breaking news, less than 50 percent watch tv

Old December 27th 16, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default breaking news, less than 50 percent watch tv

Well that is live tv, they alall either record it or just wait for the boxed
set, which of course has no box and is basically streamed so you never
actually own anything at all.

TV is mostly passive and really probably now has had its day.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old December 27th 16, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2016 17:37, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well that is live tv, they alall either record it or just wait for the boxed
set, which of course has no box and is basically streamed so you never
actually own anything at all.

TV is mostly passive and really probably now has had its day.

Depends what you mean. Half the country sitting down and watching
the same programme at exactly the same time is gone.

Watching programmes and films on a screen in the living room, kitchen,
bedroom, or (new this decade) palm of your hand, is as popular as it's
ever been, what's changed is ease of record/playback, and an expansion
in the forms of delivery.

--
Mark
Old December 27th 16, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well you cannot say to people, hey did you seexx last night which usually
comes back as don't tell me its on the list to be watched.
Back in the 70s and80s we had at one point three vcrs connected to the
tellies, but it soon transpired that we stall had not watched the stuff at
easter and so that kind of dawned on my then that there was little point in
it.
The rubbish we get now watered
down as it is due to the sheer number of channels......humph...

Old December 27th 16, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2016 18:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well you cannot say to people, hey did you seexx last night which usually
comes back as don't tell me its on the list to be watched.

No, but the upside of that is, is if you've missed something someone
else enjoyed and said was good, you can still [1] watch the programme
thanks to iplayer etc.

[1] Terms, conditions, and restrictions apply.

--
Mark
Old December 28th 16, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes i was appalled last night after the second silly Christmas Lecture that
the BBC plugged the fact that all the previous lectures could be purchased
from the BBC online shop.
Oh well there you go. We might as well let them put adverts on now.

I watched some David Attenborough on Pick. It was obviously made for a
commercial station as the audio description was also saying end of part 1
and part 2 etc. Terrase Birch did it so has to be a few years old now but
still very good even without being able to see it.

Old December 28th 16, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:59:57 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Well that is live tv, they alall either record it or just wait for the boxed
set, which of course has no box and is basically streamed so you never
actually own anything at all.

TV is mostly passive and really probably now has had its day.

Depends what you mean. Half the country sitting down and watching
the same programme at exactly the same time is gone.

Watching programmes and films on a screen in the living room, kitchen,
bedroom, or (new this decade) palm of your hand, is as popular as it's
ever been, what's changed is ease of record/playback, and an expansion
in the forms of delivery.

This has also led to a shortening of attention span, probably because
the watching of moving pictures on a screen has become less of an
"occasion", and therefore we've come to realise that the attendant
fripperies of presentation don't matter so much. Typically a well made
Youtube video will stick to a single topic, get straight to the point,
and explain whatever it needs to in less time than the title sequence
and preamble of a typical mainstream TV programme on the same subject.

Frequently these days I see an advertised documentary on a subject
that looks interesting, but then check the running time and wonder if
I really want to spend an hour or an hour and a half watching an
expensive presenter walking about in expensive locations saying the
same things over and over again.

Unless it's David Attenborough. Some people still have the magic.