Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/)
-   -   Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/35743-lack-logic-grumble-humax-freesat.html)

David[_14_] November 27th 16 05:46 PM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand; working
my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit Ethernet in the
bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling me
that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want to power
down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up the
individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 Windows 7 Pro x64

---

Davey November 27th 16 06:37 PM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
David wrote:

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand;
working my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit
Ethernet in the bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling
me that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want
to power down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up
the individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

I can be watching a recorded programme on my Humax and it will ask me if
I want it to shut down in one minute's time.

--
Davey.

Brian Gaff November 28th 16 09:12 AM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

Yes auto power down. Its on an old box I have but one can turn it off in the
settings.
I'm not totally sure what goes on but sometimes it tends to do this even
when the feature is turned off. Not enough debugging I suspect.

Indy Jess John November 28th 16 10:11 AM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

On 28/11/2016 09:02, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:37:50 +0000, wrote:

On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
wrote:

Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand;
working my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit
Ethernet in the bedroom has its advantages.

When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling
me that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want
to power down or stay on.

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue up
the individual recordings.

Software "feature" no doubt.

Grump

Dave R

I can be watching a recorded programme on my Humax and it will ask me if
I want it to shut down in one minute's time.

That's because either you or it turned the timer on. I've had it happen once.
I've never used the timer.

Some Humax boxes come defaulted to turn off after a period of
inactivity, without actually defining what "inactivity" consists of.
It can be reset to "never" or to a longer period so that it doesn't turn
off before the end of a long programme.

Check the menus to see if your box is one of them.

Jim

tim...[_2_] November 28th 16 10:33 AM

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes auto power down. Its on an old box I have but one can turn it off in
the settings.
I'm not totally sure what goes on but sometimes it tends to do this even
when the feature is turned off. Not enough debugging I suspect.

It's a Humax, of course it hasn't had enough testing

It's their MO

tim

Davey November 28th 16 11:39 AM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:11:14 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 28/11/2016 09:02, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:37:50 +0000,
wrote:
On 27 Nov 2016 17:46:18 GMT
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is set to, I think, three hours of inactivity. But I count
actually watching a recording as 'activity', that's what the machine is
made for, so this part of its behaviour seems daft.

--
Davey.

Andy Burns[_12_] November 28th 16 12:15 PM

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue
up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to pause for a
T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to start
each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Davey November 28th 16 12:54 PM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:15:44 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue
up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to
pause for a T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to
start each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Yes, it is three hours or so after I have last done anything other than
starting to watch the recording. It ignores the fact that I started to
watch it as an event to reset the shutdown clock.
It's not a problem, just slightly annoying, and unnecessary.

--
Davey.

I'm Old Gregg[_5_] November 28th 16 02:28 PM

Andy Burns wrote:

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to cue
up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to
pause for a T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to
start each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Yes, it is three hours or so after I have last done anything other than
starting to watch the recording. It ignores the fact that I started to
watch it as an event to reset the shutdown clock.
It's not a problem, just slightly annoying, and unnecessary.

Could it be that it's not the Box complaining but the TV/Screen, I some
times get this
happen on my Samsung TV, when I watch the STB for a long period, oh time.

OG

Davey November 28th 16 02:43 PM

Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD

Andy Burns wrote:

Martin wrote:

David wrote:

I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic ability to
cue up the individual recordings.

I'd guess that they think most people would use the controller to
pause for a T/P break before the three hour point is reached.

I thought the point was that he *had* been using the controller to
start each successive recording, but it still timed-out?

Yes, it is three hours or so after I have last done anything other
than starting to watch the recording. It ignores the fact that I
started to watch it as an event to reset the shutdown clock.
It's not a problem, just slightly annoying, and unnecessary.

Could it be that it's not the Box complaining but the TV/Screen, I
some times get this
happen on my Samsung TV, when I watch the STB for a long period, oh
time.

OG

No, pressing the Humax buttons stops it, it's definitely a Humax thing.
Funnily enough, it then stays on for hours and hours, ignoring the 3
hour period, even when nothing is changed at all, such as when we
watch the TV instead of the Humax.

I don't know if these are anything to do with the Customised Firmware,
and I can't be bothered to experiment to find out, but I don't know of
any parts of the CF that are supposed to address this shutdown timer,
it's just built in to the machine.

--
Davey.