Bizarre recording clash last night

Old December 28th 16, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Bizarre recording clash last night

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and BBC2 HD
(1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on the same
channel 'overlap'?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 28th 16, 09:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 28/12/2016 09:55, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:59:19 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and BBC2 HD
(1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on the same
channel 'overlap'?

Padding?

+1

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 28th 16, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

wrote:

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and BBC2 HD
(1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on the same
channel 'overlap'?

Padding?

+1

I've not put in any padding - the Hummy's set to Exact.
It just seems weird that the Beeb managed to that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 29th 16, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and BBC2
HD
(1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on the
same
channel 'overlap'?

Padding?

+1

I've not put in any padding - the Hummy's set to Exact.

Ah that magic word!

It's cos the people at Hummy are idiots

They are incapable of programming their boxes to take account of the channel
that any following programs are on

If a current program overruns they "always" think that there is a conflict
with starting a following program even if it is on the same channel.

tim

Old December 29th 16, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

wrote:

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and BBC2
HD
(1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on the
same
channel 'overlap'?

Padding?

+1

I've not put in any padding - the Hummy's set to Exact.

Ah that magic word!

It's cos the people at Hummy are idiots

They are incapable of programming their boxes to take account of the channel
that any following programs are on

If a current program overruns they "always" think that there is a conflict
with starting a following program even if it is on the same channel.

tim

Although I'm not keen on Humax, it does seem that it's the least bad of the
bunch.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 29th 16, 07:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

PeterC wrote:

Although I'm not keen on Humax, it does seem that it's the least
bad of the bunch.

I agree with you there. I've tried many others, and they were all
worse.

--
Steve Thackery, Nottingham, UK
Old December 29th 16, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

wrote:

Freesat on BBC4 HD, recordings on only BBC4 HD (2 consecutive) and
BBC2 HD (1, starting at the same time as the 2nd. recording on
BBC4).
Warning of clash came up!
Now, only 2 channels and how the hell can consecutive programmes on
the same channel 'overlap'?

Padding?

+1

I've not put in any padding - the Hummy's set to Exact.

Ah that magic word!

It's cos the people at Hummy are idiots

They are incapable of programming their boxes to take account of the
channel that any following programs are on

If a current program overruns they "always" think that there is a
conflict with starting a following program even if it is on the same
channel.

That's what I like about using Kaffeine on my Linux Mint desktop PC
(with a dual tuner KWorld DVB-T adapter) to record *any* of the Beeb's
Freeview SD broadcasts (I haven't yet gotten round to upgrading to a DVB-
T2 adapter just yet), I simply scan through the epg and select whatever I
fancy without the slightest regard for any "Clashes", whether channel and/
or back to back padding induced.

For me, there's no such thing as a scheduling conflict unless I decide
to record a couple of commercial broadcasts on separate multiplexes as
well, which I never do (I rarely record commercial broadcasts anyway
which, when I do, have always been things like Red Dwarf episodes on
'Dave' and *never ever* any other commercial broadcast channels).

Just out of curiosity a couple of months or so back, I scheduled a total
of twelve or more programmes, which included a few back to back
programmes with overlapping paddings (5 minutes in with 10 minutes out),
between the Beeb's SD mux and one of the commercial muxes to see what
limitation, if any, there was in this system.

At one point in this test I had a total of 12 programmes streaming to
disk with absolutely no issues whatsoever, not even when using VLC to
play back each partially recorded programme file in turn to monitor their
quality whilst I was transcoding previous mpg recordings to h.264 mkv
format using Handbrake (with no perceivable loss of playback quality) to
retrieve disk space.

I guess my nominating a folder on the SSD as the destination for
Kaffeine's recordings eases the system load somewhat but I suspect using
either one of the two HDDs (a 1TB and a 2TB disk setup) instead would
likely have proved ok since an 11 year old Acer laptop with a single core
1.6GHz clocked Celeron CPU and a 250GB IDE (no NCQ feature to assist in
this endeavour) laptop HDD seems to handle 6 programme file streams
without any bother.

The matter of trying to capture more than 3 channels from the SD Mux via
the USB2 DVB-T adapter otoh, is another problem altogether. That, I'm
guessing, is simply down to the lack of CPU grunt necessary to service
the cpu intensive USB driver demands *as well as* the extra processing to
separately handle each TV channel stream (I hit a problem when trying to
record four TV channels *without* overlapping due to padding conflicts -
the limit is obviously not disk i/o related).

I'm almost tempted to set up a more extreme test (a series of back to
back programmes across 10 or more TV channels so as to have 20 or more
programme files streaming to the SSD simultaneously) but I think I'll
leave that sort of extreme test until after I've upgraded to a DVB-T2
dual tuner. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 29th 16, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On 29 Dec 2016 20:04:44 GMT, Steve Thackery wrote:

PeterC wrote:

Although I'm not keen on Humax, it does seem that it's the least
bad of the bunch.

I agree with you there. I've tried many others, and they were all
worse.

The Mutant was mentioned in here a little while back - is it any good?
http:[email protected]
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away