 17 10:58 PM

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Who amongst my brethren here could identify the transmission sites
visible on this excellent film?

I was looking hard but didn't spot any - but there again our TV is
only 32" and SD! I think it is on again this week (it was on earlier
tonight) so I'll record it in HD and have a long slow look.

I would guess if you saw a hilltop to the west it would probably be
The Wrekin which is visible for many miles.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Woody[_5_] January 4th 17 08:49 PM

Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Who amongst my brethren here could identify the transmission sites
visible on this excellent film?

Because its you Bill I watched the whole thing again and only saw two.

The first was at about 48 minutes (on iPlayer HD) and was a tower to
the right (i.e. west) just south of Bewdley which, after some digging
I have establised is Kidderminster TV relay.

The second was a very short tower covered in dishes alongside
Kidderminster station. As far as I can find this is a small cell tower
at the SE corner of the Kidderminster Harriers football ground.

Did you see any others?

Bill Wright[_3_] January 4th 17 11:17 PM

On 04/01/2017 20:49, Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Who amongst my brethren here could identify the transmission sites
visible on this excellent film?

Because its you Bill I watched the whole thing again and only saw two.

The first was at about 48 minutes (on iPlayer HD) and was a tower to
the right (i.e. west) just south of Bewdley which, after some digging
I have establised is Kidderminster TV relay.

The second was a very short tower covered in dishes alongside
Kidderminster station. As far as I can find this is a small cell tower
at the SE corner of the Kidderminster Harriers football ground.

Did you see any others?

I thought I could make out a medium to big one on a distant hill.

Bill

Mark Carver[_2_] January 5th 17 07:31 AM

On 04/01/2017 23:17, Bill Wright wrote:

I thought I could make out a medium to big one on a distant hill.

I didn't see the programme, but maybe the Droitwich masts are visible
from the Bewdley area ?

You can spot them from a A449 just south of Bewdley I seem to recall ?

--
Mark

Paul D Smith[_2_] January 5th 17 08:48 AM

"Mark Carver" wrote in message ...

On 04/01/2017 23:17, Bill Wright wrote:

I thought I could make out a medium to big one on a distant hill.

I didn't see the programme, but maybe the Droitwich masts are visible
from the Bewdley area ?

You can spot them from a A449 just south of Bewdley I seem to recall ?
++++++++

OT, but I've always been far more amused by the fact that there cannot be
many places in the UK where you can have Sunday lunch on a steam train
whilst watching the elephants and rhinos :-).

Paul DS.

Roger Mills[_2_] January 5th 17 12:20 PM

On 05/01/2017 07:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 04/01/2017 23:17, Bill Wright wrote:

I thought I could make out a medium to big one on a distant hill.

I didn't see the programme, but maybe the Droitwich masts are visible
from the Bewdley area ?

You can spot them from a A449 just south of Bewdley I seem to recall ?

My thoughts, too. They're about 10 miles south-east of Kidderminster so
you may possibly be able to see then on the RHS as you approach
Kidderminster - but I didn't see the program either.
--
Cheers,
Roger

alan_m January 10th 17 05:39 PM

On 05/01/2017 08:48, Paul D Smith wrote:

OT, but I've always been far more amused by the fact that there cannot
be many places in the UK where you can have Sunday lunch on a steam
train whilst watching the elephants and rhinos :-).

But only for 30 seconds on the journey.

If you visit the park with the elephants and rhinos I'd recommend that
you don't drive your own car around but pay an extra (5?) and take the
safari bus where the driver will drive off road to the animals. You can
also play hungry hippos with real hippos.
BTW they don't have monkeys etc. that may wreck the car.
The park is geared up to extract the maximum amount of money from
parents with kids :)

David Kennedy[_2_] January 11th 17 10:16 AM

On 10/01/2017 17:39, alan_m wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:48, Paul D Smith wrote:

OT, but I've always been far more amused by the fact that there cannot
be many places in the UK where you can have Sunday lunch on a steam
train whilst watching the elephants and rhinos :-).

But only for 30 seconds on the journey.

If you visit the park with the elephants and rhinos I'd recommend that you
don't drive your own car around but pay an extra (5?) and take the safari bus
where the driver will drive off road to the animals. You can also play hungry
hippos with real hippos.
BTW they don't have monkeys etc. that may wreck the car.
The park is geared up to extract the maximum amount of money from parents with
kids :)

Isn't that pretty standard these days?

--
David Kennedy