Ideas for new channel.

Old January 2nd 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Ideas for new channel.

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 12:00:55 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 22:31:47 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 19:18:31 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

I find it interesting, and a little disturbing, that since Mr
Saville's fall from grace, there seems to have been no mention of
him in any other context, despite the fact that he played quite a
significant part in the popular culture of the 20th century, a
time period often visited by dramas, and documentaries about
popular culture. It's almost like an attempt to make him into an
"unperson" as if he'd never existed. Somehow this betrayal of
history seems as bad in the long term as anything done by the man
himself.

There was an episode of a BBC sitcom series being repeated on one of
the 'Gold' channels recently,(I can't remember which one, might have
been 'To The Manor Born' ?) that was quietly removed from
transmission. It's popularly thought that it was because Jimmy
Saville's face appeared in a poster briefly in shot on a railway
platform scene.

It could have been edited or airbrused out quite easily, but
presumably as there is exactly zero budget for such things to be
done on that sort of channel, instead the whole episode was pulled ?

Airbrushing is just as bad as pulling an entire episode, if not
worse. They're both effectively the same thing - the editing of
history - but airbrushing is not only the editing of history but also
the concealment of the fact that it has been done.

I never was particularly an admirer of Mr Saville even in his heyday,
and we all have a million more reasons to disapprove of him now, but
the fact that our national broadcasters are prepared to adopt an
Orwellian style (or Soviet style, or North Korean style) obliteration
of bits of history that are embarrassing to them is extremely
worrying. Let's not forget that it was a conscious blindness to
embarrassing truths by many parties who could have done something
that allowed the monster to carry on as long as he did.

Almost up to the standards of the safeguarding verger of York Minster.

Not verger - but Dean - a high ranking church office.

Of course. She gives the impression that she is the most important person
in York Minster.

that's the rôle of the Dean

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 2nd 17, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Indy Jess John
writes
On 02/01/2017 11:58, Martin wrote:

Almost up to the standards of the safeguarding verger of York
Minster. Not only
has she sacked all 30 members of the Minster bell ringers, because of
unproven
allegations against the former leader of the ringers, but the Minster
bookshop
has been purged so that the books by the former leader are no longer
on sale,
although he is a world expert on bell ringing and was given an MBE in
recognition of his bell ringing expertise.

And for the first time, the Minster bells did not ring on Christmas day.

Other bell ringers from other towns were invited to sound the peal, but
they all declined.

I was under the impression that a some well-vetted blackleg ringers had
(presumably for the 'greater good') rung the bells at Christmas.

some time before Christmas, as I read the story. They were bell ringing at
their own Churches on Christmas day..

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 2nd 17, 03:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:30:07 -0000, "Dave W"
wrote:

I never was particularly an admirer of Mr Saville even in his heyday,
and we all have a million more reasons to disapprove of him now, but
the fact that our national broadcasters are prepared to adopt an
Orwellian style (or Soviet style, or North Korean style) obliteration
of bits of history that are embarrassing to them is extremely
worrying. Let's not forget that it was a conscious blindness to
embarrassing truths by many parties who could have done something that
allowed the monster to carry on as long as he did.

Rod.

Neither was I an admirer, but he was not entirely bad. He didn't kill
anyone, and raised a lot for charity.
I wish he hadn't been exposed after his death, so only the people he abused
would have bad memories.

gasp!

Don't you believe in justice, or the deterrent effect of the exposure
of wrongdoing?

Old January 2nd 17, 03:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"charles" wrote in message
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

A team rang for the Nine Lessons and Carols service at 19h on the
22nd, but there were using only six of the fourteen bells. AFAIK
there was no other ringing at the Minster over Christmas and New Year
but I may be wrong.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 2nd 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:55:58 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

There was an episode of a BBC sitcom series being repeated on one
of the 'Gold' channels recently,(I can't remember which one, might have
been 'To The Manor Born' ?) that was quietly removed from transmission.
It's popularly thought that it was because Jimmy Saville's face appeared
in a poster briefly in shot on a railway platform scene.

It could have been edited or airbrused out quite easily, but presumably
as there is exactly zero budget for such things to be done on that sort of
channel, instead the whole episode was pulled ?

It's an urban myth

that episode of TTMB is freely shown (it's the one where they campaign to
keep the local station open)

Though I can't remember whether there's an poster of Saville or not

If they ever broadcast the relevant episode and it doesn't show any
such poster, how would you know if there had ever been one?

Photographic evidence, especially video evidence, used to be more
reliable than verbal testimony from a trusted person, but now it's the
other way round. Video material is so routinely faked that unless
somebody can absolutely vouch for the provenance of a recording, it's
effectively meaningless.

Old January 2nd 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

It's popularly thought that it was because Jimmy Saville's face appeared
in a poster briefly in shot on a railway platform scene.

A recent "Early Peter Kay" documentary, shown on Channel 5, was editted
from the point that early days at the BBC got mentioned. He wandered
into the "cigar gesture" (via previous smoking-gesture jokes), which
triggered mention of he-who-shall-not-be-named, which then led to
getting out a "Jim Fixed It For Me" novelty soap-on-a-ribbon.

That whole section was cut around, and the medallion, which he put on,
was blurred/pixellated out for the rest of the piece.

The full version of the programme is on YouTube somewhere. It was
painfully obvious (from the blurred "thing" around his neck) and the
continuity error of it "just appearing" that a ham-fisted attempt
to remove something had occurred.

It's not like he did any Jimmy Savile jokes, or said anything that
might be deemed offensive to victims ... so it seems that the
automatic "He never happened" response kicked in there.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old January 2nd 17, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't

but I do know that it's an urban myth that it is banned because of the
poster - because it isn't banned.

Whether there is a poster or not is thus irrelevant

tim

Old January 2nd 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 02/01/2017 11:55, tim... wrote:

It's an urban myth

that episode of TTMB is freely shown (it's the one where they campaign
to keep the local station open)

Though I can't remember whether there's an poster of Saville or not

This should jog your memory then:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/BlackRiverFalls/oh****saville_zpsrvyueaut.jpg

Series 2 Ep 3

There are a few You Tube clips, all of which seem to have cropping
applied to make the original fit into a 16:9 raster, but you can see to
top of Saville's head he-

https://youtu.be/gJ9f71rUDIA?list=PL...nTjvuo b&t=40

--
Mark
Old January 2nd 17, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 01/01/2017 22:31, Roderick Stewart wrote:

It could have been edited or airbrused out quite easily, but presumably
as there is exactly zero budget for such things to be done on that sort
of channel, instead the whole episode was pulled ?

Airbrushing is just as bad as pulling an entire episode, if not worse.
They're both effectively the same thing - the editing of history - but
airbrushing is not only the editing of history but also the
concealment of the fact that it has been done.

FWIW I totally agree

--
Mark
Old January 2nd 17, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
PI TV
Politically incorrect T V showing old Benny hill shows, Love thy Neighbour
and old Jim Davidson routines, perhaps Cannon and Ball as well.
New stuff could be interviews with employers about 'handicapped
employees after they had been gotten drunk.
What really goes on in decision making ie box ticking, and what else,
well that would do for a start, could be very entertaining, we could put
on unedited versions of Showboat and Song of the south, and from what I
know of my friends and many of my ethnic minority contacts, nobody will be
offended as we all know what goes on already.. :-)

There isn't enough material for the channels they've got - and that's made
worse by not broadcasting the stuff you're on about because some people find
it offensive.