Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

Old December 16th 16, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 07:29:49 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 16th 16, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.

Working ok for me.

Very amusingly, at the top of the page I get the message "Firefox has
prevented the outdated plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running on
www.bbc.co.uk." Maybe that's because the page shows there is no support
for Linux. :-(

For additional info, the page links to a fairly old blog at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/8be5501d-43e7-4bf6-8f1e-e7037980a0f0

--

Jeff
Old December 16th 16, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes
foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines
here (Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.

Working ok for me.

I thinks it may be the page for the intial test trials of HTML5. You
shouldn't need to register in general for it nowdays. The issue is that
your browser (or other user program) has to react in a way that tells the
servers you can accept methods like HLS or MPEG-DASH and doesn't want
'flash' mode mediation.

Very amusingly, at the top of the page I get the message "Firefox has
prevented the outdated plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running on
www.bbc.co.uk." Maybe that's because the page shows there is no support
for Linux. :-(

The BBC have never "supported Linux" as such. What they have done is use
methods which they expect most browser/OS to accept. The problem being that
they weren't always well informed. e.g. Adobe told them that Flash worked
fine on Linux, when they'd actually stopped issuing updated versions long
ago, leaving Linux users with a buggy old version.

Old December 16th 16, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/12/2016 10:01, Martin wrote:

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.

Me too initially try it without the question mark at the end of the URL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5

The question mark is not part of the hyperlink here in Thunderbird. Nor
is it in Google Groups. But if it is in other readers I'll try to
remember to separate links from punctuation in future.

--
Robin
Old December 16th 16, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.

Working ok for me.

Very amusingly, at the top of the page I get the message "Firefox has
prevented the outdated plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running on
www.bbc.co.uk." Maybe that's because the page shows there is no support
for Linux. :-(

For additional info, the page links to a fairly old blog at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/8be5501d-43e7-4bf6-8f1e-e7037980a0f0

--

Jeff

I don't know who is kidding whom, The BBC HTML5 opt-in page says:

'Flash is not installed or enabled
If you would prefer not to use the HTML5 Player beta on this device you must
download or enable Flash.
If you want to try the BBC HTML5 Player you must opt-in
Your device doesn't seem to be compatible with the HTML5 Player. You can
still opt in, but playback may be unreliable or you may not be able to play
content at all. To be able to use the new HTML5 Player, please upgrade to
Opera v32 or above'.

This browser (Opera v43.02) is HTML5 enabled otherwise I could not watch
Youtube. My guess is that the Beeb has mixed the two standards together
somehow with their HTML5 beta player dependent on Flash.

Old December 16th 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/12/2016 10:52, Jim Lesurf wrote:

I thinks it may be the page for the intial test trials of HTML5. You
shouldn't need to register in general for it nowdays. The issue is that
your browser (or other user program) has to react in a way that tells the
servers you can accept methods like HLS or MPEG-DASH and doesn't want
'flash' mode mediation.

FWIW I tested it this morning on "Breakfast". I had HTML5 when I was
"opted in"; Flash when "opted out"; HTML5 again when back in. Of course
that may be only 'cos I opted in to the trial when it was a trial; or
'cos I'm using Win 10 (54) + Firefox 50.0.1; or 'cos I've abused too
many electrons; or...

--
Robin
Old December 16th 16, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
[...]

v42.02??
In my PC I have
Version: 42.0.2393.85 - Opera is up to date
Update stream: Stable
System: Windows 10 32-bit"
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Opera x64 v43.0.2431.0

Old December 16th 16, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On 15/12/2016 11:08, Phi wrote:
I have a machine without 'Flash' that leaves BBC programmes foundering.

Have you checked that you are opted in to HTML5 on that machine - at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5? It gets reset on one of the machines here
(Windows 10 + Firefox) from time to time.

I get a 404 on that.

Me too initially try it without the question mark at the end of the URL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5

That works, thanks.
I've opted in. Using Cyberfox 50.1, 32-bit.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 16th 16, 05:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 16/12/16 10:52, Jim Lesurf wrote:

The BBC have never "supported Linux" as such. What they have done is use
methods which they expect most browser/OS to accept. The problem being that
they weren't always well informed. e.g. Adobe told them that Flash worked
fine on Linux, when they'd actually stopped issuing updated versions long
ago, leaving Linux users with a buggy old version.

Jim

Slightly OT, but Adobe have just issued a Flash Player update for Linux.
It's now 24.0.0.186 - the same as for Windows.

--

Jeff
Old December 17th 16, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Jeff Layman
wrote:
On 16/12/16 10:52, Jim Lesurf wrote:

The BBC have never "supported Linux" as such. What they have done is
use methods which they expect most browser/OS to accept. The problem
being that they weren't always well informed. e.g. Adobe told them
that Flash worked fine on Linux, when they'd actually stopped issuing
updated versions long ago, leaving Linux users with a buggy old
version.

Jim

Slightly OT, but Adobe have just issued a Flash Player update for Linux.
It's now 24.0.0.186 - the same as for Windows.

Curious. I wonder what has made them decide to change their previous
decision to abandon providing an updated Linux version. Until the above, it
has been *years* since any Linux version update.

And given the hidden flaws in previous versions, I wonder how long it will
take to find the ones in the new version, and what they might be...