Free wifi in Hull.

Old December 21st 16, 10:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default Free wifi in Hull.

On 21/12/16 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
No that is dial up speed. Its a bit like these shared bt wifi with phone
things you encounter around the place. One I can connect to here is really
awful.
What is the point of such things if they are so slow?
Even 3G can beat it.
Brian

I was once working in a London hotel that had guests complaining of
appallingly slow BT guest WiFi. This was surprising news, so wandered
over, did a site survey and got 16Mbps quite reliably except for a few
front bedrooms overlooking the park, where less than 2Mbps.

That led (quick) investigations to an outside Westminster Council street
lamp(!), with a WiFi hotspot sat on top and the same "BTWifi" SSID ...

There were some subtle branding changes to the connection landing page,
but guests don't really visit these things to check closely...

So the hotel one got changed to something else.

-&-

Hotel room telecoms (be that WiFi, Ethernet, Analogue phones including a
last century modem socket) _was_ a way that some establishments could
make extra income from captive business guests, to offset the cut-throat
pricing of room rates.

(Well, that and changing silly for the morning breakfast fry-up. I hate
that.)

Now hotels "have to" have free fast WiFi for guests, and in crowded
areas there is interference and problems with that, so it's not cheap to
install particularly if they are headlining "free lightning wireless
provided".

So room rates will be going up, and eventually hotels will coming down
to be replaced by the Japanese capsule coffin style things.

Give me a tranquilliser shot and a cardboard box ...

--
Adrian C