Do LED bulbs interfere with DAB radio?

Old December 27th 16, 04:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Do LED bulbs interfere with DAB radio?

What you need is a small scanning radio with an am output. I used to have
one when I could see and it was very easy to find nasty interfering devices
with that device.
Probably loads on Ebay, Need to cover band 3 for this use but a dc to 1 gig
one will be very handy fro tracking nasty noises down.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Scott" wrote in message
I installed LED spotlights in the kitchen and when they are all on the
DAB radio stops working. I am wondering if this is due to:

1. A general problem with LED lighting (in which case is it fit for
purpose for domestic use?)
2. A single faulty bulb
3. A particular issue with 12 Volt bulbs

I should explain this is a somewhat unusual installation. The lights
are powered by torroidal transformers (for which I am assured there is
no minimum load). The transformers are a long way from the radio and
have never previously caused difficulties, so I am convinced the
problems lie with the bulbs themselves.

A quick search suggests that the problem could be Electromagnetic
Compatibility (EMC) or lack of it.

Any ideas among the experts?

Old December 28th 16, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:12:14 -0000, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

What you need is a small scanning radio with an am output. I used to have
one when I could see and it was very easy to find nasty interfering devices
with that device.
Probably loads on Ebay, Need to cover band 3 for this use but a dc to 1 gig
one will be very handy fro tracking nasty noises down.
Brian

I tried a Pure One Mini (batteries) and it was much less affected.
More modern piece of kit though. As I held it to the lamps the sound
deteriorated. However when I sat it beside the transformers it was
fine so I am assuming the spotlights are to blame.