A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 7th 16, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,139
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

In article , wrote:

Anyone who didn't vote in the referendum with the months of advance
notice given allowing plenty of time to research the issues along with
the availability of postal voting clearly didn't give a **** one way or
the other and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next
time.


Or "clearly" decided they'd been told so many lies by both sides and not
had the facts that they had no idea which way to vote and wanted real info.

Or "clearly" were under 18 but may have wanted to vote before it was too
late (i.e. were old enough that they *would* be 18 by the time we left.)

Or "clearly" various other possible reasons...

So your attempt at telepathy to read *every* mind of *every* person who
didn't vote might just be be missing something.


Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #12  
Old December 7th 16, 04:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,139
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

A quarter of the UK population just forced us *all* to gamble on that!


That's the way democracy works.


Or perhaps an example of when democracy *doesn't* work. :-)

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #13  
Old December 7th 16, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?



"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
...
In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 07/12/2016 12:51, Jim Lesurf wrote:

A quarter of the UK population just forced us *all* to gamble on that!

Jim

Those who didn't vote don't count. So what you mean is, more than half
gave us to opportunity to have a bright future as an independent country.

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government, non-voters
can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.


There can actually. Some PM is free to campaign to
rejoin the EU and even have a referendum on that too.

  #14  
Old December 7th 16, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?



wrote in message news
On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:32:57 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 07/12/2016 12:51, Jim Lesurf wrote:

A quarter of the UK population just forced us *all* to gamble on that!

Jim

Those who didn't vote don't count. So what you mean is, more than half
gave us to opportunity to have a bright future as an independent
country.

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government,
non-voters can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.


Anyone who didn't vote in the referendum with the months of advance
notice given allowing plenty of time to research the issues along with the
availability of postal voting clearly didn't give a **** one way or the
other


Quite a few of them may have decided that the referendum
would fail and kicked themselves when it didnít.

and there's little guarantee they'd be any different next time.


Those that didnít vote because they had decided
that the referendum would fail clearly would.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry, the way things are
going the EU will be busted flush in a decade.


Going to be interesting to see how it goes.

It might just be the eurozone that fails and we might
see a return to just a free trade area with the free
movement of people binned because of the problem
with immigrants from outside the EU and maybe
even the radically undemocratic organisation fixed.

  #15  
Old December 7th 16, 05:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?



"Richard" wrote in message
news
"Nightjar" wrote in message
...

On 06-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Richard wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
...

On 06-Dec-16 2:07 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/12/2016 00:45, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just watched HIGMNFY tonight. No wonder you are so annnoyed. Your
party
getting taken to the cleaners at every turn.

And my party is?

If it was the edition I watched on Dave recently, he must mean the
Labour Party.

Nah. That's your party...


Hardly. I might view some of their aspirations as admirable, but I
wouldn't vote for them. If I had a party, it would be called something
like the Altruistic Capitalist Party - a party dedicated to the idea that
the best way to help the poor is to ensure that the economy is strong and
buoyant and to make sure that everybody get a fair (if not necessarily
equal) share of the spoils.


Form it then because you'll find that the vast majority of the population
will agree wholeheartedly


I doubt it. Bet they couldnít even agree on a
fair (if not necessarily equal) share of the spoils.

and you will be able to create utopia.


Nope, at most a generally agreed on consensus.

Then again, perhaps not.


Absolutely certainly not in fact.

  #18  
Old December 7th 16, 07:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Nightjar
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

On 07-Dec-16 5:49 PM, Richard wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
...

On 06-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Richard wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
...

On 06-Dec-16 2:07 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
On 06/12/2016 00:45, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just watched HIGMNFY tonight. No wonder you are so annnoyed. Your
party
getting taken to the cleaners at every turn.

And my party is?

If it was the edition I watched on Dave recently, he must mean the
Labour Party.

Nah. That's your party...


Hardly. I might view some of their aspirations as admirable, but I
wouldn't vote for them. If I had a party, it would be called something
like the Altruistic Capitalist Party - a party dedicated to the idea
that the best way to help the poor is to ensure that the economy is
strong and buoyant and to make sure that everybody get a fair (if not
necessarily equal) share of the spoils.


Form it then because you'll find that the vast majority of the
population will agree wholeheartedly and you will be able to create
utopia. Then again, perhaps not.


Any new party, however well supported, is going to take decades to be in
a position to form a government, so I wouldn't be around to see it.

--
--

Colin Bignell
  #19  
Old December 8th 16, 12:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,628
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

On 07/12/2016 16:27, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Those who didn't vote don't count. So what you mean is, more than half
gave us to opportunity to have a bright future as an independent country.


Interesting example of how to pretend that those who did not vote aren't
people.


No, I'm not pretending they aren't people. I'm saying they're stupid
idle people who don't deserve a say.

Do you include all those who were too young to vote at the
the time, but will be when we actually leave the EU?


Yes of course. What a barmy concept! Are you suggesting that when a law
with long term implications is made every child should get a vote? The
reason the under age people didn't get a referendum vote is because they
were below the voting age when we had the referendum. Meaning that they
were judged too immature to take part at that time. What do you want,
embryos sitting on jurys?

Bill

  #20  
Old December 8th 16, 12:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,628
Default should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY?

On 07/12/2016 16:32, Ian Jackson wrote:

If a general election results in an unsatisfactory government,
non-voters can redeem themselves by making sure they do vote next time.
Unfortunately, with this referendum, once we have announced that we're
leaving the EU there can't BE a next time.


In that respect it mirrors many of life's important decisions.

Bill
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.