Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

Old November 27th 16, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand; working
my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit Ethernet in the
bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling me
that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want to power
down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up the
individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 Pro x64

---

Old November 27th 16, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
David wrote:

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand;
working my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit
Ethernet in the bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling
me that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want
to power down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up
the individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

I can be watching a recorded programme on my Humax and it will ask me if
I want it to shut down in one minute's time.

--
Davey.
Old November 28th 16, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 28/11/2016 09:02, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:37:50 +0000, wrote:

On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
wrote:

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand;
working my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit
Ethernet in the bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling
me that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want
to power down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up
the individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

I can be watching a recorded programme on my Humax and it will ask me if
I want it to shut down in one minute's time.

That's because either you or it turned the timer on. I've had it happen once.
I've never used the timer.

Some Humax boxes come defaulted to turn off after a period of
inactivity, without actually defining what "inactivity" consists of.
It can be reset to "never" or to a longer period so that it doesn't turn
off before the end of a long programme.

Check the menus to see if your box is one of them.

Old November 28th 16, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:11:14 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 28/11/2016 09:02, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:37:50 +0000,
wrote:
On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
wrote:

[...]

Jim

Yes, it is set to, I think, three hours of inactivity. But I count
actually watching a recording as 'activity', that's what the machine is
made for, so this part of its behaviour seems daft.

--
Davey.
Old November 28th 16, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue
up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to pause for a
T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to start
each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Old November 28th 16, 12:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:15:44 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue
up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to
pause for a T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to
start each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Yes, it is three hours or so after I have last done anything other than
starting to watch the recording. It ignores the fact that I started to
watch it as an event to reset the shutdown clock.
It's not a problem, just slightly annoying, and unnecessary.

--
Davey.
Old November 28th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes auto power down. Its on an old box I have but one can turn it off in
the settings.
I'm not totally sure what goes on but sometimes it tends to do this even
when the feature is turned off. Not enough debugging I suspect.

It's a Humax, of course it hasn't had enough testing

It's their MO

tim

Old November 28th 16, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 28/11/2016 10:33, tim... wrote:

It's a Humax, of course it hasn't had enough testing

It's their MO

Is anyone else better?

At least it's better than my Tomtom. That goes deaf after a week or so
of commuting, and requires a cold start. Obviously a resource leak.

Andy
Old November 29th 16, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:34:00 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 28/11/2016 10:33, tim... wrote:

It's a Humax, of course it hasn't had enough testing

It's their MO

Is anyone else better?

At least it's better than my Tomtom. That goes deaf after a week or so
of commuting, and requires a cold start. Obviously a resource leak.

Tom Tom, bugs and all, is superior to the rubbish Nissan puts in their car
sat
navs. Nissan claimed in a court case against staff who stole them that
they cost
2,500 each.

That'll be the complete costs of the central console unit

not the costs of incrementally adding the sat nav facility

tim