BBC late running

Old December 14th 16, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default BBC late running

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:58:46 +0100, Martin wrote:

I was going to buy a Raspberry Pi for my 9 year old grandson, but I think that
learning to program it would be too difficult for him. What do you think?

Depends on the grandson. I've got a five year old grandson who knows
things like the names of all the planets and what a factorial is, and
a granddaughter who can spell her own name at the age of three, but
your mileage may vary, as they say.

Those things are memory rather than logic.

I knew somebody, with a photographic memory and an Oxford degree, who was near
useless at programming.

Maybe, but the above are just a couple of examples. Another from the
above mentioned grandson is that he once said that if you could travel
to the edge of space you'd be able to see what nothing looked like. I
think that was when he was four. Is that just memory? I've seen and
heard plenty to convince me that there's a lot of interesting and
clever stuff going on in their little heads. Not that I'm biased or
anything, but I think all my grandchildren are wonderful.

Old December 14th 16, 02:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/12/2016 08:51, Martin wrote:

I was going to buy a Raspberry Pi for my 9 year old grandson, but I think that
learning to program it would be too difficult for him. What do you think?

Have you tried asking him whether he would like one?
If he says he wants one and then he gets one, he will be motivated to
use it, particularly if you tell him it is to play with rather than
achieve something specific. Without the pressure to get any particular
outcome, he is free to follow his imagination, which at the age of 9
will be freer to roam than the more regimented secondary school age
group. You might be surprised!

If he says "no thanks" then you can always bring up the subject again in
a couple of years.

Old December 14th 16, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

Depends on the grandson. I've got a five year old grandson who

knows
things like the names of all the planets and what a factorial is,

and
a granddaughter who can spell her own name at the age of three,

but
your mileage may vary, as they say.

Those things are memory rather than logic.

I knew somebody, with a photographic memory and an Oxford degree,

who was near
useless at programming.

Maybe, but the above are just a couple of examples. Another from the
above mentioned grandson is that he once said that if you could

travel
to the edge of space you'd be able to see what nothing looked like.

I trust you speedily corrected him with an account of hyperspheres
and four dimensional space time. g

--
Max Demian
Old December 14th 16, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:15:14 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 14/12/2016 02:09, Graham. wrote:

Remember when there was a few frames of black* between adverts, and
you heard the splice going through the telecine?

*except in London where an animated Rediffusion "Adastral" filled the
gap. I imagine someone thought that was clever.

It was done to keep the video APL 'up' to avoid destabilising the
receivers, and messing up the first few frames of the next ad, in the
days where black level clamp in domestic tellies was a rarity.

I think most ITV companies inserted some sort stabilising animation
between ads back in the 60s ? Southern had a fast zoom in of their
Southern Cross logo ?

I'm in the Northwest, and I think my view may be blinkered.
To the best of my recollection, ABC used the zooming triangle as a
break bumper but just black frames between ads.

Granada didn't even have an animated leader, just an FSS still, and I
don't think things changed much from the viewers perspective until the
breaks were assembled digitally.

I didn't know that they worried too much about blacks being radiated,
I would be more concerned about excessive whites, increased beam
current, and viewers houses burning down.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 15th 16, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:30:09 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

Maybe, but the above are just a couple of examples. Another from the
above mentioned grandson is that he once said that if you could

travel
to the edge of space you'd be able to see what nothing looked like.

I trust you speedily corrected him with an account of hyperspheres
and four dimensional space time. g

I'm sure *he'll* be telling *me* about stuff like that before long.