BBC Watchdog Scaremongering

Old December 30th 16, 10:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default BBC Watchdog Scaremongering

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 29 December 2016 19:50:04 UTC, tim... wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 29 December 2016 12:56:57 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 29/12/2016 12:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Number of programs watched this season: 5
Number of shoes needed to be retrieved from behind TV: 5

Looks like I am doomed to ignorance, having never watched it! Go on
give
us a clue?

Not watched it for years, but highlights dodgy builders, car dealers
and
firms with crap CS who make faulty tumble driers. Come up with amazing
facts like if you buy a bottle of Chanel No.5 for two quid off a sleazy
guy in a street stall, it might not be the real thing...

I thought that was "Rip-Off Britain"

tim

That's legit' firms charging far higher prices in the UK - e.g. Yamaha.

I take it you've not see the TV program (that was why the quotes were
there).

It's full of "idiot consumer lost money because they didn't understand a
perfectly reasonable rule" stories.

tim

Old January 1st 17, 03:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 02:33:25 -0800, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Thursday, 29 December 2016 19:50:04 UTC, tim... wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 29 December 2016 12:56:57 UTC, David Wade wrote:
On 29/12/2016 12:15, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Number of programs watched this season: 5 Number of shoes needed
to be retrieved from behind TV: 5

Looks like I am doomed to ignorance, having never watched it! Go on
give us a clue?

Not watched it for years, but highlights dodgy builders, car dealers
and firms with crap CS who make faulty tumble driers. Come up with
amazing facts like if you buy a bottle of Chanel No.5 for two quid
off a sleazy guy in a street stall, it might not be the real thing...

I thought that was "Rip-Off Britain"

tim

That's legit' firms charging far higher prices in the UK - e.g. Yamaha.

And, Sony (their goods are cheaper in the US of A than here in the UK
because of the larger consumer base, not because we in the UK are richer
and can afford the "Rip off Britain" pricing).

--
Johnny B Good
Old January 1st 17, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 04:41:48 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

[...]

but Sony in Europe have the whole of the EU. Isn't that a big enough
consumer
base?
--

Martin, living in Dutchland you should know better than that. There is
a loyalty to products perceived as home made (as distinct from

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 1st 17, 09:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
[...]

You don't have to buy any of their goods. If you do at the price they're offered
then you've chosen to do so, and can't have any complaint.

There is no rip-off.

Old January 1st 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 1 January 2017 04:41:49 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

Sony can be very badly behaved as in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_B...ootkit_scandal

however their price differential between the USA and UK is much less plus: -
1. Sony provides an international warranty on its goods.
2. Sony electricals have dual voltage input (120 / 230V) - Yamaha don't.

so personal imports of Sony equipment are no problem, but less viable.

--
Johnny B Good

Old January 1st 17, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

[...]

all electronic goods are more expensive in Europe that the USA

because of:

1) sales taxes included in the price
2) much higher costs of operating retail properties
3) a very much higher standard of consumer rights

tim

Old January 1st 17, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 1 January 2017 12:13:20 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

Taking that into account - if you personally import, certainly by mail, you will pay VAT and duty if apllicable.

2) much higher costs of operating retail properties

Does not affect web sales.

3) a very much higher standard of consumer rights

Oh you mean they can't sell you a dud one and not give a refund!

As it happens many warranties are better than statutory rights - e.g. Sony's or any TV bought from Richer Sounds.

tim

Old January 1st 17, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 01/01/2017 10:28, Woody wrote:

Martin, living in Dutchland you should know better than that. There is
a loyalty to products perceived as home made (as distinct from
obviously of far eastern origin) in many countries in Europe that I
have always found a bit baffling. In Germany you see brand names that
have not been around in the UK for decades but that still sell well
there. Yes you do see the common Japanese names like Sony etc etc etc
but in nothing like the propensity that we do here.

I query your use of 'propensity'

Old January 1st 17, 02:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Sunday, 1 January 2017 12:13:20 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Johnny B Good" wrote in
message

wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the con: you pay import duty and then you pay VAT on
top of that sum including the duty, i.e. tax on tax.

There again we do that all the time on fuel I suppose......

Old January 1st 17, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

And on ALL the carriage, even though much of it was in another state.

There again we do that all the time on fuel I suppose......

And beer, wine, spirits.

Successfully avoided it on tobacco :-)