Complaint from a tenant today

Old December 25th 16, 12:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Complaint from a tenant today

The problem with both myself and my father having been involved in tvs for
many years, back in the day, was that when a real service person came around
as officially we were not supposed to touch it as it was rented, they would
end up giving us a bag of fuses and then only secure the back with two
screws, and suggest we replace them until something eventually goes bang and
they can find it.
We never did burn the house down with that Decca colour set, but it was
close on some occasions.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 December 2016 05:47:49 UTC, wrote:
My television goes all funny in the afternoon and my neighbour is the
same. You'll have to come when it's happening or you won't believe it.

It's not those home videos backfeeding into the system again is it?

Or is it 1966 all over again? In which case he's watching ITV3.

Owain

Old December 25th 16, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

The remark?
I think the picture valve has gone.

It goes further back than that. When I was kid we didn't
have a TV but when the wireless packed up, my mum would
always ask "Is it the power valve" ...

--

Terry
Old December 25th 16, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 01:54:28 -0000, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

And what about the health and safety aspects of hot soldering irons when
there are children about. as I say nobody does that kind of thing in houses
any more if at all.

Brian

And remembering not to say **** when you get zapped by the EHT.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 25th 16, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Brian-Gaff
scribeth thus
Never heard that one before..
I do however remember that if my father had had a fiver for every time a
particular remark was made he would be a rich man.
The remark?
I think the picture valve has gone.
I'd love to know what the modern equiv of this is, but then these days
nobody repairs anything, do they they just domp it and buy another one.
Brian

We used to have that here in Cambridge where back in the day there were
several Pye factories and departments.

All the freaking time it was;

"The man from Pye's says its the picture valve thats gone "

Some times the "sound" valve. Most of them used to work on production
lines or the stores or accounts and the like but as they were at "Pyes"
then they knew all there wasn't to know about how to fix a TV!.

Glad I'm long out of that industry now

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 26th 16, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

And what about the health and safety aspects of hot soldering irons when
there are children about. as I say nobody does that kind of thing in houses
any more if at all.

Brian

And remembering not to say **** when you get zapped by the EHT.

Moving a potted plant to cover the burn mark in the carpet where the
soldering iron slipped off its holder.
Old December 29th 16, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, 26 December 2016 09:20:02 UTC, wrote:
Moving a potted plant to cover the burn mark in the carpet where the
soldering iron slipped off its holder.

Realising that's why you'd moved the potted plant last time you called and wondering how quickly you can get another one.

"Wrights TV Repairs, free african violet with every call out"

Owain