should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

Old December 8th 16, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 07/12/2016 16:27, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Those who didn't vote don't count. So what you mean is, more than
half gave us to opportunity to have a bright future as an independent
country.

Interesting example of how to pretend that those who did not vote
aren't people.

No, I'm not pretending they aren't people. I'm saying they're stupid
idle people who don't deserve a say.

Do you include all those who were too young to vote at the
the time, but will be when we actually leave the EU?

Yes of course.

Right, so they are also "stupid and idle" and "don't deserve a say" in
their own futures so far as you are concerned. I can't help thinking
the UK is in trouble if everyone under 18 last summer is stupid and
idle. Maybe we should start raising the voting age to keep them from
ever voting!

What a barmy concept! Are you suggesting that when a law
with long term implications is made every child should get a vote?

Actually they do, eventually. have a say *for normal elections*. That's
a key point some people seem wilfully to ignore or are too dim to grasp.

When one Parliament passes a law, later ones can repeal or amend it. Thus a
law passed when you were a child can be repealed or changed later on when
you have a say in the matter. Key part of our normal democratic process.

But a 'trapdoor' decision like 'leave' simply doesn't work in that way.
Once we have left the EU, no Westminster vote can of itself restore things
as they were.

I guess it is no surprise that you failed to understand this and its full
implications. I'd suspect many who didn't vote at all didn't twig it,
either, or they might have voted. But of course the Daily Hate wasn't going
to point it out.

So this may seem 'barmy' to you, but is a normal part of the UK electoral
system.

Back in reality, I doubt we know why, individually, many poople didn't vote.
But in your mind they must *all* be stupid and idle, including the ones who
couldn't manage to vote because they were too young, ill, etc. Or perhaps,
like yourself, didn't realise how this vote was different from our
usual electoral democratic processes. Too stupid and idle.

IIRC When Scotland had its vote on Independence, the rules were changed to
allow those over 16 to vote. The reason being that such a 'trapdoor' vote
would affect them for far longer than old farts like you or me. Helped to
avoid them complaining later on that we'd sold them down the river. But
from your 'barmy' comment maybe you had nae clue this was the case.

Old December 8th 16, 09:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 05:17:34 +1100
"Rod Speed" wrote:
wrote in message news
On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:32:57 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 07/12/2016 12:51, Jim Lesurf wrote:

A quarter of the UK population just forced us *all* to gamble on that!

Jim

Those who didn't vote don't count. So what you mean is, more than half
gave us to opportunity to have a bright future as an independent
country.

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government,
non-voters can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.

Anyone who didn't vote in the referendum with the months of advance
notice given allowing plenty of time to research the issues along with the
availability of postal voting clearly didn't give a **** one way or the
other

Quite a few of them may have decided that the referendum
would fail and kicked themselves when it didnít.

And quite a number who decided it would succeed anyway so didn't bother either.

and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next time.

Those that didnít vote because they had decided
that the referendum would fail clearly would.

I doubt it. There's always a large group of people who never vote no matter
what.

--
Spud

Old December 8th 16, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 17:49:49 +0000 (GMT)
Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , wrote:

Anyone who didn't vote in the referendum with the months of advance
notice given allowing plenty of time to research the issues along with
the availability of postal voting clearly didn't give a **** one way or
the other and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next
time.

Or "clearly" decided they'd been told so many lies by both sides and not
had the facts that they had no idea which way to vote and wanted real info.

Unless they're too stupid to use google or they're very elderly and have no
online access thats no excuse.

Or "clearly" were under 18 but may have wanted to vote before it was too
late (i.e. were old enough that they *would* be 18 by the time we left.)

Oh boo hoo. Perhaps we should use the same logic in general elections too. If
someone will be 18 in 5 years time let them vote! Or how about we just let
anyone alive vote even if they've just been born since they'll also be
affected? But wait, some unborn foetuses might be born by the time the new
government comes in, so lets give them a vote too!

So your attempt at telepathy to read *every* mind of *every* person who
didn't vote might just be be missing something.

It might seem like telepathy to someone like you who's apparently not the
smartest bear in the woods, but to most people its pretty obvious why the
majority of non voters didn't bother.

--
Spud

Old December 8th 16, 09:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 01:40:33 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/12/2016 16:32, Ian Jackson wrote:

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government,
non-voters can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.

In that respect it mirrors many of life's important decisions.

Its all a bit scary for some kidults, they can't handle it poor things. Perhaps
they should go for a lie down in their safe space and just hug their teddy bear.

--
Spud

Old December 8th 16, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Ian Jackson wrote
Bill Wright wrote
[...]

I doubt it.

and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next time.

Those that didnít vote because they had decided
that the referendum would fail clearly would.

I doubt it.

More fool you.

There's always a large group of people who never vote no matter what.

Those clearly weren't the ones I made that comment about.

Old December 8th 16, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 21:09:59 +1100
"Rod Speed" wrote:
wrote
Quite a few of them may have decided that the referendum
would fail and kicked themselves when it didnít.

And quite a number who decided it would
succeed anyway so didn't bother either.

I doubt it.

Really? Whats the difference then?

and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next time.

Those that didnít vote because they had decided
that the referendum would fail clearly would.

I doubt it.

More fool you.

If they really cared they would have voted.

There's always a large group of people who never vote no matter what.

Those clearly weren't the ones I made that comment about.

You seem to think there were a lot of closet remainers who casually assumed
remain would win so didn't bother voting. I happen to disagree.

--
Spud

Old December 8th 16, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:
On 07/12/2016 16:32, Ian Jackson wrote:

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government,
non-voters can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next

time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that

we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.

In that respect it mirrors many of life's important decisions.

The idea you can always learn from your mistakes falls as either
events don't repeat themselves or not in a recognisable way.

--
Max Demian
Old December 8th 16, 10:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

Quite a few of them may have decided that the referendum
would fail and kicked themselves when it didnít.

And quite a number who decided it would
succeed anyway so didn't bother either.

I doubt it.

Really?

Yes, really.

Whats the difference then?

That far fewer would have expected the referendum
to succeed do they didnít need to bother to vote.

and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next time.

Those that didnít vote because they had decided
that the referendum would fail clearly would.

I doubt it.

More fool you.

If they really cared they would have voted.

Wrong. Plenty have enough of a clue to have
noticed that their vote is completely irrelevant.

There's always a large group of people who never vote no matter what.

Those clearly weren't the ones I made that comment about.

You seem to think there were a lot of closet remainers who
casually assumed remain would win so didn't bother voting.

Never ever said anything remotely like that and
didnít even mention closet anything either.

I happen to disagree.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?