TV sound d/a conversion

Old December 2nd 16, 10:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Default TV sound d/a conversion

My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0148KYD0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converte r

There is then rather a leap up to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digital-Analogue-Stereo-Converter/dp/B002AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converter

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old December 2nd 16, 11:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Brown

On 02/12/2016 10:32, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Opt...dp/B0148KYD0U/

There is then rather a leap up to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digit...dp/B002AKXG5E/

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

I had the same with my most recent TV. I can't recall which model of
opto DAC I got but I did find one that could be powered directly by a
USB socket on the TV to avoid yet another wall wart syndrome.

I'd caution against the very cheapest and would have preferred mine if
it had produced true line out spec signals when compared to my existing
signal sources. The TV opto DAC is about 6dB quieter than everything
else connected to the main power amp with the one I bought. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old December 2nd 16, 11:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

The DAC I used for this seems to work OK.

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/Headp...C/HeadDAC.html

Old December 2nd 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 2 December 2016 10:32:13 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0148KYD0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converte r

There is then rather a leap up to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digital-Analogue-Stereo-Converter/dp/B002AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converter

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Does your AMP has HDMI? The TV supports Audio Return Channel via HDMI.
Old December 2nd 16, 12:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 02/12/16 10:32, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

Nice TV, why not investigate the bits to do surround sound?

Lots of 5.1 dolby digital receivers on eBay, folks get rid of them
cheaply ( 50) the ones that don't have HDMI sockets.

--
Adrian C
Old December 2nd 16, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Friday, 2 December 2016 10:32:13 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0148KYD0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converte r

There is then rather a leap up to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digital-Analogue-Stereo-Converter/dp/B002AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converter

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

Does your AMP has HDMI? The TV supports Audio Return Channel via HDMI.

My amp predates HDMI by a considerable amount, so I don't think
that is the way to go.

Regards
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old December 2nd 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan Dawes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Opt...onverter/dp/B0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digit...verter/dp/B002

AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+to+analo

gue+tv+audio+converter

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

The cheap one is likely to be made in a secondary factory in China with
minimal quality control from components which are either classed as
seconds or recycled. You may get a very good one but you are just as
likely to get a poor one. There is no power supply with the cheap product.

The quality control of the Lindy product will be much more consistent as
they need to protect their reputation and have had good reviews in the
HiFi press despite being relatively cheap. (Richer Sounds do a similar
product - the CYP AUD3-192)

Some years ago when I got a Samsung monitor TV I was going to get that
Lindy DAC but realised that I'd also find use for one that also allowed
digital audio via USB and a headphone output with volume control so looked
at the more expensive Lindy one:

http://www.whathifi.com/lindy/20376/overview

However I found that Maplin did the same product without the Lindy
branding at a lower price - they still do it (although the price is quite
a bit more than I paid):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to...FcE_GwodzeEPJw

It's worked faultlessly and the sound is good.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Old December 2nd 16, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 2 December 2016 12:18:31 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/12/16 10:32, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my
existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar
looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the
cheapest:

Nice TV, why not investigate the bits to do surround sound?

Lots of 5.1 dolby digital receivers on eBay, folks get rid of them
cheaply ( £50) the ones that don't have HDMI sockets.

--
Adrian C

I upgraded from a 1996 Sherwood AV amp to a Sony STRDN 800 when I upgraded my TV in 2009 when our area went digital. It cost about £150 then, but has plenty of inputs and takes digital sound from the TV optically.

Both the spec' and the price have moved up - this is the current equivalent..
http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../sony-strdn860
Old December 2nd 16, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Opt...-Converter/dp/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digit...onverter/dp/B0
02AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+to
+analogue+tv+audio+converter

Does anybody have personal experience or recommendations?

I'd solder wires to the speaker terminals. Sod digital.

--
Max Demian