BBC3

Old December 12th 16, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default BBC3

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 16:01:52 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , d writes
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:03:43 +0000
Mark Carver wrote:
A few years ago, when it became clear that S4C was no longer financially
viable to be supported by advertising alone (remember until DSO it used
to show timeshifted C4 programmes), then it was decided to divert some
of the licence fee towards it.

I feel sorry for the majority of the welsh people who had to watch that
parochial tripe instead of C4 just so a minority language could be kept on
life support. Anyone who wanted to speak welsh already did, it didn't need
an entire TV channel dedicated to it. Ditto the gaelic stuff up in scotland.

Although I know a few words, Gaelic (either flavour) and Welsh are among
the several languages I've had a look at, but find essentially totally
incomprehensible.

Welsh certainly doesn't help itself by redefining the sounds of half the
latin alphabet. Quite why they decided not to use it like almost every other
european language is anyones guess.

However, there is some good stuff on BBC Alba - especially the
traditional and pseudo-traditional music. Much of the other stuff
(plays, documentaries and dramas) have English subtitles.

There's nothing wrong with putting the cultural side on TV, but having an
entire station that only a tiny fraction of the population can understand
IMO is just absurd.

What I do think is daft are the bi-lingual 'Welcome to Scotland" signs
when you cross the border from England. The nearest indigenous
predominantly Gaelic speaker is probably at least 150 miles away.

Its nothing more than a political statement "we're different to you". Its the
same divisive mentality that has bilingual english-welsh signs in places like
Pembrokeshire.

--
Spud