So what are they?

Old December 14th 16, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default So what are they?

I've just heard an advert, one of those annoying ones that assumes everybody
knows what its about?
It was for a shop selling 'Android TVs' as they put it. Now to me Android
is the operating system google wrote for smart phones. If indeed real tvs
are now using it, does this mean that the voice on android is going to be
usable in the tv menus, if so, then bring it on, but somehow I suspect app
based tv software might not be taking advantage of such a system and just
using the operating system for convenience and dare I suggest cheapness.

Old December 14th 16, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

a shop selling 'Android TVs' as they put it.

Sony seem to be the main manufacturer using Android in their smart TVs,
not sure who else is?

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/android-tv

The interface looks nothing like a smartphone, it's designed for use
from a remote, and they accept speech input to search for programmes,
but no mention of speech output.

You can install android apps from the google play store, so that might
provide a route to add a talking app for the blind, I suppose it might
restrict what apps are allowed to be installed.

Old December 14th 16, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

a shop selling 'Android TVs' as they put it.

Sony seem to be the main manufacturer using Android in their smart TVs,
not sure who else is?

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/android-tv

The interface looks nothing like a smartphone, it's designed for use
from a remote, and they accept speech input to search for programmes,
but no mention of speech output.

You can install android apps from the google play store, so that might
provide a route to add a talking app for the blind, I suppose it might
restrict what apps are allowed to be installed.

I don't know about Android but the credits tucked away on my 55 inch Samsung
Smart TV includes Linux and Nuance. The latter makes Dragon Naturally
Speaking, currently only available on Windows but the TV is advertised as
supporting speech recognition. I have never enabled it.

Old December 14th 16, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 14/12/16 11:08, Andy Burns wrote:

You can install android apps from the google play store, so that might
provide a route to add a talking app for the blind, I suppose it might
restrict what apps are allowed to be installed.

It's not great, there are thousands of applications on an Android smart
phone and only a couple of hundred (if that) on an Android TV. There is
a way of sideloading applications but it's a bit hacky - I haven't got
the interest. Oh and I've had a few crashes. It's such fun waiting for a
TV to boot or install updates. Not.

IMO Sony has never got the idea of providing decent human ergonomics on
their equipment across the board (well most things, don't know about
mobiles) so expecting it to be something properly disability accessible
I feel would be a bit of an ask.

--
Adrian C
Old December 14th 16, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 14/12/2016 10:57, Brian Gaff wrote:
It was for a shop selling 'Android TVs'

The Amazon and Roku media boxes/sticks all use Android. The Amazon ones
have a remote you can talk to. Don't know how good it is - they are no
good to me on this connection. Can't stream decent video.

Andy
Old December 14th 16, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Vir Campestris wrote:

The Amazon ones have a remote you can talk to

I think Brian was hoping the TV would talk to him ...

Old December 15th 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:36:14 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 14/12/2016 10:57, Brian Gaff wrote:
It was for a shop selling 'Android TVs'

The Amazon and Roku media boxes/sticks all use Android. The Amazon ones
have a remote you can talk to. Don't know how good it is - they are no
good to me on this connection. Can't stream decent video.

I've only briefly experiment with the voice control on mine, and
quickly decided that I'd rather press buttons. The voice search
function only seems to find Amazon's own material from the top menu,
and therefore isn't much use within an application, so I'd have to end
up pressing buttons anyway.

What I find most appealing about the Amazon remote control is its
simplicity compared with every other remote control I possess. It has
so few buttons I can easily operate it by feel without even looking at
them, and as it is connected by Bluetooth rather than infra red, it
isn't even necessary to point it anywhere.

Unfortunately for our friend Brian, there isn't any audible response
to indicate what it's doing, just visible highlighting of items on the
screen. There is software for Windows that provides audible screen
descriptions, so there seems no reason in principle why it shouldn't
be possible for an Android streaming box too, but I don't know if
anybody has done this yet.

Old December 16th 16, 05:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Well Android as an os has an inbuilt screenreader now like Apples IOS has.

I'd certainly not want a voice search system, quite pointless that sort of
thing. I do know that the Amazon and Google add in sticks talke and so does
the other American one but the issue is that some of the apps for the
various services do not use the speech and are thus inaccessible. if this
idea was developed it could be a very cheap and easy way for tv makers to
add this function like Samsung has. panasonic made great strides in this
direction but seem to have lost their way of late, maybe due to just being
badge engineers now to save money.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old December 16th 16, 05:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

The latest Samsungs have voice output, the other name also make synthetic
voice systems as well, so it probably has output too.

I think with the tantalisingly closeness of support here, they should go the
extra inch. I do know a lot of elderly folk who would love menus and program
guides to be spoken, at present mid range and up samsungs are the only game
in town. considering how easy this is to do, it seems stupid not to do it.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news

Old December 16th 16, 05:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

The android voices most are using seem to be out of date, ie its Android
Pico a boring asthmatic lady.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)