BBC lost their atlas?

Old December 29th 16, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default BBC lost their atlas?

On the BBC web site the other day was an item about 16 miles in 60
seconds - the Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway in the
West of England. Last time I looked the SVR was in the West
Midlands.

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

Meeja Studies strikes again methinks?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 29th 16, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Woody wrote:

On the BBC web site the other day was an item about 16 miles in 60
seconds - the Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway in the
West of England. Last time I looked the SVR was in the West
Midlands.

It sounds factually correct to me. The West Midlands are in the west of
England or they were when I drove through.

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

She probably confused the M40 with the M4.

Meeja Studies strikes again methinks?

I can get wound up about some things. I have given up on 'haitch' though!

Old December 29th 16, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 29/12/2016 14:45, Pinnerite wrote:
Woody wrote:

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

She probably confused the M40 with the M4.

No, she didn't, I heard it, she was talking about the _A_40,
and said the A40, which was exactly where the carnage was.
And the A40 does indeed connect London with South Wales.

I don't know where Woody gets the idea it was the M40 ?

--
Mark
Old December 29th 16, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Woody wrote:

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

She probably confused the M40 with the M4.

No, she didn't, I heard it, she was talking about the _A_40,
and said the A40, which was exactly where the carnage was.
And the A40 does indeed connect London with South Wales.

and that's what it says on the front page of today's Times. Yes, the A40
goes all the way to Fishguard (via the Brecon Beacons)

I don't know where Woody gets the idea it was the M40 ?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 29th 16, 03:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 29 December 2016 14:23:18 UTC, Woody wrote:
On the BBC web site the other day was an item about 16 miles in 60
seconds - the Flying Scotsman on the Severn Valley Railway in the
West of England. Last time I looked the SVR was in the West
Midlands.

SVR is in the "West Midlands Region" the other regions in "the west of England" at the South West and the North West. Most people would agree that Worcestershire and Shropshire (where SVR is) are in the west of England. Is there an English country further west?

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

A40 actually. Commences with Westway in London and continues to Fishguard in west Wales.

Meeja Studies strikes again methinks?

inaccurate nit picking pedant mis hits again I would say.

--
Woody

Old December 29th 16, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Woody wrote:

Last night a woman reporting on foot from the carnage on the M40
stated it was the "motorway from London to Wales." Eh? Or has
Wales
been moved and no-one told us?

She probably confused the M40 with the M4.

No, she didn't, I heard it, she was talking about the _A_40,
and said the A40, which was exactly where the carnage was.
And the A40 does indeed connect London with South Wales.

I don't know where Woody gets the idea it was the M40 ?

--

I stand corrected. I heard it as the M40 although I did wonder about
the Oxfordshire bit.

As for where the SVR is, the UK region of West Midlands includes
Shropshire, Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, and
Warwickshire plus some unitary authorities, so I stand by my assertion
that the SVR is in the West Midlands, not the West of England.

Mind you the next county south of there - Gloucestershire - is classed
regionally as South West England.......

I give up.