Christmas tv.

Old December 20th 16, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Christmas tv.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
e...
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm underwhelmed from what I've heard there is nothing on any of the main
channels that is in any way new, there are lots of Christmas versions of
well known stuff, all probably made last July, and there is a Dr Who,
Sherlock which I find total crap, and what else?
All the so called well known celebrities and comedians do not make me
laugh, and most of them I've never heard of. mrs Browns boys is so stupid
its like watching some kind of rehersal with the swearing left in. Maybe
its me, but all this is just the same old tosh.

Time was when several video recorders were needed to store stuff and you
could be watching xmas stuff till easter, but not any more.
Brian

Bah! Humbug!!

I note that I still have stuff recorded from last Xmas on my PVR (there were
a lot of old films that interested me)

Though this Christmas looks a bit more spare in terms of things that I want
to record so hopefully I will complete the festival period at least
break-even.

tim

---

Old December 20th 16, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:49:39 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

You could apply the process in reverse and record in advance of
Christmas.

Indeed. Currently our PVR only has 6% spare disc space, so an ideal opportunity is
coming up.

6%? Luxury!

It's nature's way of telling you that you didn't need to record the 94%.

It's a reminder that it's nearly time to reformat the drive.

Old December 20th 16, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:33:02 GMT, pamela wrote:

Time was when several video recorders were needed to store stuff
and you could be watching xmas stuff till easter, but not any
more.
Brian

These days, don't most people over Christmas watch streaming
telly, Netflix, YouTube or DVDs?

Yes, all of the above, and more. I hardly ever watch anything on
conventional TV when it's actually broadcast, and much of what I do
watch is with liberal use of the fast forward or skip buttons, or
after editing out the adverts. And I'm not even a young person, just
somebody long accustomed to the freedoms offered by books, and glad
that at last television is getting close to offering the same.

I'd almost forgotten that old routine of flicking through the
Radio Times and marking programmes. So much broadcast telly has
become rubbish.

I haven't bought the Radio Times for many years. A subscription to
Digiguide is a fraction of the cost, and enables me to set the PVR for
the good programmes much further ahead.

Old December 20th 16, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

You could apply the process in reverse and record in advance of
Christmas.

Indeed. Currently our PVR only has 6% spare disc space, so an ideal opportunity
is
coming up.

6%? Luxury!

It's nature's way of telling you that you didn't need to record the 94%.

It's a reminder that it's nearly time to reformat the drive.

Or dump the recorder to save the hassle of setting it up to record what you're never
going to watch.

Wasn't there an Irish one that you could set up to watch all the programmes for you
while you were out?

Old December 20th 16, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

[...]

ditto, much cheaper guides are available

A subscription to
Digiguide is a fraction of the cost, and enables me to set the PVR for
the good programmes much further ahead.

Ah, but you can't draw rings around what you want to watch on digiguide

tim

Rod.

---

Old December 20th 16, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Roderick
Stewart writes

I haven't bought the Radio Times for many years.

Those who saw my posts in uk.d-i-y will know that a copy of the
Christmas Radio Times is essential for winding your latest set of
Christmas lights around, when you take them down on 5th January. The one
I use is for Christmas 1997 - and was a fat bumper-bundle edition
covering two weeks. It's probably the last one I ever bought.

--
Ian
Old December 20th 16, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 20/12/2016 9:10, Anonymous wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm underwhelmed from what I've heard there is nothing on any of the main
channels that is in any way new, there are lots of Christmas versions of
well known stuff, all probably made last July, and there is a Dr Who,
Sherlock which I find total crap, and what else?
All the so called well known celebrities and comedians do not make me
laugh, and most of them I've never heard of. mrs Browns boys is so stupid
its like watching some kind of rehersal with the swearing left in. Maybe
its me, but all this is just the same old tosh.

Time was when several video recorders were needed to store stuff and you
could be watching xmas stuff till easter, but not any more.
Brian

Bah! Humbug!!

+1

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old December 20th 16, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2016 09:24, Mark Carver wrote:
On 19/12/2016 16:13, Scott wrote:

You could apply the process in reverse and record in advance of
Christmas.

Indeed. Currently our PVR only has 6% spare disc space, so an ideal
opportunity is coming up.

Yer eyes are bigger than yer belly, in television viewing terms.

Old December 20th 16, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

wrote:

You could apply the process in reverse and record in advance of
Christmas.

Indeed. Currently our PVR only has 6% spare disc space, so an ideal
opportunity is
coming up.

6%? Luxury!

It's nature's way of telling you that you didn't need to record the 94%.

It's a reminder that it's nearly time to reformat the drive.

Or dump the recorder to save the hassle of setting it up to record what
you're never going to watch.

Wasn't there an Irish one that you could set up to watch all the
programmes for you while you were out?

The electric monk.

http://theelectricmonk.com/ElectricMonk.html

--