BBC Watchdog Scaremongering

Old January 1st 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default BBC Watchdog Scaremongering

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Sunday, 1 January 2017 12:13:20 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 02:33:25 -0800, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Thursday, 29 December 2016 19:50:04 UTC, tim... wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 29 December 2016 12:56:57 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 29/12/2016 12:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Number of programs watched this season: 5 Number of shoes needed
to be retrieved from behind TV: 5

Looks like I am doomed to ignorance, having never watched it! Go
on
give us a clue?

Not watched it for years, but highlights dodgy builders, car
dealers
and firms with crap CS who make faulty tumble driers. Come up with
amazing facts like if you buy a bottle of Chanel No.5 for two quid
off a sleazy guy in a street stall, it might not be the real
thing...

I thought that was "Rip-Off Britain"

tim

That's legit' firms charging far higher prices in the UK - e.g.
Yamaha.

And, Sony (their goods are cheaper in the US of A than here in the UK
because of the larger consumer base, not because we in the UK are
richer
and can afford the "Rip off Britain" pricing).

all electronic goods are more expensive in Europe that the USA

because of:

1) sales taxes included in the price

Taking that into account - if you personally import, certainly by mail,
you will pay VAT and duty if apllicable.

2) much higher costs of operating retail properties

Does not affect web sales.

Major names don't discount sales though their website. It would **** off
their retail channel.

3) a very much higher standard of consumer rights

Oh you mean they can't sell you a dud one and not give a refund!

European rights last significantly longer than DOA.

tim

Old January 1st 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 1 January 2017 17:58:15 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

So do many warranties - in the last few years we have replaced quite a lot of goods that were a generation old and the warranties we -

Fridge Freezer - 2 years, compressor 10 years
dishwasher - 2 years
computer monitor - 3 years
cooker - 5 years
TV - 6 years (from shop)

The only item I have returned in the last ten years was a Philips TV in 2009, that would not work to spec'. Philips did play silly beggars claiming the design fault was correct operation, but Richer Sounds invited me to return it for a full refund (good move I bought a load more gear) and then stopped selling Philips TV's for a couple of years.
Old January 1st 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 01/01/17 12:12, tim... wrote:

And, Sony (their goods are cheaper in the US of A than here in the UK
because of the larger consumer base, not because we in the UK are richer
and can afford the "Rip off Britain" pricing).

all electronic goods are more expensive in Europe that the USA

because of:

1) sales taxes included in the price
2) much higher costs of operating retail properties
3) a very much higher standard of consumer rights

Also some functions are reduced to get the item into an advantageous tax
category.

For example in the EU, video cameras distributed with firewire ports
blocked from recording-input use, and digital photo cameras prevented
from recording video clips longer than 29 mins 59 seconds. 15% tax duty
otherwise.

Any reason why this should still be enforced disregarding Brexit?

--
Adrian C
Old January 18th 17, 11:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 10:36:18 +0000, Norman Wells wrote:

[...]

You don't have to buy any of their goods. If you do at the price
they're offered then you've chosen to do so, and can't have any
complaint.

That part is true enough.

There is no rip-off.

Until you realise you've paid a damn sight more than other consumers who
just happen to live in other jurisdictions (or have access to so called
"Grey Imports") which apply more favourable pricing policies on such
imported goods.

I've no personal complaints against Sony's pricing strategy since I made
a point of blacklisting their products over a decade ago on the basis
that they're incapable of providing intuitive user interfaces rather than
due to premium pricing (and also due to their total lack of repentance
when the existence of their rootkit based drm malware came to light back
in 2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal)

After reading that wikipedia article, I can't help but to wonder at the
double standards being applied in the case of Microsoft's even more
egregious "Spyware Rootkiting" of windows 10.

If commensurate action were ever to be taken against MSFT we could see
the software giant bankrupted out of existence for their sins and all the
pain and suffering their existing windows 7 and windows 8 users were put
through during the latter period of the "Free Upgrade to windows 10"
offer (let alone the problems suffered by users of windows 10 itself at
the hands of an uncontrollable automatic updates system).

My best guess as to why MSFT seem to be leading 'a charmed life' in this
regard is that they've been co-opted/coerced into providing backdoors to
serve the needs of the NSA and its major partner, GCHQ.

Unfortunately, such nation state security measures are now a necessary
fact of life in this modern connected world of ours. Without doubt, the
major players (Google, Apple, Yahoo, Cloud services companies and ISPs)
are all equally embroiled in NSA/GCHQ's covert global surveillance
activities.

TBH, it's reached such a pitch, I believe the NSA and GCHQ could
monetize their email surveillance activity as a government sponsored
"email backup" service available to 'all citizens' for a nominal fee (and
this would be just for starters! :-).

--
Johnny B Good