OT You can't win

Old December 10th 16, 02:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default OT You can't win

I sent a Christmas card to an autistic friend. I'm very fond of her but
her reactions are sometimes surprising, as she is totally literally
minded. Because of her bereavement this year I included a note: "Let's
hope for a better 2017'. She received the card and immediately picked up
her phone. "There's 23 days left in 2016. Anyone might die."

Old December 10th 16, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes that is very true. I often think things like this when I hear them on
the radio, but I of course would rethink it and realise its not meant to be
taken literally.
On another subject songs for new year are often written but with the year
as part of the song which makes them very hard to apply to other years.Abba
did this in Happy New Year the words down the line rhyming with end of 89,
showing that it was in fact written in 79. Enya likewise matches then
with 2010, thus making it impossible to re sing it for 2016.
Why do these things bother me? Only because radio stations play these
tracks every year carefully ignoring the embedded use by dates in the
lyrics.

news

Old December 10th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 10/12/2016 03:15, Bill Wright wrote:
I sent a Christmas card to an autistic friend. I'm very fond of her but
her reactions are sometimes surprising, as she is totally literally
minded. Because of her bereavement this year I included a note: "Let's
hope for a better 2017'. She received the card and immediately picked up
her phone. "There's 23 days left in 2016. Anyone might die."

At least Kirk Douglas made it to 100 years old yesterday

--
Mark
Old December 10th 16, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Me

On 12/10/2016 11:33 AM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/12/2016 03:15, Bill Wright wrote:
I sent a Christmas card to an autistic friend. I'm very fond of her but
her reactions are sometimes surprising, as she is totally literally
minded. Because of her bereavement this year I included a note: "Let's
hope for a better 2017'. She received the card and immediately picked up
her phone. "There's 23 days left in 2016. Anyone might die."

At least Kirk Douglas made it to 100 years old yesterday

He was good in "Cactus Jack", also notable for starring Arnie and Anne
Margaret.
Old December 11th 16, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 10/12/2016 17:16, Me wrote:
On 12/10/2016 11:33 AM, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/12/2016 03:15, Bill Wright wrote:
I sent a Christmas card to an autistic friend. I'm very fond of her but
her reactions are sometimes surprising, as she is totally literally
minded. Because of her bereavement this year I included a note: "Let's
hope for a better 2017'. She received the card and immediately picked up
her phone. "There's 23 days left in 2016. Anyone might die."

At least Kirk Douglas made it to 100 years old yesterday

He was good in "Cactus Jack", also notable for starring Arnie and Anne Margaret.

One of my favourites of his

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092105/

--
David Kennedy