Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

Old December 15th 16, 07:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

Microsoft says that Flash content won't even be loaded, "improving
performance, battery life, and security." If you frequent a site that relies
on the feature, don't worry, as you'll still be able to enable it on-demand.
When visiting a page that requires it, you'll be given the option to either
allow it once, or always.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...reators-update

Old December 15th 16, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Phi wrote:

Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

They pretty well have for current pages; doubt they'll ever revisit old
pages using flash.

Old December 15th 16, 07:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Phi wrote:

Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

They pretty well have for current pages; doubt they'll ever revisit old
pages using flash.

'This Morning' requires flash which is pretty current.

Old December 15th 16, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Phi wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Phi wrote:

Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

They pretty well have for current pages

'This Morning' requires flash which is pretty current.

This morning is ITV, not BBC.

Old December 15th 16, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Phi wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Phi wrote:

Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

They pretty well have for current pages; doubt they'll ever revisit
old pages using flash.

'This Morning' requires flash which is pretty current.

You'd need to give more details on how you are accessing that, and what
format, etc, you're using compared with when you get HTML5/DASH. Is it
iplayer live, listen again, or non-iplayer, for example, that you mean?
What user software?

AIUI For a long time now the BBC have provided alternatives to flash for
iplayer use, and it is then up to the way your OS and user software access
and present to the BBC systems.

On occasion they have had server problems which may mean non-flash doesn't
work correctly. But otherwise you should find alternatives are provided.
Possible exceptions for programme-specific 'podcasts', etc, which aren't
handled via iplayer.

Old December 15th 16, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Phi wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Phi wrote:

Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

They pretty well have for current pages

'This Morning' requires flash which is pretty current.

This morning is ITV, not BBC.

Sorry, I meant 'Breakfast' which is also current.

Old December 15th 16, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering. My
other machine with 'Flash' lets BBC programmes play.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I thought the idea was for a page to see what you have on your machine and
send the data in the appropriate form. This surely has to happen already
for Apple devices??

"Phi" wrote in message
news

Old December 15th 16, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.
My other machine with 'Flash' lets BBC programmes play.

I use get-iplayer (the free and open script, not the BBC come-lately of the
same name). For many months now all my BBC iPlayer files for TV have been
fetched via HLS (IIRC). Radio via MPEG-DASH. Only needed flash modes
(which didn't require me to run flash anyway) when there was a server
mix-up.

As I think has been explained in the past to others, the iPlayer may (try
to) send via the flash modes if your user software doesn't let it know you
want the moder modern methods and seems to accept flash mode. No idea what
any non-iPlayer 'downloads' may do.

Old December 16th 16, 06:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

--
Robin