BBC3

Old December 9th 16, 07:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

Default BBC3

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:54 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(Martin) wrote:

No, because BBC3 content is not "television programmes"

It's BBC Programmes available via iPlayer

I disagree - because that would require a licence for iPlayer Radio as
well.

It is not possible to form a description that includes BBC3 online
services without also capturing BBC radio online with the same definition.
Or at least it is not possible to read the legislation in such a way that
gives effect to that distinction.

If BBC3 is "BBC Programmes online", then so is BBC Radio podcasts etc. If
they are not captured by the legislation (because they are not Television
Broadcsts, despite being BBC Programmes available via iPlayer) then BBC3
is likewise not covered.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...dio_tv_licence
"Do I need a TV Licence to listen to BBC iPlayer Radio?

We can confirm that you don't need a licence to listen to or download radio
programmes via BBC iPlayer Radio.

The change in law applies to watching TV programmes via BBC iPlayer (TV) only."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...ne/topics/bbc-
iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

"Do I need a licence for everything on BBC iPlayer?
You need to be covered by a licence to watch or download almost all BBC
programmes on iPlayer. At the moment, there are just a few
exceptions – watching
S4C TV on demand, listening to radio, and watching films or TV shows you’ve
bought on the BBC Store. There may be other exceptions in the future.
Remember, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record any live TV programmes
on any channel, no matter what device you use."
Can I be prosecuted for watching BBC programmes on iPlayer
without a TV Licence?
Yes. The maximum penalty is a £1,000* fine plus any legal costs and/or
compensation you may be ordered to pay.
*The maximum fine is £2,000 in Guernsey and £500 in Jersey."

That still doesn't really explain things clearly.

However, the next bit definitely does:

What’s the difference between live TV and on demand?
Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as
it's being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. Find out more
about watching live TV.
On demand means any programme you download or watch that is not
being shown as live TV, including catch up TV. These programmes can be
accessed on a website or through an app on a smart TV, digital box or
any other device. On demand also includes exclusive programmes that are
only available online. You don’t need to be covered by a licence to
watch any films or TV s.

The "or live on an online TV service" obviously includes BBC3.
--
Ian
Old December 9th 16, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 15:30 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

BBC3 is not a Broadcast channel, it's a Streaming website.

Beg pardon, BBC3 is a steaming what..?

Old December 9th 16, 07:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:52:11 +0100, Martin wrote:

"Can I be prosecuted for watching BBC programmes on iPlayer without a TV
Licence?
Yes. The maximum penalty is a 1,000* fine plus any legal costs and/or
compensation you may be ordered to pay."

And the difference is that because you have to watch it via the
internet instead of a broadcast transmission - it's traceable, so you
can't deny it. Happy days.

Old December 9th 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Steaming christmas pud.
Its allso coverd by the tv licence as i said.
Bring back the test card and the interlude

Old December 9th 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh really what is it then?
A christmas pudding, a green giant?

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
k...
In article ,

(Mark Carver) wrote:

BBC 3 content is carried on (and only available on ?) iplayer, and
therefore.....

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...ics/bbc-iplaye
r-and-the-tv-licence?&WT.mc_id=rdir_tvlcouk-lawchange

No, because BBC3 content is not "television programmes"

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Old December 9th 16, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Stop talking rot. There is no such thing as a radio only licence. It is
excepted by other legislation. However bbc 3 has video and thus is tv.
Now I hear you say, some radio programs do have studio cams or sometimes
appear as Periscope feeds etc, but that is not often and indeed is hardly
broadcast quality most of the time.
it is the case however that bbc 3 is still covered by a the licence no
mater how much you protest. At the moment its only your word on a button but
I understand much as some other channels now do, you will have to get an
account to view tv programs via eye player witch will allow them to check
out if you have paid up. I have a different gripe with the licence. As a
blind person I get half price licence, or if anyone in my household is blind
and the licence is in their name. Now I am totally blind though, I'd really
like to ditch the monitor and only listen to tv with AD or without, and yet
I still have to pay a licence for what in effect is radio as it has no
picture as far as I am concerned.
Partially sighted fine but I cannot now derive any kind of use from a
screen at all. as you can probably tell by the way I make mistakes on touch
typing... grin.

Old December 9th 16, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I foresee a time when its pay as you watch via your contactless card, that
most certainly will show the makers which programmes are any good.

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 08/12/2016 18:54, Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
lid (Martin) wrote:

No, because BBC3 content is not "television programmes"

It's BBC Programmes available via iPlayer

I disagree - because that would require a licence for iPlayer Radio as
well.

It is not possible to form a description that includes BBC3 online
services without also capturing BBC radio online with the same
definition.

How about:-
Quote from link provided up thread

"You need to be covered by a licence to watch or download almost all
BBC programmes on iPlayer. At the moment, there are just a few
exceptions watching S4C TV on demand, listening to radio, and watching
films or TV shows youve bought on the BBC Store. There may be other
exceptions in the future.

Remember, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record any live TV
programmes on any channel, no matter what device you use." End Quote

Or at least it is not possible to read the legislation in such a way that
gives effect to that distinction.

If you say so

Old December 9th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Cummins[_5_]

In article ,
lid (Martin) wrote:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...dio_tv_licence
"Do I need a TV Licence to listen to BBC iPlayer Radio?

We can confirm that you don't need a licence to listen to or
download radio
programmes via BBC iPlayer Radio.

The change in law applies to watching TV programmes via BBC iPlayer
(TV) only."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...ics/bbc-iplaye
r-and-the-tv-licence

None of that is the Legislation though - it's the BBC's interpretation of
it, which IMO, is incorrect, as, if you need a licence for a BBC
Programme, you need one for BBC radio.

Or to stream a pre-recorded BBC programme from your Sky Q box to your
phone after your licence expires.

As BBC 3 is not a TV Programme broadcaster, its content is not licensable
under the TV Licence regulations.

Old December 9th 16, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham Murray

"Brian Gaff" writes:

Stop talking rot. There is no such thing as a radio only licence. It is
excepted by other legislation. However bbc 3 has video and thus is tv.

Apart from being shown on iPlayer, what makes BBC3 'TV Programmes' where
productions shown on Amazon, Netflix etc. are not 'TV'. In other words,
what is the characteristic which distinguishes a TV Programme, a Video
Recording (professionally produced with Actors), and a Movie?