It's almost like having valves...

Old December 22nd 16, 12:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

Default It's almost like having valves...

In message , Alan White
writes
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:43:58 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I used to live in a very cold flat where it used to get to 8 deg C in
the mornings.

I used to live in a house in which ice formed on the inside of the
windows during the night. This was in the 1940s.

You had windows? Luxury!
--
Ian
Old December 25th 16, 08:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Benderthe.evilrobot

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 15:31:47 UTC, Paul D Smith wrote:
I have the windows open unless it's quite a bit below zero all night.
also live in an uninsulated 1930s solid wall house with a flat roof and
zero insulation and getting it up much above 18degC is hard. I'd like
insulate but that involves removing the roof or ceilings throughout the
house and removing the external render, cladding and re-rendering. It
will get done at some point but it's not cheap and there are more
pressing
matters tugging at my wallet.

Paul DS.

I trump you with my 1901 terrace house. It does have the advantage of
sucking in quite a bit of heat from my neighbours on both sides though. I
too have the windows open most of the time, and hate being in
environments
where the temperature is the same everywhere.
+++++
A nearby house was recently clad in insulation and then re-rendered.
When I
see the owners I will be asking whether they notice a difference because
we
do notice the cold when it truly arrives.

Paul DS.

I live in a flat and put extra roof insulation on the flat roof. Quite a
noticeable difference overnight and also lower bills.

My flat is almost completely surrounded - generally only use heating to thaw
out after I've been out in the cold.