Ideas for new channel.

Old January 1st 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Ideas for new channel.

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 19:18:31 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

I find it interesting, and a little disturbing, that since Mr
Saville's fall from grace, there seems to have been no mention of him
in any other context, despite the fact that he played quite a
significant part in the popular culture of the 20th century, a time
period often visited by dramas, and documentaries about popular
culture. It's almost like an attempt to make him into an "unperson" as
if he'd never existed. Somehow this betrayal of history seems as bad
in the long term as anything done by the man himself.

There was an episode of a BBC sitcom series being repeated on one
of the 'Gold' channels recently,(I can't remember which one, might have
been 'To The Manor Born' ?) that was quietly removed from transmission.
It's popularly thought that it was because Jimmy Saville's face appeared
in a poster briefly in shot on a railway platform scene.

It could have been edited or airbrused out quite easily, but presumably
as there is exactly zero budget for such things to be done on that sort
of channel, instead the whole episode was pulled ?

Airbrushing is just as bad as pulling an entire episode, if not worse.
They're both effectively the same thing - the editing of history - but
airbrushing is not only the editing of history but also the
concealment of the fact that it has been done.

I never was particularly an admirer of Mr Saville even in his heyday,
and we all have a million more reasons to disapprove of him now, but
the fact that our national broadcasters are prepared to adopt an
Orwellian style (or Soviet style, or North Korean style) obliteration
of bits of history that are embarrassing to them is extremely
worrying. Let's not forget that it was a conscious blindness to
embarrassing truths by many parties who could have done something that
allowed the monster to carry on as long as he did.

Old January 1st 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:05:03 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

I find it interesting, and a little disturbing, that since Mr
Saville's fall from grace, there seems to have been no mention of

him
in any other context, despite the fact that he played quite a
significant part in the popular culture of the 20th century, a time
period often visited by dramas, and documentaries about popular
culture. It's almost like an attempt to make him into an "unperson"

as
if he'd never existed. Somehow this betrayal of history seems as bad
in the long term as anything done by the man himself.

"Clunk, click, every trip."

Can we give up wearing seatbelts now?"

--
Max Demian
Old January 2nd 17, 12:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

I totally agree. Risking the wroth of Godwin here, but if Hitler
doesn't require an airbrush, why on earth does Saville or Rolf
Harris.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 2nd 17, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Maybe it is but at the time at first in the uk it was not a problem, until
the us decided to edit anything remotely contravercial.
Remember back in the 60s the Nat King Cole TV show was cancelled due to
threats from the deep south and the advertisers got cold feet. It only
lasted one season.

I really do not get this ratial stuff myself.
I was 'cured' of that when I worked for rediffusion, who bussed in
workers from all over London most of whome were black or asian. I got on
with all of them, and never did understand why people should not. Many of
the group were more cockney sounding than I was, be old cocker.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 01/01/2017 14:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
The original musical had more, shall we say fratanisation between races
seem to recall from my schooling.

Isn't that de rigueur these days?

--
Max Demian

Old January 2nd 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

wrote:

[...]

Rod.

Neither was I an admirer, but he was not entirely bad. He didn't kill
anyone, and raised a lot for charity.
I wish he hadn't been exposed after his death, so only the people he abused
would have bad memories.
--
Dave W

Old January 2nd 17, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 01/01/2017 19:05, Roderick Stewart wrote:

[...]

It's an urban myth

that episode of TTMB is freely shown (it's the one where they campaign to
keep the local station open)

Though I can't remember whether there's an poster of Saville or not

tim

Old January 2nd 17, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

but his face on adverts of the time were certainly successful campaigns

you will have to argue amongst yourselves whether it was the message or the
messenger that made them so

tim

Old January 2nd 17, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Almost up to the standards of the safeguarding verger of York Minster.

Not verger - but Dean - a high ranking church office.

Not only has she sacked all 30 members of the Minster bell ringers,
because of unproven allegations against the former leader of the ringers,
but the Minster bookshop has been purged so that the books by the former
leader are no longer on sale, although he is a world expert on bell
ringing and was given an MBE in recognition of his bell ringing expertise.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 2nd 17, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/01/2017 11:58, Martin wrote:

Almost up to the standards of the safeguarding verger of York Minster. Not only
has she sacked all 30 members of the Minster bell ringers, because of unproven
allegations against the former leader of the ringers, but the Minster bookshop
has been purged so that the books by the former leader are no longer on sale,
although he is a world expert on bell ringing and was given an MBE in
recognition of his bell ringing expertise.

And for the first time, the Minster bells did not ring on Christmas day.

Other bell ringers from other towns were invited to sound the peal, but
they all declined.

Old January 2nd 17, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Indy Jess John
writes
On 02/01/2017 11:58, Martin wrote:

Almost up to the standards of the safeguarding verger of York
Minster. Not only
has she sacked all 30 members of the Minster bell ringers, because of
unproven
allegations against the former leader of the ringers, but the Minster
bookshop
has been purged so that the books by the former leader are no longer
on sale,
although he is a world expert on bell ringing and was given an MBE in
recognition of his bell ringing expertise.

And for the first time, the Minster bells did not ring on Christmas day.

Other bell ringers from other towns were invited to sound the peal, but
they all declined.

I was under the impression that a some well-vetted blackleg ringers had
(presumably for the 'greater good') rung the bells at Christmas.

--
Ian