Beware low sat dishes.

Old December 12th 16, 08:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Beware low sat dishes.

Just heard a story that sounds a bit, um unlikely to me on one of those
local stations nobody listens to except by accident.
Apparently during the summer a neighbour turned their extension flat roof
into a playground for the kids complete with fence, paddling pool and
trampoline ( are they trying to kill their children?). However the crux of
the story was that next doors flat roof had the sat dish mounted on it
facing the next doors roof and when the kids were bouncing on the trampolene
the sat signal cut out.
So beware folks, its not just growing trees than can affect your reception.
The station was one of those small medium wave community stations from Upt
north but it faded out and I don't know the exact frequency. I strongly
suspect a big news story in those parts its when the farmers pig gets hit
by a tractor you know the sort of thing.

Old December 12th 16, 08:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

when the kids were bouncing on the trampolene the sat signal cut out.
The station was one of those small medium wave community stations

medium wave satellite? sounds legit!

Old December 12th 16, 06:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/12/2016 09:47, Paul Cummins wrote:

It's unlikely to be true. We had a standard Sky offset dish "stealth"
mounted on the fenceline, literally at knee-height because it had line of
sight to the satellite and we wanted the dish hidden.

No matter who stood in front of it, it worked fine - the angle the dish
is receiving at is surprisingly high.

The kids would have to be close, it's true, However I had a customer
whose sat reception went off when anyone walked past. The dish was at
ground level and the footpath was only about six feet away. Also had one
where the tipper lorries in the yard next door cut it off when they were
in the up position, which they were every evening so they could be hosed
down.

These problems often occur when the ground slopes upwards towards the
south east. For instance I can cut off reception to one of my dishes by
sitting on my back gate.

Old December 13th 16, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes I thought so as well. One has to realise I think that a lot of these
stations struggle to fill their air time, and often get hold of old news,
tweak it about till its unrecognisable to the real story then spew it out on
air. Knowing some people its just as likely to have been gathered up from
some twitface posts during the year in any case.
Yes indeed, I would imagine that having trampolines even on a first story
extension roof was several accidents waiting to happen, but then again,
there is that Darwin effect to be taken into account. People do some very
odd things that for some reason seem to them to be OK.
To me electricians fitting new meters on live mains seems foolhardy, but
its going on all the time.
Back in the old days when my Father worked at rediffussion, we had TVs with
no backs on them so we could hit the right bit of the pcbs or change fuses
when they went bang. I was only little when he put a black and white
projection tv inside a drop leafed table with it projecting on the wall. I'm
sure I got my dose of x rays from that thing to last a lifetime.

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
k...
In article ,
(Brian
Gaff) wrote:

Apparently during the summer a neighbour turned their extension
flat roof into a playground for the kids complete with fence,
paddling pool and trampoline ( are they trying to kill their
children?). However the crux of the story was that next doors flat
roof had the sat dish mounted on it facing the next doors roof and
when the kids were bouncing on the trampolene the sat signal cut
out.

It's unlikely to be true. We had a standard Sky offset dish "stealth"
mounted on the fenceline, literally at knee-height because it had line of
sight to the satellite and we wanted the dish hidden.

No matter who stood in front of it, it worked fine - the angle the dish
is receiving at is surprisingly high.

We were, admittedly, on the south coast.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981