OT - embarrassing admission

Old December 13th 16, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

Default OT - embarrassing admission

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 10:15:57 +0000, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
o.uk...

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:50:41 +0000, Geoff Pearson wrote:

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Thunderbird seems popular with many Windows users.

The main thing is to keep your email client separate from your news
client to avoid embarrassing mistakes :-)

and is that what you use?

No, I should have clarified, I'm not a Windows user. I'm merely
repeating recommendations I've heard from Windows users.

When I did use Windows I had the free version of Forte and then moved
onto Gravity. That was many years ago so I can't comment on what they
are like now nor have I seen many recommendations for them. Gravity
*used to be* very good.

I still stick by my advice to separate news from Mail though.

Old December 13th 16, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Geoff Pearson wrote:

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff, I agree - the email clients I've used all make ****-poor usenet
clients.

I use XanaNews, which has an XP-style interface (thus a tad
old-fashioned)
but extremely good functionality and is highly customisable in terms of
fonts,
colours, etc.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Tools/XanaNew
s.shtml#download

--
Steve Thackery, Nottingham, UK
Old December 13th 16, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Steve Thackery wrote:

Geoff, I agree - the email clients I've used all make ****-poor usenet
clients.

I use XanaNews, which has an XP-style interface (thus a tad
old-fashioned)
but extremely good functionality and is highly customisable in terms
of fonts,
colours, etc.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...og-Tools/XanaN
ew s.shtml#download

Although you can see I haven't got the line wrap
set up correctly yet! :-)

--
Steve Thackery, Nottingham, UK
Old December 13th 16, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , John Hall
writes
In message , Geoff Pearson
writes
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 -
not a proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it
doesn't insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel
better and may change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

I use Turnpike but, as it's no longer available and hasn't been for
many years, that's not very helpful. You might find this useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...et_newsreaders

I'm also an ex-Demon Turnpike user - and I'm still using it for
newsgroups.

Although I've briefly tried other mail/news clients, for test purposes
I've had Thunderbird running in parallel with Turnpike for several
years, and can thoroughly recommend both for email and news. Since Demon
killed off my email service, and I had to move to Plusnet, I'm now using
Thunderbird 'for real' for emails (although I'd eventually like to
revert to Turnpike).

Thunderbird is very user-friendly, and has lots of easy-to-use features.
There are also loads of add-ons. The one thing it doesn't have is
Turnpike's ability to automatically downloads the bodies of posts, and
retain them for off-line access for whatever time period you specify.
Perhaps it's worst feature is the way it uses coloured bars to indicate
quoted text in replies and follow-ups, instead of the usual and -
but there is a fairly simply fix for this.

--
Ian
Old December 13th 16, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 13/12/2016 09:50, Geoff Pearson wrote:
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not a
proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't
insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may
change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

I use Thunderbird for text newsgroups, and Pan for binaries because it
stitches together multi-part posts and decodes yenc on the fly. Both
are available for Windows or Linux Mint.

Old December 13th 16, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:44:38 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

On 13/12/2016 09:50, Geoff Pearson wrote:

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

I use Thunderbird for text newsgroups, and Pan for binaries because it
stitches together multi-part posts and decodes yenc on the fly. Both
are available for Windows or Linux Mint.

I hadn't realised Pan had a Win version - I'll add the vote to Pan (which
I use on Linux)

Old December 13th 16, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:21:22 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

I use Turnpike but, as it's no longer available and hasn't been for
many years, that's not very helpful. You might find this useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...et_newsreaders

I'm also an ex-Demon Turnpike user - and I'm still using it for
newsgroups.

Many years ago in the dark days of DOS, I was a Demon user for a
while, and what they supplied then was a software package called KA9Q.
This peculiar name didn't seem to say anything about what the software
did, but all became clear (sort of) on discovery that it was the
amateur radio callsign of the chap who wrote it. Things were a lot
more casual then.

Old December 13th 16, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Geoff Pearson wrote:
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not a
proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't
insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may
change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

Can't imagine waiting for a PC to boot up every time I want to read Usenet
posts.

I use NewsTap on iPad/iPhone with Eternal September. ES gets the occasional
bout of constipation but it doesn't usually last long.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 13th 16, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...
I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Microplanet Gravity.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Yes, Gravity is excellent - and it's free!

I've been using it for quite a while now.

--

Terry
Old December 13th 16, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:29:28 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Geoff Pearson wrote:
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not a
proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't
insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may
change my ways.

I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do
chaps/chapesses use/recommend?

Geoff

Can't imagine waiting for a PC to boot up every time I want to read Usenet
posts.

How long do you think Win10 takes to boot up on a 6-8 year old desktop PC?

Haven't a clue. Why don't you tell me?

I use NewsTap on iPad/iPhone with Eternal September. ES gets the occasional
bout of constipation but it doesn't usually last long.

Longer than it takes a PC to boot up? :-)

iPad/iPhone is "always on". Effectively zero boot up time. About one second
to open up NewsTap.

Is your 6-8 year old PC faster than that?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls