Old friends

Old December 10th 16, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Default Old friends

Colleagues,

None of you will remember me, but several years ago I was a fan and
occasional contributor to this august group. When I moved house it was
one of many things in my life that I left behind, especially as my ISP
stopped providing a usenet server.

Having need to put some money an aerial installer's way I immediately
thought of you folks, and after much messing about I've found a usenet
server which allows free connection (news.aioe.org, should anyone be
interested).

I was delighted to see so many familiar names still posting away - Bill
Smith, Jeff Layman, Brian Gaff, Paul D Smith, Paul Ratcliffe, Tony
Sayer, to mention just the ones showing right now on my screen. I
hadn't realised how much I missed the mixture of erudition and
good-humoured banter on a host of subjects.

Anyway, my mum is in need of an aerial installer so I've been looking
in the usual places: Thomson, Yellow Pages, Google, and it's a
nightma endless adverts from the big franchises, plus a few along
the lines of "Acme Ariels, 17 Gas Street, Bulwell".

As I've ranted on here before, there's no obvious way of telling if
these are exceptionally good, utterly incompetent, or bare-faced
robbers.

About a year ago she selected one from the council's "Trusted Traders"
list. He was undoubtedly honest and a nice chap, but by 'eck was he
thick - verging on a learning disability, I suspect. He fitted a small
log periodic on a new mast and ran in a new downlead, but reception has
been marginal ever since. She is reluctant to call him again for
obvious reasons.

To be fair to the guy she expressed a preference to watch East Midlands
TV off Kimberley, even though Ofcom (I think?) suggest Sutton Coldfield
for her area, which transmits West Midlands local news. So he did what
was asked, but didn't warn her reception might be marginal and fitted
what looks like a very weedy little aerial (but I'm no expert judge on
this).

She lives in Ripley, Derbyshire, and I'm in Nottingham, so that's the
kind of geographical area I'm interested in.

Can any of you either: a/ recommend a trustworthy installer in the
vague area to the West of Nottingham, Kimberley, Heanor, Ripley,
Alfreton kind of area who knows his way around aerials and a spectrum
analyser, or b/ advise me on a reliable way of finding someone who is
competent? There should be no work required other than changing and
aligning the aerial - I believe the mast and downlead to be good.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Steve Thackery, late of Felixstowe, now of Nottingham
Old December 10th 16, 05:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
news
[...]

Try Eternal September as a news server. Free, very reliable, and
AFAICT all newsgroups available.

In your list you forgot Bill Wright and ME!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 10th 16, 05:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 15:13:48 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

[...]

I remember you Steve, I hadn't noticed you had gone.

Another popular free Usenet service is eternal-September.org
I always think of aioe as the McDonalds Farm server ;-)

If I was in your position, I would look for a long established family
firm. I wouldn't insist on them being a member of a trade
association, but I would ask if they had public liability cover.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 10th 16, 11:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/12/2016 15:13, Steve Thackery wrote:

Can any of you either: a/ recommend a trustworthy installer in the
vague area to the West of Nottingham, Kimberley, Heanor, Ripley,
Alfreton kind of area who knows his way around aerials and a spectrum
analyser, or b/ advise me on a reliable way of finding someone who is
competent? There should be no work required other than changing and
aligning the aerial - I believe the mast and downlead to be good.

Thank you in anticipation.

It's false economy to not replace the cable. Likewise the support has to
be good if it is to be retained. If it was originally fitted by a
mentally subnormal person as you suggest it probably isn't much good.
The cost of aerial installs is getting the guy on site, equiped,
insured, and onto the roof. The bits and bobs are minimal.

I don't know of anyone in Nottinghamshire, but it isn't impossibly far
from here. You could contact my son Paul, tell him I sent you, and ask
him for a price.

Paul Wright

07930 347632

Bear in mind he only answers the phone when he's in a safe place!

Old December 11th 16, 01:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Woody wrote:

In your list you forgot Bill Wright and ME!

Trust me, Woody, I would never forget either yourself or Bill Wright!
I confess I just listed the ones that immediately sprang out at me from
the message list. But some of you are such "big" presences here that I
will remember you to my dying day. :-)

Thanks for the tip about Eternal September - I'll switch to it straight
away.

Old December 11th 16, 01:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Bill Wright wrote:

Bear in mind he only answers the phone when he's in a safe place!

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate the lead.

Old December 11th 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 11/12/2016 02:26, Steve Thackery wrote:

Thanks for the tip about Eternal September - I'll switch to it straight
away.

It is possible to use both.
I have aoie as a fallback for the occasions when my normal newsgroup
source has an outage. That way I don't miss conversations I am following.

Old December 11th 16, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But that does cost, though not very much it has to be said.
However nobody has tackled the original issue here. He says the downlead is
good, but its the first thing I'd suspect if reception is marginal myself.
Water in feeder issues are a real pain in the neck.
Also of course even small changes to the actual siting of the aerial can
make big differences in this situation.
Not knowing the area myself, I'd not comment on where to get the signals
from, but it might be worth considering two aerials, one for the bulk of
the stuff which are not regional and one specific to the area she wants, so
that if that version does drop out at times, she is not without a feed that
is reliable.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 09:40:44 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 11/12/2016 02:26, Steve Thackery wrote:

Thanks for the tip about Eternal September - I'll switch to it straight
away.

It is possible to use both.
I have aoie as a fallback for the occasions when my normal newsgroup
source has an outage. That way I don't miss conversations I am following.

Eternal September is a better news server than aioe. For 100% reliability
use
news.individual.net
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old December 11th 16, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Steve Thackery wrote:

In your list you forgot Bill Wright and ME!

Actually, the truth is I had a brief brain glitch when typing Bill
Smith, because I did indeed mean Bill Wright. (I know a Bill Smith
also, which is why I unthinkingly typed the wrong name).