Programme guide query

Old December 4th 16, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Programme guide query

I had been struggling to deploy a computer program called Kaffeine
2.0.5 because that version supposedly could process DVB-T2 (HD)
signals.

However I couldn't test it because its channel search routine seemed
to find and list everything from Berlin to Hanoi but not UK channels.

Finding no help on the wwww I finally wrote to the developer,
receiving the following reply a couple of days ago.

"Program guides in UK uses non-standard charset tables. Currently,
Kaffeine doesn't have support for that. One of the issues is that it
seems that there are some patent issues related to the usage of such
tables."

So why are we Brits locked out?
Another reason for Bill to Brexit I'll bet.

Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.32-desktop-1.mga5

Old December 4th 16, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 22:14:47 +0000, Pinnerite
wrote:

I had been struggling to deploy a computer program called Kaffeine
2.0.5 because that version supposedly could process DVB-T2 (HD)
signals.

However I couldn't test it because its channel search routine seemed
to find and list everything from Berlin to Hanoi but not UK channels.

Finding no help on the wwww I finally wrote to the developer,
receiving the following reply a couple of days ago.

"Program guides in UK uses non-standard charset tables. Currently,
Kaffeine doesn't have support for that. One of the issues is that it
seems that there are some patent issues related to the usage of such
tables."

So why are we Brits locked out?
Another reason for Bill to Brexit I'll bet.

Alan

My guess is that the developers of the original On Digital
subscription service had little interest in the Open Source paradigm.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 5th 16, 02:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No I don't give a ****.

Old December 5th 16, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

This sounds to me abit like boulderdash.
One thing I have noticed of late is my very old smart talk box can no
longer keep a whole program guide in its memory, resulting in no information
available on some channels if you invoke th guid from a different multiplex
than the channel is on. Sometimes it catches up but then it loses other
ones.
I suppose its running out of memory and it is now rather old as well. but
my feeling is that from what I could recal from the original spec of the
software in this box, nothing whatever is different its just text and that
is it.

news

Old December 5th 16, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:26:17 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

This sounds to me abit like boulderdash.
One thing I have noticed of late is my very old smart talk box can

no
longer keep a whole program guide in its memory, resulting in no

information
available on some channels if you invoke th guid from a different

multiplex
than the channel is on. Sometimes it catches up but then it loses

other
ones.
I suppose its running out of memory and it is now rather old as

well. but
my feeling is that from what I could recal from the original spec

of the
software in this box, nothing whatever is different its just text

and that
is it.

Sounds like the problems experienced by the Humax 9200T (which came
out late 2005 and had several software upgrades to cope with
transmission changes and lack of processor speed): slow response to
commands from remote and front panel and loss of EPG data more than a
day or two hence.

--
Max Demian
Old December 5th 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 04/12/16 22:14, Pinnerite wrote:
I had been struggling to deploy a computer program called Kaffeine
2.0.5 because that version supposedly could process DVB-T2 (HD)
signals.

However I couldn't test it because its channel search routine seemed
to find and list everything from Berlin to Hanoi but not UK channels.

Finding no help on the wwww I finally wrote to the developer,
receiving the following reply a couple of days ago.

"Program guides in UK uses non-standard charset tables. Currently,
Kaffeine doesn't have support for that. One of the issues is that it
seems that there are some patent issues related to the usage of such
tables."

So why are we Brits locked out?
Another reason for Bill to Brexit I'll bet.

Alan

On DVB-T2 the EIT tables are compressed using Huffman coding, using the
same coding table as Freesat. This reduces the size of the EIT and thus
the bandwidth that has to be used to broadcast it.

I believe that the coding table is subject to copyright and is not
generally made available. However it was speedily reverse engineered and
most open-source media players include the reverse-engineered version by
default.
--
Dave

Old December 6th 16, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

dave wrote:

[...]

That was very informative. I have spent an hour so searching for a
possible link to the reverse-engineered details, in order to send
them to the Kaffeine team but failed to do so.

Regards, Alan

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.32-desktop-1.mga5

Old December 6th 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 06/12/16 11:44, Pinnerite wrote:

That was very informative. I have spent an hour so searching for a
possible link to the reverse-engineered details, in order to send
them to the Kaffeine team but failed to do so.

Hint taken...
http://www.rst38.org.uk/vdr/freesat_tables_complete.zip

This link points to a patch for the VDR video recorder application,
which shows how to use the tables to do the decode:
http://www.rst38.org.uk/vdr/freesat_vdr2.2.0.diff
--
Dave
Old December 6th 16, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Pinnerite
wrote:

On DVB-T2 the EIT tables are compressed using Huffman coding, using

the
same coding table as Freesat. This reduces the size of the EIT and

thus
the bandwidth that has to be used to broadcast it.

I believe that the coding table is subject to copyright and is not
generally made available. However it was speedily reverse

engineered and
most open-source media players include the reverse-engineered

version by
default.

That was very informative. I have spent an hour so searching for a
possible link to the reverse-engineered details, in order to send them
to the Kaffeine team but failed to do so.

FWIW I don't have any problems with scanning DVB-T2 muxes and reading their
details using a program I wrote that makes use of the DVB utils, etc,
available in the Linux repos (Mint). (Using a 290e USB dongle.)

Actually, I do get one problem in use. That the broadcasters keep farting
about with the details. So when that affects any stations I want to record
I have to do a rescan and sort out the results. I guess this is because
the developers aren't all in the UK and don't realise how often the
Uk broadcasters keep shuffling the dekchairs.

And there tends to be an initial install snag that the basic details of the
TX list supplied tends to be way out of date. So you tend to need to know
the TX frequencies to do the scans. Root cause of the out-of-date data
may be as per above.

No idea why Kaffine apparently canna be bothered to deal with this. The
above has worked here for years.