Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

Old December 18th 16, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

On 17/12/16 09:30, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Jeff Layman
wrote:
On 16/12/16 10:52, Jim Lesurf wrote:

The BBC have never "supported Linux" as such. What they have done is
use methods which they expect most browser/OS to accept. The problem
being that they weren't always well informed. e.g. Adobe told them
that Flash worked fine on Linux, when they'd actually stopped issuing
updated versions long ago, leaving Linux users with a buggy old
version.

Jim

Slightly OT, but Adobe have just issued a Flash Player update for Linux.
It's now 24.0.0.186 - the same as for Windows.

Curious. I wonder what has made them decide to change their previous
decision to abandon providing an updated Linux version. Until the above, it
has been *years* since any Linux version update.

And given the hidden flaws in previous versions, I wonder how long it will
take to find the ones in the new version, and what they might be...

Jim

I wondered that too. But I'm pleased they have, as in my experience
Flash is far from dead.

Maybe it's not too difficult as Adobe has a Flash Player for Android. As
that's just about the most widely used OS in the world, and is based on
Linux, producing a generic Linux Flash Player can't be that much of a
challenge.

--

Jeff
Old December 18th 16, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Jeff Layman
wrote:
Curious. I wonder what has made them decide to change their previous
decision to abandon providing an updated Linux version. Until the
above, it has been *years* since any Linux version update.

And given the hidden flaws in previous versions, I wonder how long it
will take to find the ones in the new version, and what they might
be...

Jim

I wondered that too. But I'm pleased they have, as in my experience
Flash is far from dead.

Alas, yes. Although in general I just use a browser that doesn't run Flash
(and only has minimal Javascript support) and accept this means that some
things 'don't work'.) I then make exceptions for specific sites where I
think appropriate.

Maybe it's not too difficult as Adobe has a Flash Player for Android. As
that's just about the most widely used OS in the world, and is based on
Linux, producing a generic Linux Flash Player can't be that much of a
challenge.

Given all the cross-platforms libraries, development kits, etc, you'd think
they could have managed anyway. However, I simply prefer to avoid Flash.
Not needed it for anything since I switched to using get-iplayer. Good
riddance.