It's almost like having valves...

Old December 20th 16, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Default It's almost like having valves...

I have the windows open unless it's quite a bit below zero all night. I
also live in an uninsulated 1930s solid wall house with a flat roof and
zero insulation and getting it up much above 18degC is hard. I'd like to
insulate but that involves removing the roof or ceilings throughout the
house and removing the external render, cladding and re-rendering. It
will get done at some point but it's not cheap and there are more pressing
matters tugging at my wallet.

Paul DS.

I trump you with my 1901 terrace house. It does have the advantage of
sucking in quite a bit of heat from my neighbours on both sides though. I
too have the windows open most of the time, and hate being in environments
where the temperature is the same everywhere.
+++++
A nearby house was recently clad in insulation and then re-rendered. When I
see the owners I will be asking whether they notice a difference because we
do notice the cold when it truly arrives.

Paul DS.

Old December 20th 16, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 15:31:47 UTC, Paul D Smith wrote:
[...]

I live in a flat and put extra roof insulation on the flat roof. Quite a noticeable difference overnight and also lower bills.

Cavity wall insulation was less noticeable and only caused a minor bill reduction.
Old December 20th 16, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 19/12/2016 13:33, Bill Wright wrote:
On 19/12/2016 09:45, Woody wrote:
"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
news

18C in a living room is a bit on the cold side - usual recommendation
is 20-22C living and 18C for bedrooms.

I keep my whole house at 22C. It's too hot really so I have to strip
off. The reason I keep the house so warm is that I don't like the
greenies telling me to save energy.

Bill

what a frightening thought.
Old December 20th 16, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 20/12/2016 15:31, Paul D Smith wrote:
I trump you with my 1901 terrace house.

I suspect I have you both.

Our house is rendered on the outside, and plastered on the inside.
There's nothing in between, except some timbers. It's got some
fibreglass in one patch now because we had to have the wall rebuilt.

Though I suppose that is sort-of a cavity wall.

Andy
Old December 21st 16, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/12/2016 12:25, Martin wrote:

When our Dutch house was new the front and back walls were almost entirely
single glazed glass. We replaced all the windows in the house with double glazed
windows. The radiator pipes are not lagged and pass under the house. We can't
access them without ripping up a concrete floor and a parquet floor. Air bricks
ensure icy gales blow over the pipes in winter

Cover the air bricks. I do that every autumn.

Old December 21st 16, 09:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, 19 December 2016 08:37:56 UTC, Paul D Smith wrote:
Perhaps TVs should come with the LCD equivalent of a 'block heater' (used to
pre-warm cars in cold climes) :-).

I used to live in a very cold flat where it used to get to 8 deg C in the mornings.

The computer keyboard wouldn't work until the gas fire had got the room up to about 12.

Owain

Old December 22nd 16, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Alan White wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:43:58 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I used to live in a very cold flat where it used to get to 8 deg C in
the mornings.

I used to live in a house in which ice formed on the inside of the
windows during the night. This was in the 1940s.

+1

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 22nd 16, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Alan White wrote:

Owain wrote:

I used to live in a very cold flat where it used to get to 8 deg C
in the mornings.

I used to live in a house in which ice formed on the inside of the
windows during the night. This was in the 1940s.

Ditto various student houses in the 1980's.

Old December 22nd 16, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

I used to live in a very cold flat where it used to get to 8 deg C in the mornings.

I used to live in a house in which ice formed on the inside of the
windows during the night. This was in the 1940s.

That happened in my bedroom in the 1950s.