Old friends

Old December 11th 16, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

Default Old friends

Brian Gaff wrote:

He says the
downlead is good, but its the first thing I'd suspect if reception is
marginal myself. Water in feeder issues are a real pain in the neck.

That's a good point, and echoes Bill's about the feeder. The main point
for me is that the aerial is inaccessible without a proper roof ladder,
hence
requiring the services of a local professional. But I will definitely
be happy
for him to replace the feeder if it proves necessary.

I think, though, that the main problem is that the previous fitter had
just one
type of aerial on his van which he used for everything, and it
presumably
isn't suitable for a marginal reception area. As I say, I think the
problem
arises because she wanted to receive East Midlands in an area which
is supposed to be outside the range of the East Midlands transmitter.
But yes - I've no problem at all with having a new feeder installed.

Also of course even small changes to the actual siting of the aerial
can make big differences in this situation. Not knowing the area
myself, I'd not comment on where to get the signals from, but it
might be worth considering two aerials, one for the bulk of the
stuff which are not regional and one specific to the area she wants,
so that if that version does drop out at times, she is not without a
feed that is reliable. Brian

Thanks, Brian, that's another option to consider.

Yesterday I discussed it with her and I think she'd be happy enough
to forego East Midlands news if it means reliable reception, so I will
discuss that option with the aerial fitter.

I'll follow Graham's advice and see if I can find an established family
firm.
Bill's son is one option, although the travelling might be a bit
expensive
for what will be a relatively simple job.

Thanks again, guys, for such helpful responses (on aerials and usenet
servers!).

--
Steve Thackery, Nottingham, UK
Old December 11th 16, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 15:13:48 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Anyway, my mum is in need of an aerial installer so I've been looking
in the usual places: Thomson, Yellow Pages, Google, and it's a
nightma endless adverts from the big franchises, plus a few along
the lines of "Acme Ariels, 17 Gas Street, Bulwell".

As I've ranted on here before, there's no obvious way of telling if
these are exceptionally good, utterly incompetent, or bare-faced
robbers.

About a year ago she selected one from the council's "Trusted Traders"
list. He was undoubtedly honest and a nice chap, but by 'eck was he
thick - verging on a learning disability, I suspect. He fitted a small
log periodic on a new mast and ran in a new downlead, but reception has
been marginal ever since. She is reluctant to call him again for
obvious reasons.

To be fair to the guy she expressed a preference to watch East Midlands
TV off Kimberley, even though Ofcom (I think?) suggest Sutton Coldfield
for her area, which transmits West Midlands local news. So he did what
was asked, but didn't warn her reception might be marginal and fitted
what looks like a very weedy little aerial (but I'm no expert judge on
this).

She lives in Ripley, Derbyshire, and I'm in Nottingham, so that's the
kind of geographical area I'm interested in.

Can any of you either: a/ recommend a trustworthy installer in the
vague area to the West of Nottingham, Kimberley, Heanor, Ripley,
Alfreton kind of area who knows his way around aerials and a spectrum
analyser, or b/ advise me on a reliable way of finding someone who is
competent? There should be no work required other than changing and
aligning the aerial - I believe the mast and downlead to be good.

Thank you in anticipation.

Firstly do a bit of homework yourself and then check if the installer
makes sense. I'm on the other side of Nottingham and despite all
recommendations to point to Nottingham (was called Kimberley) or
Sutton Coldfield I put my own aerial in (bungalow) and new cabling and
ended up pointing to Waltham which may well be a good alternate for
Ripley if you want East Midlands.

Put your location in on http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm and
check what it gives.

I bought a Log 36 from
http://aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#DMlog and the cable.
Have used the same at two difficult locations with good results, one
pointing to Waltham and one pointing to Nottingham.

If I was looking for an installer one place to look is

https://www.cai.org.uk/

I've found the council Trusted Traders disappointing, but then I've
found councils disappointing so what can you expect.

Don't see why Bill doesn't come out - it's not that far and he only
costs a cup of tea (come on Bill - you're spending far to much time on
the net!).

--
AnthonyL
Old December 11th 16, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 21:57:42 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

Don't see why Bill doesn't come out - it's not that far and he only
costs a cup of tea (come on Bill - you're spending far to much time on
the net!).

I think you'll find he's retired and therefore doesn't know how he ever
found time to work.
Old December 12th 16, 12:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/12/2016 21:57, AnthonyL wrote:

If I was looking for an installer one place to look is

https://www.cai.org.uk/

Hmm...

Don't see why Bill doesn't come out - it's not that far and he only
costs a cup of tea (come on Bill - you're spending far to much time on
the net!).

Can't be arsed these days. I send the lad. He knows more than me anyway.

Old December 13th 16, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

She lives in Ripley, Derbyshire, and I'm in Nottingham, so that's
the
kind of geographical area I'm interested in.

Can any of you either: a/ recommend a trustworthy installer in the
vague area to the West of Nottingham, Kimberley, Heanor, Ripley,
Alfreton kind of area who knows his way around aerials and a
spectrum
analyser, or b/ advise me on a reliable way of finding someone who
is
competent? There should be no work required other than changing and
aligning the aerial - I believe the mast and downlead to be good.

Thank you in anticipation.

--

Try Eternal September as a news server. Free, very reliable, and
AFAICT all newsgroups available.

In your list you forgot Bill Wright and ME!

And Bill Wright may be the best one to advise he's excellent with
erections ya know..

Welcome back to the madhouse Steve!
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 14th 16, 12:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_4_]

tony sayer wrote:

Welcome back to the madhouse Steve!

Thank you, Tony!