TV sound d/a conversion

Old December 2nd 16, 04:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

Default TV sound d/a conversion

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 2nd 16, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

No headphone socket, I might have tried it otherwise.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old December 2nd 16, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

No headphone socket, I might have tried it otherwise.

Chris

You wouldn't want to tap of the speakers like someone's suggested the
Earth on the TV chassis is anything but. Optical link does provide
excellent isolation..
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 2nd 16, 08:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 02/12/16 20:52, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

No headphone socket, I might have tried it otherwise.

Chris

You wouldn't want to tap of the speakers like someone's suggested the
Earth on the TV chassis is anything but. Optical link does provide
excellent isolation..

I've done it from headphone sockets NP. Earth IS earth pretty much on a
modern set..

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Old December 2nd 16, 11:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

No headphone socket, I might have tried it otherwise.

Chris

You wouldn't want to tap of the speakers like someone's suggested the
Earth on the TV chassis is anything but. Optical link does provide
excellent isolation..

If only someone did a Toslink adaptor with some makeup gain.

--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Old December 3rd 16, 07:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Capitol[_2_]

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Brian wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not something
you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may not be as good
either.

The problem I found was the need for another volume control.
Old December 3rd 16, 08:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

You wouldn't want to tap of the speakers like someone's suggested the
Earth on the TV chassis is anything but. Optical link does provide
excellent isolation..

If only someone did a Toslink adaptor with some makeup gain.

Agreed. A switch to change the DAC reference voltage, would be a good
addition.

If DIY, would be trivial for a one off, just find a data sheet for the chip?

--
Adrian C
Old December 3rd 16, 08:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Adrian Caspersz

You wouldn't want to tap of the speakers like someone's suggested the
Earth on the TV chassis is anything but. Optical link does provide
excellent isolation..

If only someone did a Toslink adaptor with some makeup gain.

Agreed. A switch to change the DAC reference voltage, would be a good
addition.

If DIY, would be trivial for a one off, just find a data sheet for the
chip?

FWIW I just used a cheap Velleman/CPC kit for gain and modified it to suit.
Easier and quicker then from scratch.

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/HeadDAC2/HeadDAC2.html

But if you only need variable attenuation, then a pot or some resistors
would do.

Old December 3rd 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan Dawes

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Brian wrote:
Does it have an earphone socket?

It may well have. But frequently the cable will then show - not
something you want for a permanent installation. And the quality may
not be as good either.

The problem I found was the need for another volume control.

I've found the Sennheiser Headphone stereo volume control effective
particulalry if one ear is less sensitive than the other.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-.../dp/B000H0K8VY

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6