Timeline for BBC local news in HD?

Old December 29th 16, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default Timeline for BBC local news in HD?

On 29/12/2016 10:40, charles wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

if that "average household" has 2 teenagers, I wouldn't be surprised.

Don't be ! Our two teenagers are now twenty somethings, last month we
consumed 487.4 Gigs.

--
Mark
Old December 29th 16, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 29/12/2016 10:35, Mark Carver wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

Ofcom's Connected Nations 2016[1] reports gives *for fixed broadband
connections* Average monthly data usage, per residential connection
132GB (up from 97GB in 2015). But that is of course:

a. excluding all the people without fixed broadband; and
b. including those with very high use. Eg the average for people with
10Mbit/s or better is 153GB, and for 30Mbit/s or better 169GB.

[1]
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-an...d-nations-2016

--
Robin
Old December 29th 16, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 29/12/2016 10:47, Martin wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

120 gigabits or gigabytes?

Gigabytes I assume.

I get through around 20 gigabytes/months without using internet to watch TV.

Ten years ago we had a 2 Mb/s connection, and a capped 3GB allowance.

How times change !

--
Mark
Old December 29th 16, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

120 gigabits or gigabytes?

I get through around 20 gigabytes/months without using internet to watch TV.

I don't use much streaming TV, do watch quite a lot of youtube in HD,
and do use streaming radio in much the way I would use an "old" radio
i.e. I might turn it on in the kitchen while I eat breakfast, then leave
it playing most of the day, just so it's on whenever I happen to wander
down for a coffee or to check the washing machine etc, I tend to have
VPN or RDP sessions logged-in to customer sites for long periods, and
audio conference or webex sessions several times a week.

From September to December, I used 364GB.

Old December 29th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

...and transponder space to carry a dozen more BBC 1 HDs for
Freesat/Sky (probably two whole transponders worth

Easy to engineer, but try and get that lot past the bean counters
for the sake of less than a hour a day's worth of programming.
(And that's just to get upconverted SD regional news on BBC 1 HD
in every region)

The only cost effective way for local TV to be distributed without the
massive duplicated effort of today is over streaming internet.

The BBC has already decided that BBC3 was such minor interest it no
longer justified a single satellite channel, local and regional TV is
no different. Having a dozen or more satellite channels that show
identical programming 23.5 hours a day is a waste of money.

Most new TVs and set-top boxes have internet capability now, so it
needs a new specification for Freeview and Freesat boxes that
integrates streaming internet programmes into the EPG transparently,
effectively putting BBC3 back into the TV schedules.

BBC1 and ITV1 would normally be off-air programming, much cheaper than
the internet, but would switch to streaming internet for local
programming transparently. Viewers would be unaware of how the
programmes are being delivered.

Local adverts delivered over the internet could also be inserted into
programmes. It might be possible to pre-download adverts, overnight
for instance, to avoid slow downs during peak times, and slot them into
programmes as needed.

Since the government seems to want to sell off all broadcasting
spectrum for mobile phone and internet use, this is going to happen
sooner or later.

Angus

Old December 29th 16, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 29/12/2016 12:51, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 10:55:56 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 29/12/2016 10:47, Martin wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

120 gigabits or gigabytes?

Gigabytes I assume.

I get through around 20 gigabytes/months without using internet to watch TV.

Ten years ago we had a 2 Mb/s connection, and a capped 3GB allowance.

How times change !

We've never had capping in The Netherlands. It seems to be a British thing
along with double glazed window sellers :-)

I seem to recall it was because BT Openreach had (still has?) very mean
wholesale data provision tariffs, which of course the ISPs passed on to
the punters in the form of caps ?

Unbundled exchange connections (LLU) were unaffected, but of course
these were (still are) only available at major exchanges, so rural
dwellers still have to pay more for data and/or be capped.

All a mess (as is anything BT touch)

Further reading

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/uk-isp-plusnet-tackle-broadband-price-confusion-low-cost-areas.html

--
Mark
Old December 29th 16, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

On 29/12/2016 10:47, Martin wrote:

I heard on the news yesterday (so it may well be ********) that the
average data consumption for a UK household is now 120 gigs/month.

120 gigabits or gigabytes?

Gigabytes I assume.

I get through around 20 gigabytes/months without using internet to watch TV.

Ten years ago we had a 2 Mb/s connection, and a capped 3GB allowance.

How times change !

We've never had capping in The Netherlands. It seems to be a British thing
along with double glazed window sellers :-)

You mean you've never heard of a 'Dutch cap'?
[I'll get my coat.]
--
Ian
Old December 29th 16, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 29/12/2016 10:17, charles wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

Most new TVs and set-top boxes have internet capability now, so it
needs a new specification for Freeview and Freesat boxes that
integrates streaming internet programmes into the EPG transparently,
effectively putting BBC3 back into the TV schedules.

Which would mean that quite a lot of people wouldn't have access to TV
because they don't have th necessary internet connection bandwidth.

and, even if they did, it would eat into their monthly data allowance.

And many Local News viewers will never get broadband, they don't want it!

The audience is different. Many are of a generation who can't or don't
want to get into the technology.

There are areas of the UK who don't even have a broadband connection,
and aren't likely to for some years.

And the BBC has a commitment to reach as many as possible. There is also
a little known Public Service requirement, snow reports, lost children, etc.

BBC3 was always aimed at the generation for whom internet is a must!
Old January 3rd 17, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

wrote in message

I would be happy with the SD output being sent out on the HD channel
for the duration of the local news for the purely lazy reason that it
is a PITA to switch away from the swimming Hippos and soothing sound
of children laughing.
An HD picture does not add much to the scene of a wet and cold
reporter stood in the dark on a motorway over bridge where a mile away
at a spot out of sight an incident occurred 8 hours earlier in the
morning but because the local population apparently don't know where
their local Motorways are it is essential to point out where it is
amongst the murk.
Besides even though my screen size isn't large by todays standards I'm
not sure I want to see Sally Taylor in HD as she presents NHS Daily
Report. Sorry , that should have said South Today.
Doesn't anything interesting happen for local news to report on
nowadays, Tuning into South Today after missing the title sequence
most nights and you'd be forgiven for thinking that Casualty had got
rescheduled.

G.Harman

Yes but which local SD output should be sent via the wide-area HD? They're
all meant to be 'local'.
--
Dave W

Old January 5th 17, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:57:38 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

All a mess (as is anything BT touch)

Our Aurora stuff has been a catalogue of... (well I'm sure you know).