OT - embarrassing admission

Old December 13th 16, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default OT - embarrassing admission

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Can't imagine waiting for a PC to boot up every time I want to read
Usenet
posts.

How long do you think Win10 takes to boot up on a 6-8 year old desktop
PC?

Haven't a clue. Why don't you tell me?

I use NewsTap on iPad/iPhone with Eternal September. ES gets the
occasional
bout of constipation but it doesn't usually last long.

Longer than it takes a PC to boot up? :-)

iPad/iPhone is "always on". Effectively zero boot up time. About one
second
to open up NewsTap.

And then you have to view it on a small screen (depends on size of iPad, I
suppose!) and then you have to type using an on-screen keyboard which uses
up scarce space on screen and is very slow to use, because virtual keys are
so small that you need to type one-fingered, very slowly.

I use an always-on Windows PC and a proper keyboard and mouse. Best of all
worlds :-)

iPads and tablets are fine for reading occasional messages when away from
desk or in town etc, but I wouldn't try to do any real work on one,
especially if it required a lot of text to be typed and to be copied/pasted.
For me they can never be a replacement for a full-size PC (or at least a
laptop), only as a quick, portable toy.

I have fat fingers and I need a full-size keyboard. Also I can select and
position things more accurately and more quickly with a mouse. I miss the
right-click context menu (cut/copy/paste/delete) in Android and iPad.

Old December 13th 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

For sure there are downsides but given that trolls excepted, most of us
read way more than we post it's not a huge problem. Typing isn't as slow
as you're suggesting either. One fingered yes, but adequate speed for most
replies to not take too long.

I use an always-on Windows PC and a proper keyboard and mouse. Best of all
worlds :-)

Fine if you don't mind the unnecessary power consumption and only accessing
Usenet from one room in your house. I think it's the way my grandad did it.
;-)

iPads and tablets are fine for reading occasional messages when away from
desk or in town etc, but I wouldn't try to do any real work on one,
especially if it required a lot of text to be typed and to be copied/pasted.

Well that's not what they're designed for.

For me they can never be a replacement for a full-size PC (or at least a
laptop), only as a quick, portable toy.

Not a replacement but way more that a toy I'd argue.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 13th 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin wrote:

My PC takes about 30 seconds to boot and is independent of Apple :-)

30 Seconds? Sheesh, who's got time for that? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 13th 16, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 14:40:59 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:29:28 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Geoff Pearson wrote:
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not a
proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't
insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may
change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

Can't imagine waiting for a PC to boot up every time I want to read Usenet
posts.

How long do you think Win10 takes to boot up on a 6-8 year old desktop PC?

Haven't a clue. Why don't you tell me?

I use NewsTap on iPad/iPhone with Eternal September. ES gets the occasional
bout of constipation but it doesn't usually last long.

Longer than it takes a PC to boot up? :-)

iPad/iPhone is "always on". Effectively zero boot up time.

You never turn your iPad off?

Why would you? Power consumption in standby is as near zero as makes no
practical difference and if I'm using it frequently I'll charge it
overnight.

I suppose that reduces the capital cost/minute ;-)

About one second
to open up NewsTap.

Is your 6-8 year old PC faster than that?

My PC is on all day too.

Using a lot more power no doubt.

Agent takes about the same time to open as you take to open News Tap. I guess
the big difference is that my PC cost £25 second hand four years ago.

Is your PC in your bedroom, dining room, sitting room, bathroom, motorhome
etc, etc? PCs have their place of course but they are not "better" than a
tablet any more than an orange is "better" than an apple.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 13th 16, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Roderick
Stewart writes

Many years ago in the dark days of DOS, I was a Demon user for a
while, and what they supplied then was a software package called KA9Q.
This peculiar name didn't seem to say anything about what the software
did, but all became clear (sort of) on discovery that it was the
amateur radio callsign of the chap who wrote it. Things were a lot
more casual then.

Rod.

Yes, I used that too for my first year or so online. IIRC KA9Q came
bundled with something called PCElm for email and Snews for news.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses
Old December 13th 16, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Thunderbird is very user-friendly, and has lots of easy-to-use features.
There are also loads of add-ons. The one thing it doesn't have is
Turnpike's ability to automatically downloads the bodies of posts, and
retain them for off-line access for whatever time period you specify.
Perhaps it's worst feature is the way it uses coloured bars to indicate
quoted text in replies and follow-ups, instead of the usual and -
but there is a fairly simply fix for this.

I'd love to recommend what I use (!Pluto) as it lets me keep copies of all
my sent/fetched emails and news postings. And lets me do regex searches
though them. Very useful at times. I currently have just over 19,000 email
and news items stored in it. With thousands of others in 'external mailbox'
directories I can access when necessary.

But you'd need to run RISC OS to use it! :-) The closest I've seen on other
platforms is Messenger Pro, but I'm now mainly thinking of emails. You'd
have to pay for it, but it has RO, Windows, and Linux versions.

!Pluto also warns you if you do something like try sending a reply to a
newsposting via email, so helps to avoid 'Ooops!'

Old December 13th 16, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 12/13/2016 9:50 AM, Geoff Pearson wrote:
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not
a proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't
insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may
change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

I've been using Thunderbird - it's easy to set up and flexible enough
for my needs.

Old December 13th 16, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 13/12/2016 10:14, Bob wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:50:41 +0000, Geoff Pearson wrote:

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Thunderbird seems popular with many Windows users.

+1
The main thing is to keep your email client separate from your news
client to avoid embarrassing mistakes :-)

I don't recall doing that...

T'Bird is good enough that ICBA looking for anything else.

Andy
Old December 13th 16, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , John Hall
scribeth thus
In message , Geoff Pearson
writes
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 -
not a proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it
doesn't insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better
and may change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

I use Turnpike but, as it's no longer available and hasn't been for many
years, that's not very helpful. You might find this useful:

Well it is available but there are licensing issues I think some have
got around that..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...et_newsreaders

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 16, 09:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 13/12/2016 13:34, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:44:38 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

I use Thunderbird for text newsgroups, and Pan for binaries because it
stitches together multi-part posts and decodes yenc on the fly. Both
are available for Windows or Linux Mint.

Agent 8 also handles multipart messages transparently. The user is provided with
the assembled file ready to use.

True, but Pan is free.