Timeline for BBC local news in HD?

Old December 22nd 16, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

Default Timeline for BBC local news in HD?

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?
Old December 22nd 16, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 08:34:59 -0800 (PST), larkim
wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.
Old December 22nd 16, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 22nd 16, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:22:27 +0000 (GMT), charles

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

Que? If the techology exists it cannot be for technical reasons. If
the technology is too expensive that is a financial reason. We know
the technology exists ergo the barrier is financial.
Old December 23rd 16, 12:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

Que? If the techology exists it cannot be for technical reasons. If
the technology is too expensive that is a financial reason. We know
the technology exists ergo the barrier is financial.

In many industries the expression "for technical reasons" is a
euphamism for "We don't wish to elucidate further".

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 23rd 16, 06:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

Que? If the techology exists it cannot be for technical reasons. If
the technology is too expensive that is a financial reason. We know
the technology exists ergo the barrier is financial.

In many industries the expression "for technical reasons" is a
euphamism for "We don't wish to elucidate further".

Maybe, but my source was upfront:

"n the question of HD transmission in general, there are currently no
plans to introduce such a service for BBC Two in any of the nations.
The reason for this is entirely financial, rather than technological.
However we fully intend to continue to monitor the position should
circumstances change, financially or technologically."
Old December 23rd 16, 07:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/12/2016 16:34, larkim wrote:
When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

BBC Regional news in HD might be a long way off in some areas, all BBC 1
regions being available as BBC 1 HD will be sooner, because with the 700
MHz sell off to be completed by early 2020, simulcasting of HD and SD
will have to cease, (to make proper use of remaining spectrum post 2020).

Therefore between now and 2020 we're likely to see BBC 1 and 2
available in HD in all regions and 'nations'.
The only BBC regions that are HD capable for the local news are
London, North West, and South West. The only nation is Scotland.
Cardiff is moving to a brand new building in 2018/9, so that'll
go HD, duuno about Belfast.

For the remaining SD only local news studios, they will be upscaled to
HD (as Wales and NI currently are)

Nottingham was next due for a refit, but I'm told all refits for the
regions are now on hold. Plymouth was the last regional HD refit,
so that can do HD, but of course is only presently seen in SD, (same for
North West and London).

--
Mark
Old December 23rd 16, 07:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Are you sure its not just a case of them being to 'tight' up there to spend
any money?
I know this is what you meant but why call aspade a man powered digging
device.

Old December 23rd 16, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

Que? If the techology exists it cannot be for technical reasons. If
the technology is too expensive that is a financial reason. We know
the technology exists ergo the barrier is financial.

In many industries the expression "for technical reasons" is a
euphamism for "We don't wish to elucidate further".

As with airlines who rather like to use the expression 'for operational reasons', ie
the plane's in the wrong place, it doesn't work, the pilot's not here, the baggage
handlers are on strike, it's a bit misty, or French air traffic controllers have
gone AWOL again.

Old December 23rd 16, 08:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

When is this coming? Seems excessively long in the development?

I'm told BBC Two Scotland cannot be broadcast on HD for entirely
financial - not technical - reasons.

It's both. Financial means the technology cannot be purchased.

Que? If the techology exists it cannot be for technical reasons. If
the technology is too expensive that is a financial reason. We know
the technology exists ergo the barrier is financial.

In many industries the expression "for technical reasons" is a
euphamism for "We don't wish to elucidate further".

or more likely " I don't understand".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England